How To Make A Basic Geometric Himmeli Ornament

When I decided to DIY all my Christmas decorations this year I knew I wanted to kick things off with Himmeli.  I have seen mobiles and plant holders around the internets but lets be honest,  they look really intimidating.  Unless you are gifted in the knowledge of the spacial sort, it is a headache waiting to happen.

Luckily for you I have passed all 3 Professor Layton games on the Nintendo DS, so I am sort of an expert at this sort of thing.

One of the biggest problems that I was having was the simple fact that I had no clue what it was called.  Skinny geometric tubey hangy things?  I never would have guessed the name of this type of art.

That is until someone pinned a gorgeous pendant chandelier that was titled Himmeli Inspired Light.  And I was all “What is Heeemelllleeeee?”  So I googled it.

And then my life changed forever.

And here we are today.

DIY Geometric Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals

Traditionally Himmeli is made with straw (like the kind that grows out of the ground) and string.  Since straw is not readily available I settled for the next closest thing,  cocktail straws.  I tried to use string but because I was working with longer lengths of straw the needle was just too short (even the really long ones I bought.)  So I switched things up and used 30 gauge floral wire.

To make a basic himmeli polyhedron is simple.

All you need is a package of straws, floral wire, and scissors.  I found black cocktail straws at Target and white ones at my local grocery store.

Geometric Himmeli Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals.com

You will need 12 pieces of straw that are equal in length.

Geometric Himmeli Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals.com-2

Start by cutting a length of wire that is about 15 times longer than your straw length.  So if your straws are 4 inches you will want a piece of wire that is about 60”.  It is better to have too much than not enough,  sort of like money.  Can I get an amen?

Take 3 pieces of straw and string them on your wire.

Geometric Himmeli Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals.com-3

Connect the wire at the end of the straws together to make a triangle.

Geometric Himmeli Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals.com-4

String on 2 more pieces of straw.

Geometric Himmeli Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals.com-7

Connect it to make another triangle.

Geometric Himmeli Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals.com-5

How To Make Geometric Ornaments

Do this until you have 5 triangles all in a row.

Geometric Himmeli Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals.com-12

String one last piece of straw on.

Geometric Himmeli Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals.com-13

Connect your wire to the beginning piece (you will probably still have a little bit of a tail!)

Step by Step Geometric Himmeli Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals

Feed your wire through the side of one of the loose triangles

Geometric Himmeli Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals.com-15

Use it to connect the tops of both triangle flaps.

Geometric Himmeli Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals.com-16

TA DAAAAA!  You did it!!  It was so easy right?!  This is the fun part where you can add to your design.

DIY Geometric Ornaments vintagerevivals.com

Geometric Himmeli Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals.com-2-2

Geometric Himmeli Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals.com-3-2

DIY Himmeli Geometric Ornament

DIY White Christmas Decorations vintagerevivals.com-2

DIY All White Christmas Decorations vintagerevivals.com

DIY Geometric Ornament Tutorial vintagerevivals

• Elva 03.12.2013 at 19:09

1st – AMEN! These are beutiful! I have been reading your blog for a few months now and I soooo wish you lived close so I can just HUG you!! You are such an inspiration and talent. You are so blessed!

• Krystine McCormick 03.12.2013 at 19:12

Did you also make those little spray things that look almost like it might be a decorative pick? The thing to the left in the 18th picture?

• Mandi 03.12.2013 at 19:39

I actually found those at Michaels and sprayed them with Primer!

• Lynda Vernia 03.12.2013 at 19:19

Beautiful tree, love the idea of all handmade ornaments. I’m going to try this, but I’m going to use it for something a little different. My hubby really likes air plants (for some reason?) and I saw a beautiful, but expensive, hanging plant holder that looks quite similar to what you’ve made. I’ll add a longer cord and the plant and voila…perfect present for the hubby, handmade by me! Thanks :) And Merry Christmas!

• nancy @ owen's olivia 03.12.2013 at 19:53

How fun and easy!

• Lauren 03.12.2013 at 20:30

i love your tree stand! did you make it, buy it, find it??

• Katie @ the cat bed 03.12.2013 at 20:51

Love! Will definitely be trying to make my own. Your tree looks great with the simple colour scheme, may have to get some spray paint today!! 😉

• Emily Maldonado 03.12.2013 at 22:54

Wow! They look great! I’ll admit, I was a bit of a skeptic until I saw them all hanging on your tree. So fun and modern, I really love them!

• Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating 04.12.2013 at 04:13

I had never heard of Himmeli until a little earlier today when I saw a listing for some expensive Himmeli ornaments. And then your DIY version showed up in my blog feed. I’m going for a black/white/gold scheme this season, and don’t have enough ornaments in the colors I need, so I just might whip up a few of these. I love geometrics, and they’re so unexpected on a Xmas tree.

• tristie 04.12.2013 at 07:26

RAD. So doing these. THANK you, thank you! And thanks for posting where you got the straws. I think I will do little black ones for my tiny pink tree and huge gold ones for my real giant live tree!

• 8 Awesome Holiday Hacks - Vintage Revivals 04.12.2013 at 21:07

[…] your hands and give you a better finish.  I have an abundance of floral wire because of my DIY Geometric Ornament obsession and it worked like a charm.  Hang it waist high so that you can get above and below […]

• Karla 05.12.2013 at 15:59

How did you do the Himmeli inspired wreaths? I have been making the ornaments this year but those are so incredible!

• Mandi 05.12.2013 at 16:37

Hey Karla!
      I will have a tutorial going up tomorrow for them! xo

• ira lee 05.12.2013 at 19:47

just saw rachel’s tree- you must check it out! yall are spot on w each others ideas!!! smileandwave.typepad

• Jennifer Watkins 05.12.2013 at 23:48

Ha Mandy! I laughed when I saw your comment about having to park outside the garage because of the hoard in it. I have the same hoard, and although it doesn’t snow here in San Antonio, it has gotten pretty frosty and icy, making for a cold trip to school in the morning. When my husband complained about the pile of beloved not-quite-ready furniture, I took your advice and explained he had to “take one for the team”. He mumbled something, I’m not sure if he knows what team he’s on! Love love love your Christmas decor, you’re fantastic. I wish I could bottle your enthusiasm for days I’ve run out. You’re amazing! XOXO

• DIY Geometric Wreath Tutorial - Vintage Revivals 07.12.2013 at 17:53

[…] to make something similar lived in my every thought for days.  After trying my hand at making simple Himmeli ornaments, I felt like I understood the design process a lot better.  Looking at a 3 dimensional object […]

• jamie@kreyv 09.12.2013 at 01:34

LOVE these! I made some for my tree over the weekend and am including them in my fave DIY ornament round up. I’ll link back to this post. Thanks for the great idea…per usual!

Jamie

• 13 Awesome DIY Geometrical Christmas Ornaments 13.12.2013 at 07:48

[…] white straws himmeli (via vintagerevivals) […]

• Himmeli Earrings 03.01.2014 at 00:01

[…] a fairly quick and easy project!  I was inspired by Mandi’s DIY simple Himmeli ornaments on Vintage Revivals and one of the latest Chic Maker jewelry kits I got in the mail.  Included in this particular […]

• Snuggle Up This Winter | Chic Hits The Fan 31.03.2014 at 17:03

[…] a modern take on a traditional Finnish ornament. Head over to Vintage Revivals site to learn how to make your own for under […]

• Josie 04.09.2014 at 14:00

I have been searching the internet trying to find out what these are called! Thank you so much for this post, I’m going to use your method with brass tubing and make some for my new flat. I’ve already ordered the supplies (London isn’t great for buying this stuff in stores). I’ve spent my entire day at work going through you’re blog, there are so many inspiring projects so I just wanted to say thank you for your great ideas, which are beautifully executed.

Josie

• Diy Napkin Rings and Himmeli Ornaments 24.11.2014 at 11:00

[…] from Vintage Revivals. She has the best tutorial for these cute ornaments. Check out the tutorial HERE. While you are visiting her blog check out her awesome stuff. She is […]

• Christmas Decor | 04.12.2014 at 20:03

[…] used this tutorial to make the geometric himmeli […]

• How to Make A Scandi Style Geometric Ornament | 16.12.2014 at 14:01

[…] are quite expensive. Since I don’t like spending a lot of money on Xmas decorations, this Himmeli DIY and a pack of black straws is all you […]

• DIY Geometric Himmeli Wreath (made with cocktail straws!!) 17.12.2014 at 16:12

[…] how to make something similar lived in my every thought for days.  After trying my hand at making simple Himmeli ornaments, I felt like I understood the design process a lot better.  Looking at a 3 dimensional object 2 […]