Leather Wrapped Planters

I know what you are thinking.  “Mandi, put down the leather and slowly back away.”

But I cant!  I just cant do it!!

When I started Vintage Revivals I spray painted everything.  Everything.  Eventually I grew out of it.  That might be our only hope with the leather situation.  Every time I look at something, I say to myself,  “That would be awesome with leather!”

If you haven’t had the chance at scoring an old couch to skin, you can still do this project!  They sell scrap leather at Jo-Ann’s and Michael’s,  or you could find an old coat or bag to cut apart.

Leather Wrapped Planters vintagerevivals.com

To make these planters you will need obviously something to hold your plant.  It could be a jar or vase that you have lying around your house, or a simple terra cotta pot, or even a cottage cheese container.  You will also need leather and a hot glue gun.

Each planter is different.  To cover the square one I laid out a piece of leather face down and traced the sides on my bowl.  Then I rolled it over and lined it up with the line I had just drawn.

Leather Wrapped Planters vintagerevivals.com-18 (1) copy

Then I marked the other side, rotated and repeated until  I had 4 sides marked.  I cut it out and glued it to the bowl.  (I found these bowls at Homegoods.  They were $5.99 for 4.)  So adorable.  So simple.

Leather Wrapped Planters vintagerevivals.com-10

The little terra cotta pot got a coat of white gloss spray paint.

Leather Wrapped Planters vintagerevivals.com-7 copy

I added a few triangles and a band around the lip.  The design possibilities are endless guys.

Leather Wrapped Planters vintagerevivals.com-9

The large footed glass jar is one of my faves.  I just wrapped a scrap of leather around it and glued it into place.  Then I trimmed the excess off of the bottom.

Leather Wrapped Planters vintagerevivals.com-5

Sometimes projects dont need to be huge to be amazing!  I cant wait to show you guys where these little guys are going to be living!!

Leather Wrapped Planters vintagerevivals.com-3

Hope you guys have the best Monday, (despite the fact that it is Daylight Savings.  AZ you lucky state you.)

• Jenn @ HomeStyleReport 10.03.2014 at 19:25

Oh my! I did my first project with leather over the weekend and have enough left over to try one of these along with another idea I have floating around in my head.

PS…I’ve secretly been dying to share this with you since you’re probably the reason why I’ve been wanting to do something with leather. Thanks for the inspirational shove!

• Mandi 10.03.2014 at 19:33

Cant wait to check it out!!

• Kate 10.03.2014 at 22:37

You’re getting me obsessed with leather! I’ve been looking for something to cover terra cotta pots with. Thanks so much for sharing!!

(I live in Arizona and it’s slightly embarrassing, but I never know when it’s daylight savings)

• Cheria 11.03.2014 at 06:25

Girl I love these so much! I feel the same way about leather (although I haven’t grown out of my spray painting everything phase yet…lol). I was at the Swap meet this weekend and I gravitated to all things leather including some crusty old leather wallet that I talked myself out of buying but now I wish I would have…ugh! Great post Mandi!

• Wangu 11.03.2014 at 08:28

This is such a timely post, i am going through a gardening phase and this is a great way to jazz up old pots,
    love the glass one.

• Mindi 11.03.2014 at 17:38

I love it Mandi, using your scraps is awesome!

• Brooke @ allthingsthrifty 11.03.2014 at 19:38

These are so cute, my famous friend! Xoxo

• 204 Park 11.03.2014 at 20:36

Mandi! This is our first time commenting but we’ve looooved reading your blog for a long time now! So much love, we don’t even know where to begin 😉 We have a quick question for you – what program do you use to do all of your amazing graphic stuff? You always have the coolest fonts and other things going on and we NEED to know!
    Keep up the good work! XO!

• Julia@Cuckoo4Design 12.03.2014 at 14:47

Yes yes and YES! Such a cool idea

• Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is 15.03.2014 at 11:20

[…] DIY leather wrapped planters. so […]

• Currently Crushing On. | pinmeplease 16.03.2014 at 01:01

[…] DIY leather wrapped planters. so […]

• Coty and Mariah@quirksandtwists 16.03.2014 at 23:27

This is way cool! Lovely photos and cute DIY:)

• DIY Spring time! | Design Joy 21.03.2014 at 10:00