No Sew DIY Floor Cloth

We are solving a little design dilemma today folks.  Does anyone have areas in their house that need a uniquely sized rug (not your standard 3×5 or 5×7)?  In my house, these places always seem to be low traffic areas and the rug is really just for looks and to add to the design.  (If you have this prob, you might want to check out this tutorial too!)

Dun dun dun duuuuuuunnnn! Insert a Floor Cloth.  A floor cloth is basically a reinforced piece of fabric that is sturdy and looks so great!

tribal_floor_cloth

To make this project you will need:

Heavy Woven Fabric (I found this at Joann’s of all places!)
Wonder Under Fusible Webbing (also available at Joann’s)
Drop Cloth

DIY Floor Cloth

Start cutting your fabric to the size you are itching for, add 1 1/2-2” to that measurement.  Next you are going to iron a 3/4-1” fold into the raw edges of your fabric.  Because I loved the little fringies on the ends of mine I only did it on the sides, but you can do it on all 4 of you need to!

DIY Floor Cloth-2

Position your fusible webbing on the back of your fabric (paper side up)

DIY Floor Cloth-3

Iron on the paper side (don’t use steam!  Just heat and pressure).

Wait until the fabric is completely cooled down before you peel off the paper.

DIY Floor Cloth-4

Notice how the webbing is also on the fold that I ironed.   You don’t want to miss that part!

DIY Floor Cloth-5

Now iron your drop cloth right side down onto your fabric/webbing combo.  We are doing it right side down so that the thick edge doesn’t leave a big gap between the 2 materials.

DIY Floor Cloth-6

DIY Floor Cloth-7

All finished!!

DIY Floor Cloth-8

While it isn’t heavy duty rug weight,  the floor cloth is still really substantial.  I love that you can throw it in the washing machine if it gets spilled on and I LOVE that it is so inexpensive!

DIY Tribal Floor Cloth

Tribal Floor Cloth

tribal_floor_cloth

Check out the other projects in this series here!

• Tara 14.07.2014 at 16:49

Where did you find your fabric?

• Mandi 14.07.2014 at 16:50

I found it at Joanns!

• Rachel Schultz 14.07.2014 at 18:58

any chance you know where it is on their website to link for it?

• Caitlin @ Desert Domicile 14.07.2014 at 17:02

Great idea! I love that fabric. This would be a great way to make a runner for our foyer and upstairs hallway since I can never find any stylish ones in the lengths I need :)

• Amber 14.07.2014 at 17:24

I need some simple floor coverings for our new apartment; it has all light-colored hardwood floors. This tutorial is absolutely perfect!

• baileywife @irishman acres 14.07.2014 at 17:37

Shut up!!! I love this…and that fabric. Thanks for help in finding that perfect rug that I can never find!! Now I’ll just make it myself! ~Kim

• Sarah 14.07.2014 at 18:27

I absolutely love this! This is my kind of tutorial! I can use this in absolutely every room in my house! I’m always looking for unique and inexpensive floor coverings! I’m so ridiculously excited about this! I’m going straight to Joanns after work!

• Paige @ Little Nostalgia 14.07.2014 at 18:30

This is adorable! And I’ve never really heard of a floor cloth before, but I’m totally digging it.

• Stella 14.07.2014 at 19:29

I love this. This is such a great idea!! Awesome sauce!!

• Lindsay 14.07.2014 at 20:37

What is the biggest you would suggest making this? I’m needing an area rug to pull together our living room, which doesn’t get much use, but is the first room you see when you walk in our door. I don’t have $600 to spend on a rug…but this, I could do…if I could make it big enough!

• cassie 14.07.2014 at 20:44

great fabric- looks awesome! SOOOOOOOOOO amazing to FINALLY meet you this weekend! can’t wait to shake it on the dance floor with you next year!

• Paige 14.07.2014 at 23:42

Love this! I may have to do this for our living room since we haven’t found a rug we just love yet and my tastes change all the time…so it’s better if it’s inexpensive!

• Lisa Curry Mair 15.07.2014 at 00:20

Technically, a floorcloth (or also known as “oylcloth”) is made from heavyweight canvas and is painted and then finished with a Clear protective finish. Yes, they are perfect for use in all kinds of spaces, AND traditionally made floorcloths are extremely durable AND they clean up jus like a vinyl floor-with a damp mop. See more at http://canvasworksfloorcloths.com!

• mary@athomeonthebay 15.07.2014 at 00:20

I love this idea!

• Teryn @ Vintage Romance Style 15.07.2014 at 00:38

Anything that is quick and easy is good for me! I have little patience and or time sometimes. I’ll admit I hang things up still tacky from spray paint because I’m too excited and impatient! This rug rocks!!!

• Julia@Cuckoo4Design 15.07.2014 at 02:01

Perfect pattern for the area

• Lisa 15.07.2014 at 09:39

This looks awful easy :) awesome!
    L x

• Rebekah 15.07.2014 at 22:21

Love this project! I have a blanket/throw/wrap thing that was given to me as a wedding gift nearly 12 years ago and I’ve never quite known what to do with it. It’s beautiful — hand-woven in northern Togo (West Africa) where I lived during my teenage years. This may be exactly what I need to do with it. Do you think it would work if I skipped the WonderUnder and just tack-stitched a piece of canvas on the back? I’m not 100% sure I want to do something irreversible to it. I’d love to know whether you experimented with that.

• Alexandra Jade 15.07.2014 at 22:38

omg I love that! I’m super excited to try it!

• Soiledrotten 16.07.2014 at 10:05

Really so cute! I did this once with a piece of fabric from Urban Outfitters. Would def. add the drop cloth this time.
    ~Alison

• Christina 16.07.2014 at 15:01

Very cute. I’m curious: how much did this cost?

• kari 16.07.2014 at 16:19

Did you happen to keep the sku number on this fabric from Joannes? Never seen anything like this there?? Love it!! 😉

• Katy BEll 16.07.2014 at 16:28

Hey – Crazy about your frugal, practical, lovely design ideas! I’m stumped…Wedding present for young couple…Make a chalkboard out of a thrifted gold ornate frame, and adhere their adorable “Save the Date” postcard to the board as a permanent reminder of their special day. Everyone needs a chalkboard right? Laundry, back hall, kitchen, etc. Question: What’s the best way to “adhere” the postcard to the chalkboard? Decopauge? That’s all I got. Would love your creative ideas!

Thanks in advance!

• Rachel Rardon 21.07.2014 at 15:05

I’ve been known to buy a multitude of cheap rugs, and just switch them out. The only problem is that cheap rugs usually means small rugs. Love this as a new option!