DIY Wall Sconce Task Lights & A Target Update!

HowToMakeAWallSconceTaskLightTutorialvintagerevivals.jpg

Happy Friday!!!  Let’s get this party started (of course by party I mean the tutorials for Macie’s Boho Bedroom Makeover!)  If you are looking for sources for the items that are in the room check out this post.

Up first are the incredible wall mounted task lights that are on either side of Macie’s bed.

How To Make A Wall Sconce Task Light Tutorial vintagerevivals

First things first, you need to get your happy self to Target.  They have these really great stick lights that will make your life SO much more simple and you sort of need them to do this project….

Room Essentials® Wood Pole Scholar Lighting Collection

Start by taking the light off of the base,  you will just have to loosen the screw, and it should come right off.

I decided to change out the cord because I am obsessed with cloth coil cord right now, but that is 1000% optional!

*If you decide to leave your cord on you will need to tape it off while you are painting!

Wall Mounted Task Lights vintagerevivals.com-2-2

Give it a few LIGHT coats with the color of your choice.  I used Black in satin for mine.  Let it dry completely before you manhandle it.  Rewire it if you chose to change it, or take the tape off if you didnt.

Now pull out your wooden dowel and copper fittings.

You will need:

Supplies for Wall Mounted Task Lights vintagerevivals

How to make a wall sconce

Super glue (DO NOT use Gorilla Glue for this.  Trust me.)  I love this type from Loctite

Start by painting your dowels (or leaving them plain if you are a hippy and just love things natural.)

The assembly is simple folks.  Just put the glue on the dowel before you put it into the elbow.

Wall-Mounted-Task-Lights-vintagerevivals

How to build a Task Light vintagerevivals

Wall Mounted Task Lights vintagerevivals.com-10

Let your glue set for the recommended time (usually around 24 hours) before you attach your light.

Once your light is on you can glue on the caps that will on the end of the dowels.

Wall Mounted Task Lights vintagerevivals.com-11

Macrame Headboard Wool Army Blanket Teenage Girl's Bedroom Makeover vintagerevivals.com

Mount them using pipe straps and enjoy the amazingness day and night!

Retro Bohemian Teen Bedroom Makeover vintagerevivals.com-32

Simple and Inexpensive Shelves vintagerevivals.com

How To Make A Wall Sconce Task Light Tutorial vintagerevivals

Total cost?  $23.00

I just wanted to update everyone on the Target Copycat situation.

First I need to say thank you for your support, you guys have blown me away with your love and concern.  I think the term Target used was very devoted readers.  You guys are amazing.  That is all there is to it.

I did have a conference call with Target,  they were so nice and understanding.  They will be doing a really fun Q&A on the Bullseye View blog in the next few weeks (I will be sure to let you know when that is live!) and we are thinking of some some ways that we can work together in the future!   I am a firm believer that you should date a brand before you expect them to propose a lifelong commitment to you.  So Target and I have had a little bit of an awkward first date, but I am really looking forward to seeing what kind of relationship I hope it can blossom into.  Because I think we both like each other.  Hopefully in the next while everyone on the playground will be singing “Vintage Revivals and Target sitting in a tree….”

There is a really amazing secret project in this week’s newsletter, you probably wont want to miss it!  Sign up below!

• Diane @ Vintage Zest 11.04.2014 at 19:08

Glad to hear about the Target situation so far, but I really wanted to comment on how much I love this! Thanks for sharing the DIY as always! :)

• erin 11.04.2014 at 19:13

if only i had a spot for these!!!! i love the idea!!!

• Toni 11.04.2014 at 19:16

What a relief! I would hate to have to stop shopping there! :) I have to admit, I scrolled through the post to get to the Target update. haha! Now I’ll go back and look!

• Mindi 11.04.2014 at 19:28

This is super awesome! I really love it! Just curious why not gorilla glue? If you are talking the expandable kind I totally understand, but they do have regular super glue. Just wondering. You are amazing! I am glad you are working things out with Target!

• Mandi 11.04.2014 at 19:40

The expandable kind. Its not your friend.

• Julia@Cuckoo4Design 11.04.2014 at 19:31

So so good! You rule!

• Sarah 11.04.2014 at 19:33

Question! Did you use a table top or floor size? Thanks!

• Mandi 11.04.2014 at 19:40

Tabletop!

• CB 11.04.2014 at 19:54

Love the tutorial, something like this could work really well in my space. Hmm…must try.

I’m happy to hear that you are in talks with Target about working together. I think that could be such a great fit for you. Obviously they love your style! I could see you styling photoshoots for them, or doing a “Target Hacks” series that they sponsor. I mean, what big box store would not want to follow in Ikea’s footsteps by having a dedicated army of DIYers experimenting with their products.

• Gwen 11.04.2014 at 20:25

Those lights just rocked my DIY world. {cloth cords are like the Queen’s pearls…a simple but classy addition!}

Finger’s crossed that Target knows who they are dating and treats YOU like a Queen…

• Julie 11.04.2014 at 22:03

This is AWESOME! I’ve been looking for cool looking (but not bank-breaking) sconces for awhile now. I’m ordering two of those little lamps right now so I can do this project. I think I’ll stain the dowels instead of painting them.

• Julie 12.04.2014 at 02:31

Also, FYI everyone who wants to do this project, these lamps are buy one get one 50% off right now at Target.com. I ordered both lamps for under $25. (Make sure you pick the cheapest color, some of them are more expensive.)

• Evelyn 14.05.2015 at 19:14

Love these sconces and was wondering what their actual name is. I looked em on target and can’t seem to find them anywhere. Any suggestions on where else I could find something like this?

• Linda 12.04.2014 at 00:44

Hi Mandi! Two questions about your light tutorial:
    – do you have another tutorial on how to change the cord out to a cloth cord? And sources for the cloth cord?
    – what are the pipe straps you refer to for attaching the light to the dowel?
    Thanks!

• Diana 12.04.2014 at 00:56

Hope I don’t sound like a freak but I am so in love with your style and your amazing original DIY’s! There I’m done. But quick question, could you use liquid nail? I’m just concerned that with that super glue, When bump it (and I will) it will come apart. Thank you! And for the continual inspiration!

• diane 12.04.2014 at 01:41

“I did have a conference call with Target, they were so nice and understanding.”

I totally appreciate your positive outlook and generous spirit. But from an objective point of view, you deserve much more from them than niceness and understanding. I hope they cut you a series of deals that bring you money and (more) fame, because that is the very least they can do for stealing your content.

• Callie 12.04.2014 at 04:36

I would love to know your source for the cloth cord as well! Thanks :)

• caroline [the diy nurse] 12.04.2014 at 13:20

I love this- you continue to blow my mind on a daily basis. Can I please come live inside your brain in a non-serial killer way?

• tay marcelino 12.04.2014 at 22:05

I’m totally crazy about your blog!

I’m reading all the posts since yesterday, so much love about everything you put here.

please never stop it!

• Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire 13.04.2014 at 21:54

You have handled the Target situation so gracefully, and I have to applaud you for that! It is such a great example for others and also a reminder that an experience is what you make it.

• 5 Links for the Week - Gold Polka Dots 14.04.2014 at 15:08

[…] How fun would it be to have a grilled cheese party?!(ohhappyday.com) 2. Cute and affordable DIY wall sconces (vintagerevivals.com) 3. 20 spring fever inspired projects (abeautifulmess.com) 4. 5 DIY ways to embellish notecards […]

• Alici 15.04.2014 at 09:27

Hi mandi!
    Love the new look style of the lamps, copper & brass are really popular this year!
    Could you not use tubes to hide the cord inside and make it more discreet? I thought about it while reading your post but not sure that would work!

• DIY Darling: Get to Know Mandi Gubler of Vintage Revivals | A Bullseye View 23.04.2014 at 15:14

[…] Get to know our DIY crush below, and read on for Mandi’s illuminating DIY featuring a Target lamp. […]

• Illumination | Style it UP 28.04.2014 at 02:18

[…] Via […]

• Louise 29.04.2014 at 19:20

I read your blog religiously, almost on a daily basis and have also enjoyed it when you show up on Studio 5 occasionally. One of my favorite posts was the SWIG cookie recipe that I have made several times. I Love, Love this idea and want to make these lights and have found the lamp shade “insides” and purchased the wiring stuff but I am still stumped on where to get the cloth cord to wire it. There have been at least 3 other comments asking about the cord with no reply back from you so I thought I’d give it another whirl. I have read a couple of your other posts where you use the same cord but you never list your source of where to buy it from, I would really appreciate it and I know others would appreciate it also…..THANKS!

• Linda 30.04.2014 at 23:42

Hi Mandi! Do you have a link to a tutorial on how to change out the lamp cord? Thanks!

• Copycat Project: A Little Copper & A Little Lamp | Make it Mine 08.05.2014 at 17:16

[…] turn off the light switch to avoid getting up and out of bed. Classy girl I am. After seeing Mandy’s sconces on Vintage Revivals I decided to play Copycat and recreate […]

• Interieur Inspiratie Zelf een lamp maken | Interieur Inspiratie 23.05.2014 at 06:14

[…] werkbeschrijving op Vintagerevivals is overigens zeker de moeite waard want naast duidelijke foto’s staat er ook een leuk […]

• DIY sconce light tutorials | I like that lamp 31.05.2014 at 15:45

[…] This wall sconce light used and existing lamp plus some copper fixtures and wooden dowels, for a grand total of $23. Via Vintage Revivals […]

• Jen 22.06.2014 at 03:12

Love your blog and would love to know where you found the coil cord, too.

• 25 DIY Projects for Small Bedrooms | HOMEPINS.info 16.07.2014 at 21:48

[…] 16. Vintage Revivals repurposes a table lamp into a space-saving wall lamp. 17. It’s hard to believe this amazing brass swing light is a simple DIY. Hello Lidy via Apartment Therapy. 18. Sugar and Cloth shares a super easy wall sconce — it’s just a light kit and and IKEA bracket! 19. This swing arm wall sconce is perfect for reading in bed. FromApartment Therapy. 20. Design Sponge creates a simple pendant light with fancy electrical cord and a few knots. […]

• Easy Living Room DIY Projects for a great Visual Impact 15.09.2014 at 09:08

[…] sources: Camille Styles ; offbeat + inspired; Vintage Revivals ; Vintage Revivals ; Lebenslustiger.com; A Beautiful Mess; Lana Red Studio; Liz Marie […]

• DIY Gilded Accordion Sconce | francois et moi 29.10.2014 at 12:39

[…] inspiration in DIY sconces from Vintage Revival and Poppytalk, I used the accordion arm from Ikea’s Frack Mirror in combination with the […]

• 21 Modern DIY Light Fixtures | glitter & goat cheese 02.11.2014 at 04:58

[…] Wall Sconce Task Light by Vintage Revivals Mandi made this out a Target lamp, wooden dowels and a few copper elbows. Get the […]

• Lisa 21.01.2015 at 04:17

Hi Mandi! I LOVE this DIY and am VERY interested in doing it asap… I’m just curious as to how this only cost $23. I’m using the link from the beginning for the target lamps and they are more than the $23 each. Not really sure how to go about it otherwise… any idea on what kind of light this is for me to look up different brands/stores?? Thanks!

• Mandi 21.01.2015 at 04:43

Hey Lisa! When I bought the lights (and posted about it originally) they were on sale, they must not be on sale anymore!

• Laura 07.06.2015 at 21:59

Hi Mandi! I just found your site and I’m in LOVE! I’d love to recreate your wall-sconce project for the nursery I’m currently planning! I tried the link above for the target stick lamps, but it’s not working. I checked Target’s lamp selection online and didn’t see one exactly like either of the two above. Do you know of any other sources to buy these lamps? If not, I shall scour the internet. Many thanks!