Meet The Nugget: A Vintage Camper Trailer Makeover Series

So ummm…you know how all the bloggers in the universe are pregnant?  I feel like I can join their ranks with my latest project.  I am currently carrying- in utero- a vintage camper travel trailer, and I can finally talk about it!!

The Nugget 1973 Bell Camper Trailer Overhaul

Besties of the internet, meet The Nugget, a 1973 Bell Travel Trailer.

Meet The Nugget-3

Meet The Nugget-5

I have been on a not-actively-searching-but-still-looking mission for a vintage trailer for the better part of 2 years.  (There are a lot of really bad ones out there folks.) For some reason or another I just couldn’t find the one.  Then one happy Saturday morning in April I was browsing Craigslist.  There, in the Antique section, was a listing for a small camper.  It.was.adorable.  I just had to see it.  So my MIL and I trucked to the next town over to meet the little guy.

When you are shopping for a vintage trailer there are a few things to keep in mind.  They are ALL damaged.  All of them.  Usually it is water damage, and everything that goes along with that happy situation.  There can also be problems with the exterior siding, the frame, the electrical, the tires, and that doesn’t begin to include the cosmetic issues.   I went into this meet and greet knowing that I could handle certain things, but having met a few other vintage campers that were severely damaged,  I knew what to run away from.

When you are shopping, get as much info from the seller as you can.  The Nugget has had 2 previous owners, a man and his granddaughter (I bought it from her).  It has lived in Southern Utah it’s whole life, which means that while it was exposed to the elements,  the dry climate helped it be not completely overrun with water damage and mold.  The way that it smells when you walk inside is a ginorm indicator of the damage level.  Does it smell mildewy or damp?  What is the visible water damage like?  Check the corners, the ceiling and around the windows, this is where the largest amount of damage usually occurs.  Can you see the dark spots along the corner?  That is water damage.

Meet The Nugget-16

Does it pull?   Or will you need a flat bed trailer to bring it home?  Our seller still used the trailer and had, within the last year, pulled it 5 hours away.  This is pretty huge to know if it is in pulling condition.

The seller said that the electrical had a few problems (we will get into this in another post) and they had to run a new set of brake lights to the back.

The previous owner had also replaced some wood on the back end and cut through the aluminum siding to make that happen.  When they were finished they used aluminum tape to hold the 2 pieces together, so that totally needed to be replaced.  You can see exactly what I am talking about in the picture below.  see the silver line where the brown and white siding meet?  That is the tape.

Meet The Nugget-1

You can also see where they took out the original tail lights and the replacement lights they put on the bumper.  Wires and all.

I can make a list of all of the things that need to be replaced, but I can sum it up in 4 words…

All of the things.

But all in all it was a pretty great little find for $1,000.

When I got home I did a little research.  The Nugs is a 1973 Bell Travel Trailer.  Apparently Bell Trailers are a very rare breed.  Not in a “GOLD MINE!” way, just in a “I cant find any info and the guys at the trailer store had never heard of it kind of way.”  Obscure and mysterious,  just how I like ‘em.

Meet The Nugget-4

Lets just talk about the interior for a second shall we?

This thing is teensy.

The back of the trailer is the seating/sleeping/eating area.  The tabletop drops down to become the base for the bed (that is why it is shin level).  Above that is a slide out bunk.  As is it sleeps 4.

photo 1

Meet The Nugget-4

Meet The Nugget-3

On the other side is the little kitchenette.  Complete with a gas range,  sink and 2 faucets (because one of them doesn’t work)

Meet The Nugget-9

Meet The Nugget-11

photo 3

Next to the kitchen is a small storage closet that could be used for a port-a-potty.  Which we will not be doing.

Meet The Nugget-1-2

It has an ice block fridge.  Which means that it is basically a cooler that you put a block of ice in and it keeps your food cold.  There is also a propane heater below the fridge.

Meet The Nugget-7

I feel like for such a small space it has a lot of storage.  There are lots of cupboards and a couple of large areas underneath the benches, as well as the closet.

Meet The Nugget-5

Meet The Nugget-10

Ceiling height is really good.  I am 5’9 and Court is 6’1 and we can both comfortably stand inside (except underneath the bunk).

The biggest challenge is going to make if feel like you are not inside a shoebox.

Meet The Nugget-2-2

One of the most exciting parts of this adventure is my partner in crime, The Home Depot.  It has been really great working with my favorite store on the planet, and everyone at my local store asks about the little nugs every time I am there (which FYI was 4 times yesterday).

I really love learning new things, but man,  this learning curve is steep.  I am so relieved that I have you guys to share it with and not judge me when I fail.  Its already happened a few times, so stay tuned!

Design wise (because lets be honest, this is everyone’s favorite part, I am going for a retro desert vibe.  It is such a teensy space that I think more muted colors with little moments of brightness is totally the way to go.

Special order supplies have started rolling in, want to see what I have so far?  I am so in love with this ultra light mint penny tile and teardrop running lights. (picture of the tile looks a little lighter than it is IRL)

Teardrop Trailer Lights and Green Penny Tile

These cabinet pulls are just so good.

image

Catherineholm Lotus?  Ummm.  Absolutely.

(Image via)

The best part about these little trailers is that they are supposed to be fun and whimsical.  Let the creative floodgates open!

So have you overhauled a vintage camper?  I am DYING for your advice (also please leave links if you have info/pictures!)

dont miss any of this series

• Trisha F 22.07.2014 at 15:16

I LOVE this trailer! Very simple and the wallpaper is so fun! Good luck rehauling it. If you want to give up at any point, I may just buy it from you. :)

• girlfromwva 22.07.2014 at 15:16

love the little camper trailer; NUGGET! can’t wait to see this transformation!

• Elizabeth 22.07.2014 at 15:27

I am SO curious and excited to watch this project take shape. This is the sort of thing I would never have the guts to do. So glad you do (and that you love my wimpy guts anyway)! Can’t wait to live vicariously through you and the Nugget.

• jill 22.07.2014 at 15:40

Love it so much! The only thing is, seeing those fabric curtains so close to a gas stove burner makes me scared!

• Loretta Shuck 08.07.2015 at 18:53

Valid concern but it looks like they are on tension rods. That should keep them from blowing in the wind.

• ryan 22.07.2014 at 15:42

can’t wait to watch the nugget take shape! he would be right at home with all the hipsters in my crazy austin neighborhood. y’all come visit!

• Cindy 22.07.2014 at 15:53

I don’t know anything about campers, but check out http://jenniferjangles.blogspot.com/2014/03/glamping-week-begins.html.

• Carolee 22.07.2014 at 16:48

My grandparents had the EXACT trailer when I was a kid. We used to play ‘house’ in it while grandpa was at work (no. can. do. if he was at home) – grandma would let us sneak in. They upgraded sometime around 1980 to a bigger and more modern trailer with heating, cooling, and a real refrigerator. It was a much better space for four little girls than that tiny tiny trailer, but we missed the old one because there were so many more ‘rules’ in the new trailer :-) Thanks for the post. It brings back great childhood memories. Have fun remodeling!

• Kelly L 22.07.2014 at 16:50

I don’t know why, but this project has got me SO EXCITED! Can’t wait to see what you do! Makes me want to buy a little nug myself.

• Chelsea Breur 22.07.2014 at 16:53

This little camper reminds me of the old motorhome that my parents had. The smell is still engrained in my mind to this day, kind of gross and musty, but it is attached to happy memories. I remember sleeping in the bunk bed and having the ceiling flake off onto me. Gross!!

• Kry Jo 22.07.2014 at 17:25

Such a fun project! I love it! Check out http://cornbreadandbeansquilting.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/summer-greetings-shasta-update/ And http://jenniferjangles.blogspot.com/2013/07/my-1969-serro-scotty-hilander.html?m=1 some of the comments on this one might be helpful. Can’t wait to see what you do with this beaut!

• Larissa @ The Pop Up Princess 22.07.2014 at 17:31

We just bought and gutted a pop up camper. It is a lot of work, but so fun! We will probably always be tweaking it, because when you take it out, you realize all the things you love and hate about it. We took it out to Yellowstone this summer, and it was so much better than tent camping. Good luck on the project! I can’t wait to see your progress!

• Gwen 22.07.2014 at 17:42

Now that is a BOLD move… can’t wait to see what you do with it!

• caroline [the diy nurse] 22.07.2014 at 17:54

This is amazing! We plan on selling our home to live and travel in an RV- and I’m dying to make it over. This is killing me! I have a secret board and have pinning away like crazy. Good luck!

• Brandi 22.07.2014 at 18:15

We have a vintage shasta and we completely overhauled it. We love it. We had a blog while we renovated it to keep our family updated http://www.paxtonshasta.blogspot.com
    I need to update it as the camper is complete now. A great website for supplies is http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com
    Love them! We would also look for forums. There is tons out there and the vintage camper on-line community is very helpful. Cant wait to see it come together!

• Laurie 22.07.2014 at 18:42

Is it strange that I really like the blue and green wallpaper?

When I was a kid, my dad made over his VW bus into a mini camper with a gate leg table and blue check curtains. I loved it and the 4 of us camped in that thing! All you could do was sleep or eat in it, you had to cook outside but we loved it.

• kay 22.07.2014 at 18:42

I overhauled a Class A motorhome but don’t have any pictures (I didn’t get custody of it in the divorce). It was full on 80’s (remember bright jewel tones?) and so much fun to decorate and travel in! Good Luck and have a lot of fun.

• Michelle C 22.07.2014 at 18:53

Oh this is going to be such a fun series!!

• kelly 22.07.2014 at 19:28

Your post totally made me smile today. I love it. And I can’t wait to hear about your journey. I’m glad that little guy found a good home. He kind of reminds me of the movie, Herbie, The Love Bug. :-)

• Jane 22.07.2014 at 19:45

You need to watch George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces. The small spaces episodes in particular would be invaluable. Vintage caravans and VWs, customised on a range of budgets, and totally covetable!

• Abigail 22.07.2014 at 21:55

I’m working on a vintage camper too! I just can’t decide how I want to do it! Here is my “Abster”

• Caitlin @ Desert Domicile 22.07.2014 at 21:57

Oh how exciting! I already love the direction you’re headed. Your little nugget is going to be so loved!

• Cindy 22.07.2014 at 23:33

The RV Hall of Fame is in Elkhart, IN. The museum curator is very knowledgeable, I’m sure he could tell you more about the history.

• Zubin 22.07.2014 at 23:42

Hi Mandi, greetings from down under australia. love your blog and good luck with this project, heres another blog i follow which did a similar thing might be of interest to you.
    these guys run a photo studio and are pretty cool ( just like you) with their decor ideas and adventures.good luck with it all. cant wait to see how this turns out !

• Heather young 23.07.2014 at 00:12

Hi mandi, can’t wait to see how your nugget looks. My husband and I bought a vintage scamp last year and completely renovated it. I don’t have a blog but do have photos. You are right, go fun with the colors and design. I felt like I had so much more freedom to decorate the smaller camper than I do in a home. Have fun and let me know if you would like me to send you some photos.

• Michelle 18.03.2016 at 17:57

Hi Heather! Not sure if you are still hanging around this blog / will get notifications that I’ve replied but I’ve been drooling over vintage Scamps and would love to see your photos! We’re hoping to get one and overhaul it within the next few years.

If you’re still around, would you mind sending me some? toinfinityandbiond@gmail.com
      Thanks!
      Michelle

• Sam Orozco 23.07.2014 at 00:54

Hey, Mandi! Just wondering if you’ve seen this post from design sponge. I’m sure you have, but just in case you haven’t, you should take a look! Before & After: A 1950s camper gets a stylish overhaul. Best of luck with the Nugz!

• Mrs patty 23.07.2014 at 00:59

This is a dream of mine! Can’t wait to follow your progress!

• jessica @fourgenerationsoneroof 23.07.2014 at 02:03

Super fun! We just bought a camper a month ago and have embarked on the summer season at a fab lake near our home. An AirStream makeover is on my bucket list and in my near future ;). Nugget is adorable and can’t wait to see the makeover. Love it!

• Kelly 23.07.2014 at 03:16

This is something I def want to do once we move back stateside! So glad you will pave the way and share all the do’s and don’ts for the rest of us! Are you going to use it for it’s intended purpose or have something else in mind?? I could just see you travelling around in the nugget offering design rehab for people who need it lol!!

• Deb Owen 23.07.2014 at 03:59

It’s on my bucket list, but not the Misters so who knows if it will happen. We have the modern version in the meantime that we use quite a bit.

• Jamie 23.07.2014 at 04:11

I’m halfway through the renovation of a ’63 shasta airflyte. It can be a crazy can of worms, but SO much fun! Good luck, I can’t wait to see what you do to it!

• Sarah Querido 23.07.2014 at 08:31

You are awesome!! I love everything what you make:)

• Lisa 23.07.2014 at 13:40

What a cutie-pie the Nugget is – looking forward to following the series. I am on a similar journey – rehabbed a “mysterious brand” 1960 canned ham camper, now called “Galavantin’ Gal” and I am currently working on decorating the inside. She will be my sidekick on trips to vintage markets (first one in September), as the mobile version of my vintage shop – check out my hi-adventures at http://www.vintagelifestylings.com.
    A couple of go-to sites for inspiration, if you haven’t found them already (this craze has really taken off in the last couple of years, so lots of great new sites) –
    http://www.vintagecaravanmagazine.com.au/ Lisa Mora is a phenom and now her magazine is now distributed in the US! You will be drooling over the photos :)
    http://www.sistersonthefly.com/ this is one wild-funtime group (I joined last year, proud sister # 3945), lots of eye-candy with glamed up trailers, be sure to check out their books too.
    Also, check out facebook pages/groups – Tin Can Tourists (a wealth of instant help and info on mechanics, suppliers etc., excellent website too http://www.tincantourists.com )
    and check out Glampers on the Loose (MaryJane Butters group on FB)
    …….basically search glamping or vintage camper and tons of groups will show up.
    Best of luck with the project… I totally get what you are going through – it takes a lot of grit to get to the glamour – just keep your eye on the prize :)

• jenni 23.07.2014 at 14:28

super excited to see what you do with it becauseI know it will be AWESOME!!! :)

• Alison 23.07.2014 at 14:55

That was $1000? wow. It won’t be the same by the time you get finished with it.

• Angie 23.07.2014 at 14:56

Yay! I’ve been waiting for this post since you mentioned your vintage camper at Haven. It’s adorable! Can’t wait to see updates. I’m on the lookout for a vintage camper too but have yet to find the one.
    God bless!

• Rhianna 23.07.2014 at 15:13

I am so excited to watch you go through this process! I’ve thought about it for a long time but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. GOOD LUCK!

• Grammie stitches 23.07.2014 at 16:11

Love your little Nugget! I’m watching with great interest, what all you do to it and how. Two years ago, my hubs dragged a “Shack on a pontoon boat”, calling it a houseboat, onto our private lake. We’re slowly trying to make it nicer, I’m going for the glam! It’s such fun!
    Can’t wait to see your finished Nugget!

• Reenie 23.07.2014 at 16:27

Oh…. I want one so bad!!

• kate 23.07.2014 at 17:56

This is great! I’ve been vintage camping, but not intentionally. My dad had a Coachman van from the early ’80s and a little pop up trailer. It was pretty much the only thing we used while traveling growing up. The Coachman had a pretty similar set up, aesthetically and size wise. The little bunk was my favorite. I think it was supposed to be for storage, but I always slept there. :)

• jen 23.07.2014 at 18:08

awesome! I commented once on fb that you should follow a group called ‘vintage camper trailers’. Some great pics for inspiration!
    Catherineholm is my favorite!

• Runt 23.07.2014 at 20:02

Um, cutest camper ever! (As is – lol!)

• laura 24.07.2014 at 03:05

It blog name fits this project perfectly! Have u seen “under the sycamore” blog, she just shared her camper a few weeks ago, adorable!

• Tammia 24.07.2014 at 03:06

Fun! Can’t wait to see how you overhaul this cute little thing. We’ve been in the process (when I say we, it’s mostly my husband) of overhauling a ’72 Boler. We just got home from a camping trip and it is one of the kids’ absolute favorite things to do (I think they feel extra cozy in a little space). I have some pics here: http://www.redthreadlove.blogspot.com/2012/10/inside-happy-camper.html

• Dawn Marie 24.07.2014 at 04:42

LOVE IT! I would love to have a little trailer for camping. I’m so jealous!

• Linda S 24.07.2014 at 14:05

Check out Mary Jane’s Farm Magazine with her articles on Glamping. I have seen sooooo many totally awesome campers in there.

• Rachel 25.07.2014 at 01:25

have you checked out oleander and palm? They’re fixing up their vintage trailer. Also, do you call it the Nugget b c it’s such a gem?

• Mandi 25.07.2014 at 15:47

I LOVE Jeran so much!!! We called it The Nugget because when we were driving it home it was just such a little guy!

• aNNE 25.07.2014 at 13:59

• Jude 25.07.2014 at 15:14

Check out a UK series called George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces. The Brits either love or loathe a caravan (what trailers are called here) and this programme shows him adapting a battered old caravan as well as featuring a ton of people who have done incredible things with tiny spaces such as beach huts and tree houses. Don’t know if you can get 4oD (channel four on demand). There are various clips on youtube.

• cindy 25.07.2014 at 16:05

I cannot wait to see what you do with this baby!! I have been looking for one for the last year, keep the updates coming…good luck!!

• Brooke @ Putter Home 25.07.2014 at 16:17

You can check out my camper reno here http://www.putterhome.com/p/camper.html. I’d say my biggest tip is to be very very careful when drilling into the walls. You must use short screws and those 3M Command Strips are going to be your new best buddy. Holes to outside = water inside. Also, vinyl wallpaper is a b*tch to get off. So prime and paint it. Get your whimsy on girl!

• jenn 25.07.2014 at 16:25

Ever since my friend & her husband restored a vintage Shasta, I’ve been dying to find one. We’ve be looking here and there for the past year and a half, but haven’t found any we like… and then my Mom decided to GIVE us her pop-up camper, for FREE!! Now, it’s not the dream of restoring a vintage trailer, but you can’t beat FREE, so we’re taking it and I’ll be sure to add my own touches.

Check out the incredible job my friend did restoring her trailer… It’s pretty impressive what they accomplished:
    These are some before & in progress shots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/64616632@N05/sets/72157631165896354/

And here are some after photos! https://www.flickr.com/photos/12603764@N00/sets/72157626525140212/

• AManda 25.07.2014 at 16:26

All of us seem to be totes jealous of your project and supes excited to see your progress at each step along the way (yes, moi aussi).
    But seriously: MAD PROPS for busting outside the comfort zone with the Nugget and thus shattering any possible pigeonhole or stereotype.
    Y’all, she got that fearless swag.

• shavonda@ahomefullofcolor 25.07.2014 at 19:29

Eeeek! This is just freakin awesome Mandi!! Its going to be all kinds of good. Cant wait to see er come to life.

• AnnW 25.07.2014 at 21:31

Check out Sisters of the Fly. They are a ladies only group that gets together to fly fish and take trips. They each have a vintage camper and deck them out in the most fantastic way. Also check out my Airstream board on Pinterest. AnnGWilson.

• Shelly 26.07.2014 at 20:06

OMG this is so awesome! I have been wanting to remodel a camper forever. I can’t wait to follow along on your journey! I am definitely gonna stay tuned so I can learn a few things for my future project. I was thinking really light walls inside with maybe one wall with some really cool patterned wallpaper or fabric would look sweet in yours, since its so tiny. Just a suggestion! Can’t wait to see more!

Shelly@The Domestic Heart

• Kristen 27.07.2014 at 03:29

What a fun project to take on! My husband and I are just finishing up restoring a 1964 Shasta Airflyte. Ours had significant water damage, so we gutted it and rebuilt it with fresh birch paneling. We had two faucets in our sink too: one was a pump faucet and one you could connect directly to a hose. Maybe that’s how yours works? We’ve chronicled our restoration here: http://www.midwestmodernblog.com/category/shasta-airflyte/ Good luck with your reno! I’ll be following along!

• Eileen 27.07.2014 at 15:28

HI there! First off, let me tell you how excited I was to stumble upon your blog. I am in the process of redecorating my family room and was looking for ideas. Finding your blog is exactly what I needed! I just LOVE your style, tips, and DIY projects. Now, with that said, when I found your recent post for your camper redo I got even more excited. I know, hard to believe – lol! But, I just remodeled a 1972 Frolic and found the project to be extremely rewarding. I loved working on the camper because it is a small space where I didn’t feel so intimidated making design/decorating decisions. Home projects make me a little nervous… I can’t wait to follow along as you work on Bell. If you get a minute hop over and check out my Pink Paradise.

• Rachel 28.07.2014 at 00:31

Eeek! I am so, SO excited to see what you do with this little gem! Making over a little trailer and using it as a guest house or air b & b is a little fantasy of mine so I will def be living vicariously through you! Good luck on your adventure!

• The Nugget: Assessing The Damage and Demo - Vintage Revivals 28.07.2014 at 16:24

[…] the demo commence!  When we bought The Nugget we knew that there was a few places with water damage.  It didn’t appear to be horrible, […]

• Alison Armstrong 28.07.2014 at 19:34

I restored a Bell trailer a number of years ago. It was the cutest thing ever. And then I hauled it on a little cross-country stroll. Uurgh… those suckers are heavy and you need serious horsepower to tow it. I’m talking 35 miles per hour max into a headwind across Nebraska. And make sure you get a sway bar! (I found this out the hard way after I jackknifed on a slick road in Pennsylvania.) I sold it the day after I got home; restoring it was much more fun than driving it. It would have made a great playhouse/guest house though, if only I had room to keep it! You asked for advice…best of luck!

• Madi 29.07.2014 at 19:56

If possibly you should keep some swatches of the fabric and wall paper in the nugget and frame them/hang them for the future nugget!

• vivo 30.07.2014 at 04:11

I’m so excited to see how this turns out! What a great project!

• Laura RG 02.08.2014 at 03:27

What a terrific little gem! She’ll be a stunner when you’re done. TRhat wallboard is fantastic… maybe you could work your design around it – lots of current fabrics look very similar. I have a 14′ 1977 sunline that I bought a couple of years ago. all the repairs had been made, so I am just personalizing my Teeny Weeny Tin Can. Good luck with the Nugget!!

• Michelle 02.08.2014 at 15:43

I just found your blog on Pinterest. I am so excited to follow along and see what you do. We want to buy a vintage camper and work on it like crazy, and hopefully have it ready by next spring so that we can do some traveling.

• Kenz @ Interiors By Kenz 05.08.2014 at 04:38

Earlier this year I painted the exterior of our vintage travel trailer. It was easier than it sounds. We’ve taken it out camping several times this year. It was one of the best decisions we ever made!

• laurie dorn 05.08.2014 at 16:45

Nugget is adorable! I too am in love with vintage campers. We jumped in with both feet two years ago and it has been TONS of work…more than I had imagined. But it was well worth it. I have attached the link to my little blog in case you want to check out some pics.

• Kate 08.08.2014 at 23:11

I am so excited to finally be able to comment and share our new blog! I have been following you for some time now and when I saw The Nugget come across my blog reader last month I couldn’t be more excited. We are in the midst a remodel on a 2001 36ft fifth wheel. I look forward to seeing the progress and final results of The Nugget and also wanted to share our adventures with you guys!

• Laura 30.08.2014 at 22:08

I also have a 1973 Bell trailer. I have done a little work in it, but would really like to transform it. Mine is set up a little different than yours. It has been in my family for many years. I believe mine is a 16′.

• Mandi 31.08.2014 at 18:44

Bell sisters for life!!! I want to see it!!!

• cindy g 31.08.2014 at 15:03

Just last Tuesday we bought a trailer that is pretty much identical to yours. So interested in what you will do with/to yours.

• Mandi 31.08.2014 at 18:42

Cant wait to see what you do with it!!

• Vintage Camper Remodel Envy - Run To Radiance 21.10.2014 at 11:02

[…] she is not finished yet, I have no doubt that this makeover in progress from Vintage Revivals will turn out […]

• Darin 29.10.2014 at 04:56

After we bought our 1973 Bell, I found and spoke on the phone with the Guy who was the Manager of Bell in the early 70’s before it was sold and closed. It was an amazing conversation. His is a really nice guy named Cal Jorgensen. He no longer lives in Kalispell where the trailers were made. He told me how the owners found him working at a car dealership and offered him a job. He is still very passionate about Bell and when he was there. He even has old decals for the trailer we have. He sent them to me, they are perfect and he new exactly which ones we needed. He told me more stories about the owner and how he taught him to sell. I think he said his name was Richie Ostrem and he was the son-in-law of the founder, Hubert Bell.

• Amy 12.11.2014 at 16:01

My husband and I are reviving a vintage trailer and our cabinetry looks similar to yours. Did your doors and drawers have a fake wood grain sticker (for lack of a better word) over the particle board/laminate? I am trying to figure out if I need to just sand over that and paint or what. Thanks!

• Mandi 12.11.2014 at 16:11

Hey Amy!
      They were laminate, we ended up rebuilding them completely but you can also sand them (I have a tutorial for that too!)

• amy 12.11.2014 at 19:51

Thanks, Mandi. I saw that and can’t wait to get started! Also, great back story about your Bell.

• The Nugget: Vintage Trailer Makeover Reveal!!! 21.11.2014 at 16:10

[…] If you are just tuning in, you are in for a treat.  Almost everything in The Nugget has been DIYed and has a tutorial!  Whether you are looking for inspiration for a trailer that you are working on, or ideas for you home,  get ready for an awesome project avalanche.  All of the projects in The Nugget have been linked at the bottom of this post!  If you want to follow the series from the beginning, start here! […]

• A Passion for Vintage Trailers | Ron Hoover RV & Marine Centers 21.11.2014 at 22:34

[…] Gubler took the latter approach with the 1972 Bell trailer that she bought last April and named the Nugget, because, as she put it, “It’s just so teeny and […]

• DIY Wednesday – A Vintage Trailer Gets a Make Over! | peanut butter & jenny 04.12.2014 at 02:33

[…] Mandi purchased a vintage camper travel trailer – a 1973 Bell Travel Trailer and dubbed it The Nugget. How suitable for this little gem! Mandi had some great tips for purchasing a vintage trailer. She […]

• Dee Lynn 21.12.2014 at 23:45

Your trailer is adorable and you will have so much fun fixing it up. Whimsy rules, and the little touches mean a lot. I bought a 28 foot 5th-wheel trailer several years ago (took a job 4 hours away from home and decided to camp in my brothers yard Monday though Friday instead of renting an apartment) and my husband still doesn’t know how much I spent remodeling. I enlarged the bathroom by a factor of four, and put in residential fixtures. I don’t have the job any more but I still have the 5th-wheel and it’s stored in our barn and I use it as a grown-up fort. We all need one of those.

• Do You Love Vintage Trailers? 07.05.2015 at 14:49

[…] The Nugget […]

• Austin 03.06.2015 at 18:42

Hi, I was wondering where you got the teardrop running lights? I just bought a 1966 go lite and it is missing all 4. Thanks,

• CarolynW. 03.06.2015 at 21:30

SO this is crazy, but my husband and I just bought a little nugget of our own! Its a 1976 Bell trailer and much like yours, in DESPERATE need of some renovating and repair! I’ll be honest, its far from #1 on our priority list – with a brand new baby, in a rental and looking to move, etc. But you have no idea how excited/glad/giddy I am to have found this! YAHOO!

• Sara Caroline McAlister 05.06.2015 at 01:03

Bought a 1967 Play mor (I think) with no vin#. Have had a ball with the Biscuit IV. As I camp with alone with a dog I modified table to add small closet for portapotty!. Perfect for a lady and her old dog. I have pics on FB in Tin Can Tourist. My go to places were Ace Hardware and Lowes. I am having a ball and would love to share pics. BIV is 10 ft inside.

• Camper 06.08.2015 at 15:11

I really love the makeover, so lovely :)

• Mike sparks 09.08.2015 at 17:56

Thank you for sharing, you certainly don’t see many campers this size. My wife and I are selling our 1958 Spartan Royal Mansion 10×48 Trailer. Can you offer any advice on where to list it?

• Kit 25.08.2015 at 13:03

I am almost done with the interior of my 1957 Terry. I noticed you did not have a back splash. I want to suggest vintage decorative sheet metal.

I used it on my trailer and it looks great, it’s easy to install and we found 18″ x 24″ sheets on amazon for only $9.99.

• box trailers brisbane 17.09.2015 at 04:35

The thought of just being able to hitch it on and know straight up you’ve packed everything.

• Denise Schmitt 02.12.2015 at 13:39

I am so excited to see what you do with your baby! I just recently bought a little trailer myself and I too picked the same penny tiles!

• Tammy nix 04.12.2015 at 14:20

I too am picking up my new girl on sunday. Found it in someones alley it is a 1969 shasta compact with Orange stripe..same size different layoutonly paid get this !!! 300 yes thats it . Im pretty sure its never beensealead or touched ever!! Soooo plz keep me informed first thing dealing with the rot and mice yuk…

• Mona Temple 28.12.2015 at 08:49

Your such an inspiration We have craved this idea for so long but living in Oregon most Lil trailers here are so damp We see many but people litter their yards with these charmer I need to go down to California and maybe look ? Nugget is gorgeous elagance all rolled up into a sweet retreat! I’ve always saved auto parts still have baby moon VW hub caps etc Congratulations to you both
    Mona Temple
    P.S. Come over to Coos Bay Oregon Redwoods &The Ocean♡

• Jessica Powers 21.04.2016 at 18:53

Thank you SO much for sharing!! Going to look at a camper this weekend ans am so nervous but so excited. I’m wanting it to be a mobile shop for my business but versatile for living in during off season. Think it’s doable? I’m hoping I can use the bed (without the mattress) and counters as “shelving” and tables for my items.

• Mandi 21.04.2016 at 20:02

TOTALLY!! Send me pictures!!!