YAY Wall Art Tutorial

You guys!!  Did you see this?!

People FREAKING Magazine!!

I feel like the luckiest girl in the world that this is my life.  I am so grateful for YOU, because without your love I would pretty much be writing to myself, and that just isnt as satisfying.

Today’s tutorial is the perfect extension of how I am feeling right now.  Check out Alicia’s Office Makeover for the entire room reveal!  The entire experience was just too cool.

Yay Sign

DIY Office Makeover Ideas

You will need:

(1) 2’x4’ piece of underlayment (thin plywood)

Painters Tape

Paint or a Paint Pen

Start by drawing or tracing your letters onto the 2’x4’ sheet.  (You can project the image below, or you can save it and resize it in a photo editor!)

YAY Wall Art Pattern Template

I used my favorite clear fabric ruler to make sure that the lines were straight.  That thing needs to be buried with me.

Once you have your lines drawn, jig out the outside shapes.

Make sure that the lines on the inside letters are clear and easy to see.

DIY YAY Wall Art Tutorial

Tape along the outer edge of the letters (I always use this technique to seal the tape for a perfect line!)

DIY YAY Wall Art Tutorial

To paint the inside of the letters I we used black Sharpie Paint Pens, left over from the Faux Wallpaper Sharpie wall.

Peel off your tape and admire your handy work!

DIY YAY Wall Art Tutorial

To mount these to the wall, I used small finishing nails that I nailed through the black part of the letters into the wall.  Then I touched them up with the paint pens.

Alicia's Office Makeover

Yay Sign

Alicia's Office Makeover

Home Office Makeover Ideas

• Trisha 20.05.2014 at 18:49

This is an amazing accomplishment! Congratulations, lady!

• caroline [the diy nurse] 20.05.2014 at 18:53

It looks great- so happy for you

• Maggie 20.05.2014 at 19:15

Congrats! That’s such a simple but cool project!

• Reenie 20.05.2014 at 21:14

WOW!! That’s awesome ~ congrats!! :)

• Amy 20.05.2014 at 22:13

You deserve every ounce of success. I’m so pleased to see that people will REAL and unique talent like you are getting recognition.

• Rachel 20.05.2014 at 22:57

Congratulations! Not a surprise though. You are such an inspiration and the recognition is well deserved!

PS – I still have your episode of the Nate Berkus show on our DVR. It will never be erased as it gives me so many ideas and because…well it’s Nate!

• BEverly 21.05.2014 at 00:47

VERY well deserved!!! Giant YAY!!!…for you. CHEERS

• Paige 21.05.2014 at 13:36

LOVE IT! Super cute! Congrats on getting in the magazine! It’s definitely well deserved!

• Brittany 21.05.2014 at 15:23

Girl, that is AMAZING!!! You’re such an inspiration. Also, I need more saws in my life. Table, miter, jig…. I sound like such a creep now. Haha!

• Pigglyquilts 21.05.2014 at 16:13

Girl, you are amazing!!!! I am so proud to receive your emails and updates and to know that you made the BIG TIME!!!

• Dana 21.05.2014 at 18:34

Oh girl! How stinkin’ exciting is that?!!! Congratulations!

• Maria 21.05.2014 at 22:31

Well deserved. You inspire many. I have already used three of your design ideas in my place and love it! There are many more I can’t wait to attempt.

• Julia@Cuckoo4Design 21.05.2014 at 23:12

PEOPLE magazine?!?!? How freaking awesome

• AnnW 22.05.2014 at 01:11

Well, this couldn’t happen to a more deserving person! Who else cuts up old sofas? Who else makes hard geometric shapes from pieces of tubular metal? Remember how some of the comments were, “It looks like fake stuff on the bookshelves?” and “I don’t like the sofa, I wouldn’t sit on it.” Ha! What do They know. Keep on thinking up all these strange things. We love them, even if we don’t make them, we still enjoy you. Hope you get a TV show sometime. Love your guts, Ann

• Karen @ a house full of sunshine 22.05.2014 at 04:43

Congratulations on the feature – that is so cool!! Loved the tutorial also. I’d been wondering how you did that sign. Good to know!

• Danielle 22.05.2014 at 13:17

Holy guacamole… you’re legit famous now! Congrats lady!

• Kim 27.05.2014 at 18:06

YAY!! haha.
    So, I would like to know how you taped the inside of the letter A, and the inside point on the Y!

• staci 28.05.2014 at 04:17

What?!?! People Magazine??? Seriously, I start a new book for the first time in two years , fall behind on reading your blog (sorry sorry sorry, but it’s a *really* good book!) and THIS is the kind of stuff I miss out on??!? Holy crap….that is absolutely amazing. You so deserve the recognition…your designs are just beautiful. I know it’s been said before, but I’ll repeat it yet again: You Should Have Your Own Show on HGTV! So proud of you!

• Lindsay 28.05.2014 at 18:23

This is amazing, Mandi! Way to go! So incredible :)

• Nicole 31.05.2014 at 20:45

I am inlove with the art. It adds a great pop to an already beautiful wall. Congrats on the People feature.

• Bubbles Bubbles Everywhere - Vintage Revivals 18.07.2014 at 17:06

[…] have really loved working with P&G for Home Depot (the peeps that made this happen and this entire room makeover) so when they came to me and said “Mands, we want you to do […]

• Friday Favourites: July 25, 2014 25.07.2014 at 21:10

[…] Green Kitchen Stories Design/Photography: Blossom Type by Alice Mourou DIY: YAY Wall Tutorial via Vintage Revivals Book/Article: Lighting Tips & Tricks for Bloggers & Photographers via Making Nice in the […]

• Shi Jie 03.12.2014 at 01:46

The YAY look so realistic and 3D! Awesome job!

• Chill Man. 28.01.2015 at 16:36

[…] anyone recognize that font?  Possibly from this project?  Jamie the Amazing designed an entire font (by hand!??!) and this is just one of the projects […]

• DIY Sharpie Walls 11.06.2015 at 23:26

[…] her other amazing one. Like People Magazine amazing, you guys. For real, this room was featured in People Magazine. Told you, rock star! Click here for this Sharpie Wall Tutorial from Vintage […]