Baby Boy Nursery Reveal!!

I am SO excited to finally show you the baby’s nursery! Venturing into boy territory is a whole new world and the nursery was kind of my first run at it.  The hands down best part though is how involved Court was on everything.  You guys. He has literally no opinion about decor ever.  But this room? This room is apparently wayyy more important than anything else we’ve done in our house to date.

DSC_0425

DSC_0410

DSC_0420

The space itself was sort of a hodge podge of crap.  It had 3 different paint colors on the walls (its like America’s Test Kitchen for my house apparently) it had no flooring, no closet doors, was the catch all for project contraband, AND had a giant recliner in it.  This room is seriously embarrassing but I didn’t want to just decorate it to decorate it. It needed a higher purpose.

I wanted the room to feel boy-ish and fun, with some really heavy childlike elements without making you feel like you stepped into a Fisher-Price catalog. Ya know? I had a really hard time deciding on a color scheme and ultimately went with a really great rust, mustard yellow, olive green and navy.  It still feels classic, but is an updated version.

So do you want to see what it looks like now?

Baby Boy Nursery Makeover Ideas

Click through to see the rest of the space!

Baby Boy Nursery Mid Century Vintage Rocking Chair

Baby Boy Nursery-Vintage Dresser Changing Station

Baby Boy Nursery-House Frame Crib and Giant Stuffed Cactus

There are just so many things to talk about!

Lets start with the wall color.  For this room I teamed up with my family (we’ve moved past the friendship phase, we are full on blood related at this point) at Sherwin-Williams to announce their 2016 Color of the Year (you can see my 2015 announcement here!)

Sherwin-Williams Alabaster

The 2016 Color of the Year is SW-7008 Alabaster and is the most perfect slightly warm white.  I think sometimes people feel like if they love color, then they need a bold color on the walls, but that is so not the case!  If you love color, white walls give you freedom to use it WAY more than you would be able to if you committed to something dramatic.

Baby Boy Nursery Sherwin Williams Alabaster

The floor got a major upgrade when we decided to continue the engineered hardwood from the main living areas into this space (its something that you’ll see in the future in the other bedrooms too).

There are so many things in the little gremlin’s room that play nicely together its hard to pick a stand out star.

The jumping off point was the stacked animal block wall. I love a good plywood project and when I was trying to come up with something babyish without being cheesy or too trendy. Animal blocks just seemed like the perfect answer.  It frustrates me to no end how hard it is to get the size of the room to translate into photos.  This wall is 10 feet tall and 12 feet wide, just for reference.

Baby Boy Nursery-Giant Stacked Animal Block Wall Treatment

Everyone in the fam has their favorite critter (mine are the porcupines).  Aren’t they just the cutest?!  We’ll delve pretty deep into this project, so stay tuned!  The hardest part designwise was to make sure that none of our wooden friends found themselves in um… compromising positions?

Baby Boy Nursery-Wooden Animal Wall Treatment

One of my favorite elements in the room is the crib.  We had big plans and actually built new sides to upgrade a basic IKEA crib, but when we finished, it just wasn’t special enough. So we scrapped it and decided to do something else.  The house frame is completely removable (when he starts getting big enough to use it like a jungle gym).  We can just move it to a different part of the room and have an adorable little playhouse, so it grows with him! Tutorial coming on that!  (Don’t worry, we are still using the hanging cradle, its just going to be in my room)

The sock sloth was a quick 30 minute sewing project that just melts my heart! Don’t you just love him?!

Baby Boy Nursery-House Frame Crib Wooden Animal Wall Treatmentjpg

Baby Boy Nursery Hanging Sock Sloth

Speaking of sewing, it would not be a true Vintage Revivals room without a cactus right?!  Well obviously that wasn’t going to happen, especially the giant floor cactus of my dreams.  I took the path of least resistance and and most huggablitliy and made a giant plush cactus, complete with stackable squishy stones to fill the pot. (Psst, that little bear cub in the bottom corner is Court’s favorite animal because it reminds him of the old school Cubs logo.  Adorable.)

Baby Boy Nursery-House Frame Crib and Giant Stuffed Cactus

Baby Boy Nursery-Plush Rocks

The boy scout giraffe just kills me.  I fiercely love his weirdness.

Baby Boy Nursery-Boy Scout Giraffe Art

On the other side of this little room we have the changing station.

Baby Boy Nursery-Vintage Dresser Changing Station

Remember last week when I hinted about the Himmeli Letters?  We are just finishing up all of the video tutorials and they should be ready in the next week and 1/2 (hopefully!!)  The little guy’s name is still undecided, though we do have a front runner (I love it more than Court does so we’ll see…) so I need to come up with something that wasn’t the baby’s undecided name. And I didn’t want normal nursery stuff (like Sleep, or Dream, or Baby) Wee Boy just has such a cute ring to it.

Baby Boy Nursery-Wee Boy Geometric Lettters

Baby Boy Nursery-21 copy

The hanging diaper holder is an awesome way to clear up more space on the dresser (and it only took 15 minutes!)

Baby Boy Nursery-8

The triangle shelves are just so good.  I had them staged all adorable with little plants and vases and Court vetoed it immediately.  He then proceeded to go to his mom’s and find all of his old baseball cards and stage it himself.  While it might not be the most pinterest-worthy vignette it just makes me grin like a fool every time I see it, so it stays just the way it is. Obviously there are no expectations for the kids future.

Baby Boy Nursery Triangle Shelves

Baby Boy Nursery-40

Baby Boy Nursery-41

Baby Boy Nursery BiFold Closet Door Upgrade

Baby Boy Nursery-25  Baby Boy Nursery Ideas

I LOVE how this room turned out.  I cant wait to start sharing the tutorials with you guys, hang on tight cause there are a lot! (Source List, Crib, Wall Treatment, Cactus, Sloth, Crib Sheet, Triangle Shelf, Changing Tray, Closet Doors, Installing Hardwood, Himmeli Letters, Hanging Diaper Caddy, Rope Fringe Pillow)

So now lets chat a little bit more about paint.  After I did a ton of research about the safest/best paint to use in a nursery I ended up using Sherwin-Williams Harmony on the walls and ProClassic on the doors, trim, and house structure on the crib.  If your wondering about why I chose the paint formulas that I did, read that post and educate yourself.

When Sherwin-Williams told me what their 2016 Color of the Year was in July I was SO excited. I love a good white wall.  It gives you so much freedom to unleash the beast and do really brave things to a space.  Picking the perfect shade of white can be daunting. Alabaster is a slightly warmer version and breathes life into wood and warmer color tones.

Baby Boy Nursery Makeover Ideas

So what do you think?  Are we ready to have a baby?!

LoveYourGuts14

Need more kiddie room ideas?  Check out Dylan’s Dream Room!

RainbowHoneyCombWallLittleGirlsRoomM[2]

• Jovan 18.11.2015 at 15:55

Adorable!! That little guy will have so much fun growing young in that room! How fun is it to give kiddos such a space to explore and make memories! Ignoring my husband’s protests I just recently re-painted our whole house Alabaster! After doing our own nursery in that color I loved the white! It left no pink, blue, or yellow tones in our home. Good job Momma!! XOXO

• Mandi 18.11.2015 at 16:31

Yay!! Alabaster lovers unite!! Its such a good white right!?

• Sarah Card 18.11.2015 at 15:58

Insaaaaaaaane. I love every detail, Mandy!

• Molly 18.11.2015 at 16:03

This room is beyond amazing. You can legit feel the love you guys have for him with all the cool little details.
    Also – the old school Cub’s bear that Court likes looks like he if kneeling in prayer next to where your little man will rest his head. Totally dig that.

• Jaclyn 18.11.2015 at 16:03

That. Wall.

You nailed it Mandi. While this look is not my particular style, there is no debating how beautiful it is. This is probably my favorite reveal since the Nugget.

Once again, I am in awe of your work. Well done.

• Mandi 18.11.2015 at 16:30

Thanks Jaclyn!

• Cindy 18.11.2015 at 19:15

I agree with this completely. That cactus has my heart. So well cone!!

• Cindy 18.11.2015 at 19:15

*done

• Lyndsey 18.11.2015 at 16:11

The crib is a fantastic idea! I would totally have used it a few years back…

• Jaclyn 18.11.2015 at 16:13

Cutest nursery I’ve ever seen!!! I love every single thing in there! I can’t wait for the tutorials! My first baby just turned one. I wish you had yours before mine so I could’ve decorated his room like this! Did you make the plaid crib sheets? I want them! It’s so hard to find baby bedding that’s not too cheesy!

• Mandi 18.11.2015 at 16:14

Yep I did make it! It is so hard finding stuff that isn’t gaggy right?! The fabric is from Target sheets!

• Lauren @ Oh Hey! I Like That! 18.11.2015 at 16:14

This is AMAZING!!! I love all of the animals on the wall, but I think my favorite animal in the room is the sock sloth!

• Mandi 18.11.2015 at 16:30

He is for sure the mascot of the entire space (sorry boy scout giraffe!)

• Cathy Lane 18.11.2015 at 16:24

The animal wall is seriously the freshest most awesome thing I’ve seen in a long time. Really good work. (And the boy scout giraffe was the key to classic funkyness.) Take a well deserved bow!

• Mandi 18.11.2015 at 16:30

Thanks lady!

• Lena 18.11.2015 at 16:25

Oh my… I absolutely love everything about this room! E-ve-ry-thing! But I must admit my favorite is the wall decor with all those super cute wood animals :) You made them, off course, right? You have to show us how! And I sincerely think you should consider start selling all of those wood things you make. I don’t know how you manage to do everything being so pregnant, I remember I was always so tired… Congratulations on the great work you always do!

• Mandi 18.11.2015 at 16:29

You just might be predicting the future…..;)

• Joellyn 18.11.2015 at 16:38

I’m truly impressed with the amount of creativity that went into every corner of this room. Every detail is unique and adorable. Hats off! Can you please tell me more about the closet doors? Is this another DIY or did you buy them that way?

• Jennie Jones 18.11.2015 at 16:48

I am so in love with this room!! Adorable but not cheesy! I love the white walls and was wondering what finish you used and then what did you paint the trim? Same color? different finish? Keep up the good work!

• Andrea S. 18.11.2015 at 16:48

Very cute. I have to ask, where did you find the dresser?

• Jasmine Poole 18.11.2015 at 16:53

This is seriously SO gorgeous. It’s pulling at my heart strings!
    Jas Poole Blog | photography & lifestyle

• Lisa Dinsmore 18.11.2015 at 16:54

Love it!!! Seriously a stuffed cactus, leave it to you…it’s adorable! The whole thing turned out great!

• Christina D 18.11.2015 at 16:56

God Bless your family and soon to come addition Mandi. You hit it out of the park, again-I love your kids rooms!! Can’t wait to hear the little guys name. His room is awesome👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Britt 18.11.2015 at 16:58

This is absolutely perfect!! I love everything about it! And those himmeli letters are so insanely good!! Congrats on you new little guy!

• Michelle 18.11.2015 at 16:58

Every detail is perfect! I love the animal wall!
    What color blue is the frame over the bed?

• Cheree Salter 18.11.2015 at 17:02

Ooookayyyy. Obsessed with this space. I’m due with my second boy in April and this gave me nursery fever. That dresser. I want it so bad. I absolutely LOVE the hanging diaper storage as well. BRILLIANT! Please come design my nursery for me too. Mmkay? Thanks! 😉

xx, Cheree

• marcia 18.11.2015 at 17:17

Cheers to the best nursery of all time!!!

• Britney 18.11.2015 at 17:24

This is gorgeous! You’re style is so inspiring to me! Little boy is going to love his room!

• Carolyn 18.11.2015 at 17:42

I LOVE IT! Although the first thought I had was that I could never do something as cute as that critter wall for my 4 yr old son because he is part mountain goat. He would get his little toes and fingers worked in there and be at the top of that wall in a flash!! He begs to go to the rock gym constantly and he can already make it up the 4 story slanted wall. Boys!

• Sabrina 18.11.2015 at 17:43

I am slow clapping right now for this room!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE all the details!!! I’ve loved a lot of your projects, but this is my favorite!

• Jan 18.11.2015 at 17:44

Love! You are amazing!

• Katrina 18.11.2015 at 17:44

LOVE IT! This nursery is going to blow up on the internet!

The animal wall, the giant fabric cactus, I just cant! Great, Mandi now I want to have another baby. See what you have done? 😉

• Jessica 18.11.2015 at 18:04

Everything looks awesome! Please tell me more about the closet doors!

• Maria 18.11.2015 at 18:06

It looks incredible Mandi. Your creativity is beyond control. The room looks lovely and full of cute details, I love how simple yet interesting it look. That is a lucky baby!

• Cathy | the Grit and Polish 18.11.2015 at 18:09

Love the nursery! All your work is gorgeous, but this might just be my favorite room that you’ve done yet. Those animal cutouts are genius!

• emily 18.11.2015 at 18:10

EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING! This is so perfect and you are a true creative genius! Can’t wait for the Himmeli letter tutorial!

• JoDi 18.11.2015 at 18:13

Sock sloth for the win! Amazing! Love every detail. I’m so glad there is going to be a tutorial for those closet doors. They’re so much more interesting than typical bi-folds.

• Stephanie Rutledge 18.11.2015 at 18:27

What a stunning room! I don’t know what I like more, the gorgeous dresser, that animal wall or that super unique crib!

• brittanyMakes 18.11.2015 at 18:30

OH! I LOVE IT!!!!! Your skills with wood never cease to amaze. I love it all, and it’s totally you! Great work, Mandy!

• Aubrey Kinch 18.11.2015 at 18:41

You kill me with how creative and awesome you are at pulling the best spaces together!
    It’s perfect, Mandy!

• Aubrey Kinch 18.11.2015 at 18:42

MANDI- goodness I knew this. :)
    Forgive me!

• Sarah 18.11.2015 at 18:51

WOW! Seriously amazing and very original. I love the wall stacked with animals. You just keep getting better and better :)

• Kemley 18.11.2015 at 19:10

AH-mazing! Those animal cutouts……. So unique and perfect! I just revealed my little guys nursery on my newly started blog, doesn’t even compare to yours but check it out! http://www.kemleydesign.blogspot.com

• Mandi 18.11.2015 at 19:15

Kemley it is so cute!!! That buffalo art!!!

• Erica 18.11.2015 at 19:56

Mandi – holy SH!T! I never comment on blogs. I never ever leave my feedly reader, and I NEVER swear, but when I saw this room, I was almost on the floor. You knocked it out of the freaking park. The WALL is amazing. THE CRIB IS AMAZING. THE DIAPER HOLDER IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please give me your house. Now… tell us the name! :) JK, JK.

• Dani 18.11.2015 at 20:21

Wow, this is absolutely the most original, beautiful nursery I have ever seen. I love everything you do but this is my favorite project I think. That animal wall… Is beyond description. And the stuffed cactus! I just don’t have words for how amazing I think this is. Well done!!!

• Kate 18.11.2015 at 20:38

This is so, so cute! The animal wall is amazing.

• Jolene 18.11.2015 at 20:57

wow! The amount of cool in here is staggering! The animal wall is truly outstanding. Fabulous creativity and execution!

• Cynthia 18.11.2015 at 21:05

I love that animal wall and the triangle shelves! The feel of the room is just SOOO GOOD!

• Mary Wilding 18.11.2015 at 21:11

I love that you and your husband both worked on this room together…more important than a darling room for your little guy (and it is perfect) is your teamwork and ability to love him and each other unconditionally! As a maternity nurse, too often I see the focus on things less important. New babies are definitely the closet we get to heaven on earth here! Best wishes to you on a safe delivery and healthy baby! Mary Wilding

• Pauline Henderson 18.11.2015 at 21:28

Oh my word! You are killing me with those animal blocks! I can’t get over it! The whole room is amazing, but those animals… Can I just keep talking about those animals!?..

• Amy 18.11.2015 at 22:24

I have a girl and a boy and I love that you went non-blue in your little boys’ new room! That crib is rockin’!

• Celene 18.11.2015 at 22:29

Boys love their mamas forever no matter what and you will love him and your hubby even more than you think possible when you see them doing guy things together. What a wonderful, nurturing home you are creating. Your strong faith and commitment to living the good life is inspiring. I love to look at your blog because of your really unique design voice. What truly sets you apart from the others is how a total stranger can read your words or see your pictures and feel like she knows you. God bless you and your little family! Thank you so much for sharing your amazing gifts. And certainly Team Porcupine all the way!!!

• Lara 18.11.2015 at 23:22

i am having a baby boy in just shy of 3 weeks! (Eeek) i wish the nursery that i came up with was as good as this!! You’re right, it is hard to come up with something that doesn’t look like out of a catalog. i wish i could step more outside the box and have your brilliant mind!!! this really is amazing.

• jodie 19.11.2015 at 00:20

that light fixture is fantastic. where did you get it? the whole room really is smashing. great job!

• Kelli 19.11.2015 at 00:57

My first thought when I saw the first after picture was, “WHYYYYY? Why does she have to be so much better than me?” I’m insanely jealous of your creativity AND execution. It’s just not fair that you have it all and I have none. If I could change one thing about this room, it would be to put it in my house. Great job!

• Jamie 19.11.2015 at 05:00

Words fail me. Just stunning. Also, how awesome that you actually thought about the animals being in a compromising position? I can totally see my husband and I finishing the project and THEN realizing that the porcupine was sniffing the squirrel’s butt (or worse). I really did laugh out loud when I read that. I love it!!!

• Megan 19.11.2015 at 05:01

Wow. Just wow. Love!

• Allison Hodson 19.11.2015 at 18:00

OF COURSE you would make a soft fluffy cactus. Of course.

• Jessica @ Dear Emmeline 19.11.2015 at 18:12

Oh my cuteness!! LOVE it!

• Mindi 19.11.2015 at 18:19

Mandi, I can’t even describe how much fun this room is and you have so many amazing projects in it!! I looks awesome! Great job, and I love that Court had his say…can’t wait for the tutorials! High five!

• Sara @ shabby grace blog 19.11.2015 at 18:28

This might be one of my favorite nurserys ever!!!!! This is amazing! The colors, texture! Oh my! I love it ALL!!!!! Well done!

• Beth 19.11.2015 at 19:34

WOW, I mean WOW! This room is insanely fantastic. Every details is incredible. Heck change out the crib for a bed and I want to move in to this room! Fun, whimsical and so versatile for a growing baby. I do love the color, it lets all the other colors shine! The mid-century furniture is to dye for! As always you outdid yourself! BRAVO!

• Sarah 19.11.2015 at 19:55

That dresser/baby changing station is. Ah. Mazing. Where did you find that piece?! 😍😍😍😍😍

• Susan M. 19.11.2015 at 20:06

WOW.WOW.WOW. Makes me want to get pregnant with a baby boy. Of course, no chance as I am beyond child bearing years! Hmmm… maybe I need to convince one of my daughters to have another??!!

• Rose A. 19.11.2015 at 20:14

Congratulation on a job well done, now go rest before the baby is here cause you won’t be able to take naps when he’s arrives.

• Charlotte @ Ciburbanity 19.11.2015 at 20:41

What a TRIUMPH!!! The perfect degree of whimsy and fun and BABY! Can’t wait to see the little life that gets to live there! I only JUST designed my first nursery last spring with #5 and I LOVE them. You outdid ourself, lady. Congrats and be well! xx Charlotte

• Mary 19.11.2015 at 20:49

Love. It. All. Like I knew I would! Couldn’t even pick a favorite part if I tried. AND I have a 6 wk old nephew, Janssen Harvey, who I can’t get enough of… Let the DIYs begin!!

• Lulu 19.11.2015 at 20:52

I’m starting to feel bad at my lack of creativity after seeing this post. You are truly talented! Sloth tutorial to come?

• Nadia T. 19.11.2015 at 20:52

This room is so stinkin’ adorable, I can’t stand it. I absolutely love the cactus! Good job on the wall as well, very original and I love how it’s wood because it looks very minimal and its not too much color all at once.

• tristie 19.11.2015 at 20:54

Love the closet and the hardware SO much. The cactus. The changing table. The wood animals. YAY.

• Irma 19.11.2015 at 21:38

Girl, you are brilliant and talented!
    I love the animals, the cactus,
    That cool door(where’d you get that?)
    Love your blog!!

• Linda 19.11.2015 at 22:12

Absolutely stunning! I so enjoyed your creativity with the animal cut outs. They are perfect and you didn’t spend 5K to do a room like so many I see these days. Way to go mama!

• Eddie 22.11.2015 at 19:08

Amazing ! You’re so talented ! One day, I will sew a giant cactus ! Or try to… I love the animal on the wall too !

• Erin M. 23.11.2015 at 04:03

That wall of wood animals is amazing!!! You have so much talent (not to mention energy for a mama-to-be). I always love your projects!

• Jamielyn@iheartnaptime 24.11.2015 at 03:34

GIRL! You are AMAZING! The whole room turned out fabulous! That wall is unreal! So amazing.

• Betty 03.12.2015 at 07:34

Amazing as always! Great job! We can’t wait to meet your little man.

• Our Tiny Master Bathroom: Before and After 08.12.2015 at 20:54

[…] Did you guys see Mandi’s baby boy nursery reveal. I’m dying over those plywood animal […]

• Lindsey 08.12.2015 at 21:04

First of all. … Your animal wall reminds me of this children’s book: A Mountain of Friends by Schoene. You have to check it out. It’s a winner of a children’s book.
    Secondly, this is probably my most favorite reveal you have done! It is perfection!

• Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl 11.12.2015 at 15:32

I’m a little late to comment, but your son’s nursery is so wonderful. I love all the animals and I think my favorite is also the porcupine (although, we’d say hedgehog because my son is a little obsessed with hedgehogs. Enjoy that little boy of your’s when he arrives.

• Vintage Revivals | DIY Hanging Diaper Caddy 15.12.2015 at 17:14

[…] the boy wonder’s nursery. They are the perfect size for baby gear and so so […]

• Poppy 15.12.2015 at 19:42

Mandi! It is darling! Congratulations!

• Ira Blessing 17.12.2015 at 06:24

WOW! This is G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!! I love Dylan’s Dream Room too! Love the colors!

• Jamie 29.12.2015 at 17:28

Excited for more info on those stacked animals!

• Lulu 29.01.2016 at 03:37

Did you post the sloth tutorial? I mean, at some point between having a baby and being a mother to the other kidlets. :)

• Kathryn 02.03.2016 at 01:37

I know you are super busy with the new baby and life but I was just curious when you might be planning to finish posting the tutorials for this room. Thanks!

• Audrey 02.03.2016 at 14:20

I love this room. Where did you get the wooden animals on the wall? Or is there a tutorial? I am having a little girl in July and she has a woodland theme.

• Vintage Revivals | Fighting the Yellow! 03.03.2016 at 18:03

[…] So I pulled out my paint deck and found a white that was a little warm (so that it wasn’t competing with the tub) but not too warm (because the floor is a cooler light gray) and wouldn’t you know, the color I ended up with was Alabaster. The same white that I used in Brem’s nursery! […]

• Jenn 06.03.2016 at 01:35

I love this so much when I first saw the reveal. Then I found out I was pregnant in January and I’ve come back to look at is many more times!!

I have a question about something more in the background. The closet doors. I even shopping for some and they’re all so ugly, but I really like those! Are they bifold doors? Custom? Im up for making some because I’m OVER the curtains on my closet!

Thanks for sharing your crazy-awesome ideas and DIYs and congrats on your new family edition too.

• Vintage Revivals | $20 Tiny House IKEA Crib Hack 09.03.2016 at 17:54

[…] Check out the entire nursery reveal here! […]

• Kat Ann 10.03.2016 at 19:33

Have you posted a tutorial of the nursery closet doors yet? If so, I can’t find it! I know you have nothing else to do – right?!

• Mandi 10.03.2016 at 19:54

Hey Kat!
      I haven’t posted it yet, stay tuned!

• Emma 16.03.2016 at 02:33

Hi there,

Did you make the timber wall animals yourself? Or were they store bought? If so, what shop! I love.

Emma

• Mandi 16.03.2016 at 05:08

Hey Emma!
      We made them but are working round the clock to add them to the Vintage Revivals Shop shortly! Make sure that you subscribe to the posts so that you get the email announcement!!

• Maite Parafernalia 04.04.2016 at 17:42

wow! Ewverything it’s perfect. You made an amazing job. Full of good ideas.

• becky mercado 23.04.2016 at 04:13

we love your cactus. did I read you made it? did you have any type of pattern at all. Or suggestions?

becky