12 Projects To Make From An Old Leather Couch

The leather has been flowing like wine around these parts for the last few months.  Ever since the life changing discovery that you can skin a leather couch and save thousands of dollars (and a puffy leather couch from the landfill for that matter!)  everything is getting leathered.  Like a lady addicted to the tanning salon.  Except wrinkle free.

Here are of my favorite leather upcycles.  They range from the most basic beginner (triangles and hot glue) to “Phew,  I cant believe I pulled that off.”  So you are sure to find something that suits the size of your guts.

12 Projects To Make From An Old Leather Couch

First things first.  You have to find a couch that needs saving.  Watch thrift stores, and Craigslist.  Look for real leather,  the worn areas will give you color variation (which is freaking awesome.)

1.  This safari sling bench tops my list of favorites.  I was totally inspired by this Michael Arnoult chair that I found for $75 on Craigslist.  Have a few days?  Skin a couch and literally make this bench from scratch.

DIY Upcycled Leather Couch to Safari Sling Chair

(Sharpie Wall Tutorial | Himmeli Wreath Tutorial)

2.  Slouchy leather sling planters

Hanging Leather Sling Planter Tutorial

3.  Lightweight Sliding Barn Door (with leather Swiss cross).  You can see the full room reveal here.

How To Build A Lightweight Sliding Barn Door (full picture tutorial!)  vintagerevivals

4. Leather Wrapped Planters

Leather Wrapped Planters

5.  No Sew Leather Triangle Pillow

Leather Scrap Triangle Pillow Tutorial

6.  Aztec Rug Wall Hanging (made with a Cricut Explore)  You can see the full room reveal here.

Simple DIY Wall Details

7.  Leather Notebooks (made with a Cricut Explore)

DIY Cricut Explore Leather Notebook_-6

feather_notebook   Leather Notebook

8.  Leather Euro Pillow (with a zipper)

Leather Pillow Tutorial

9.  Leather and Brass IKEA Rast Hack  (you can see the full room reveal here)

Retro Bohemian Teen Bedroom Makeover

10.  Leather and Brass Teardrop Hanging Planter

DIY Geometric Brass and Leather Hanging Planter

11.  Scrap Leather Cuffs

12.  Hanging Leather Magazine Rack (tutorial on Domino)  You can see the full room reveal here.

Upcycled Leather Magazine Rack

The good news continues.  I just skinned another couch!!  The leather obsession LIVES ON!  MUAH HA HA HA HA!

I believe massive thank you’s are in order.

Domino magazine just named Vintage Revivals as one of their picks for the 17 Best DIY blogs (stuff like this makes me feel like I am pulling a fast one on somebody.  It is just too weird!)  You most definitely will want to pop over and check out the blogs they recommend,  there is some massive talent over there and a few new to me blogs that I cant wait to check out!

• Lisa E 11.06.2014 at 13:42

Congrats on being one of the best DIY blogs! That’s awesome. You are so creative. They know what they are doing!

• Wade Allen 11.06.2014 at 14:52

Mandi… So awesome and congrats. As an artist and crafter myself, I often feel the same way. That I am pulling a fast one when good things happen from them. Must be a creative thing. Thanks for the great blog and glad you are getting the recognition you deserve!

• Tracey 11.06.2014 at 16:16

Hey, lady! Congrats on the latest honor – you totally deserve it!!! I just wanted to point out the mixed up “to” and “too” on the dream journal. LOVE the designs and sayings though! Are you opening an etsy shop anytime soon? 😉 I NEED one of those!! Love your guts!

• Mandi 13.06.2014 at 16:00

Hey T! I noticed that too and swapped it out, thanks for the heads up my love! xo

• Meg 11.06.2014 at 16:18

WOW! You have such guts to “skin” a couch like that. Truly impressed with the variety of DIYs out there for for what seems like a big old object that no one has a use for. Really creative!

• Rachel 11.06.2014 at 17:59

Love your post!!!! Where can I find the leather notebook tutorial? The link in the picture takes me to the cricut website but I cannot find the tutorial. Thank you for the help. Your blog is always inspiring me :) I appreciate your hard work.

• Mandi 11.06.2014 at 18:48

The written tutorial is on Cricut, but I will be posting the picture tutorial in the next few days! xo

• Cindy 11.06.2014 at 22:30

You really need a t-shirt that says “I just skinned another couch!!” and has a picture of a skinned couch with its leather hide in a pile next to it. Just imagine all of the conversations that could be started with that wardrobe choice.

• Rachel Rardon 12.06.2014 at 12:27

Bahaha. I just read Cindy’s comment ^above^ about the t-shirt. You must! :) Congratulations again on the mention from Domino! You are, no doubt, one of the best! Love that you compiled all the leather projects. The bench is such a stand-out.

• Lauren 13.06.2014 at 00:51

As far as saving a couch from a landfill…what happens to everything other than the leather when the couch is shaved?

• Mandi 13.06.2014 at 16:00

Such an awesome point Lauren! The first one that I cut up I had a friend pick up for reupholsery. The other two we saved the foam for other projects, so they were pretty much just a wood frame. So in my experience it was better, but I am going to guess that most people dont save things like I do (my husband tells me it’s a problem…) So if people arent reusing the other parts that it would be the same (minus the good part!) xox

• heidi @ a week from thursday 13.06.2014 at 14:41

This makes me wish I had an old leather couch hanging around.

• Weekend Links 14.06.2014 at 12:27

[…] 12 Projects to Make From an Old Leather Sofa @ Vintage Revivals […]

• Julie Waggoner 14.06.2014 at 13:22

Ok, so I just picked up a sofa EXACTLY like this on the side of the road for FREE! I cannot wait to make awesome stuff out of it! Thanks for the idea!!!!

• Best of the Week | All Put Together - June 13, 2014 | All Put Together 14.06.2014 at 19:22

[…] My in-laws have a bunch of old leather remnents just waiting to be used for something crafty. Maybe I should try one of these 12 great leather DIY projects. […]

• Julia@Cuckoo4Design 16.06.2014 at 11:47

Now that’s stylish recycling at it’s best!
    I’m still pinching myself that I’m on this list with you. I feel like I shouldn’t say anything because they might notice their mistake 😉 domino rules!!!

• DIY Leather Notebook - Vintage Revivals 25.07.2014 at 15:32

[…] go south once and the leather was suede,  super thin and had ZERO structure to it.  Couch leather works perfectly,  stiff leather works even […]

• Meet Mandi Gubler | Vintage Vault Co 01.08.2014 at 20:58

[…] 12 Projects To Make From An Old Leather Couch – Vintage Revivals // […]

• The New Must Have Tool: The Cricut Explore & Black Friday Pricing - East Coast Creative Blog 27.11.2014 at 05:22

[…] to use my Explore to venture into cutting this incredibly cool material. Check out her post about 12 ways to use an old leather couch to see all her ingenious creativity.  This girl is amazing- give her the right tool and […]

• Shirley 24.05.2015 at 17:11

LOL a woman after my own heart!! I have been doing things like this for years! It is so wrong to let this awesome leather go to waste or those beautiful scarves with the pillow inserts (which by the way I get a lot from my friendly thrift shops as well). I save gallon milk containers to use the plastic for things, and smooth thin metal cans to make name tags from. I get every single piece of wood I can find and create like you can’t believe. I go crazy out of my mind if I am in the car and see something at the roadside that I know I can convert and I either can’t stop myself or am with someone that I wouldn’t dare ask to stop. My husbands thinks I am a “horder” because he has no creative mind at all!! Thank you soooo much for being you : ) KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!! I absolutely love your revivals!!