Plywood Pinwheel Art

RemovableGeometricWallTreatmentMaskcaraOfficeMakeovervintagerevivals.com_.jpg

If I have said it once, I’ve said it 1000 times.  Art is hard.  Art is either expensive, or so mainstream everyone knows that you bought it at Target.   I would LOVE to learn how to paint (sigh, one day friends.) but best news ever… you can totally make this art with zero skills.

Last month I was flipping through the September issue of HGTV Magazine (my fave!)and saw this image.

IMG_2062

It stung me to my freaking core.  Now I know that there was probably mad technique involved.  But to my pick-it-apart-until-I-figure-it-out mind, I saw peg board, straight lines,  lots of color, and texture.  And immediately thought, I can do that.  Or at least do something that is inspired by it.

Plywood Pinwheel Art Tutorial vintagerevivals

In Cara’s office we needed some art that was large and in charge to balance the entire wall of shelves that are on the opposite wall.  Without something that took up a lot of space the room would feel very weak on one side.  I also knew that filling in all of the spaces would be too much for the calming, comfortable vibe that I was going for.  Hence the inspired by, not exact replica mentality.  Side note:  if you see something that you love, the funnest part of the entire operation is taking what you love about it, and making it your own.

Maskcara Office Makeover vintagerevivals.com-41-2

Surprisingly the biggest hurdle that I ran into in this project was the fact that Cara and I both have small cars and couldn’t fit a 4×4 piece of ply in them.  Which lead to using 2 2×4’s.  In this case we had to take a page from my girl Nester and just say “It doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful.”

Start by gathering your supplies.  You will need a few different types and colors of paint.  Acrylic, Watercolor, Gold Leaf Paint , and plaster are the ones that I chose.  The Plaster that I used had really great packaging, so that is why I bought it.  Valid reason right?  I mean, that guy is so cute.

Painting Supplies

The most important supply in this art project is a roll of painters tape.

I am a ScotchBlue™ girl until I die,  for this particular project I recommend using the ScotchBlue Advanced Multi Surface with Edgelock.  Because you are painting on Ply you wont need to worry about pulling up the fresh paint.   So get the one with the green writing.

Start by finding the center point on your wood.  I chose to make mine off center to make it a little more interesting (*cough* and so I didn’t have to measure anything *cough*) from there you just start taping.

Make sure that your center point is where both pieces of tape meet (seems a little obvious, but I had to retape a few times because I missed the mark.)

Mix your paint, water, plaster, whatever you have planned for this strip, and get to it.  Quality tape=perfect paint lines every time.

Plywood Pinwheel Art Tutorial vintagerevivals.com-4

When you are using water putty, mix it with an acrylic paint color.  If you try and use an oil based paint you are going to have major problems.  Remember my love, that when you are rocking the plaster that you want a lot of texture.  Smoothness= Lameness.  Got it?

Plywood Pinwheel Art Tutorial vintagerevivals.com

Peel off your tape while your paint/plaster is still wet,  it will hold its shape, but you will see some seepage from the water.  This is totally fine and will dry.

Plywood Pinwheel Art Tutorial vintagerevivals.com-10

I LOVE the loose watery effect of using watercolor on wood.  Because there is so much water involved in this paint, once again seepage will happen, but that is what makes it look SO AWESOME.  These stripes are like the cool kids in high school, they don’t care,  they are just going to do what they are going to do and everyone is going to be insanely jealous and try and figure out how they are so effortlessly awesome.

Maskcara Office Makeover vintagerevivals.com-27 Plywood Pinwheel Art Tutorial vintagerevivals.com-8

Removable Geometric Wall Treatment  Maskcara Office Makeover vintagerevivals.com

The really fun part of this project is customizing it to something that is perfect for your house.  Mix colors, channel your inner Da Vinci and make sure you send me pictures!

scotchblue, scotchblue painter's tape, painter's tape, tape

This post is a collaboration with ScotchBlue™ Painter’s Tape. To join the creative community, visit www.facebook.com/ScotchBlue.

• Lori D 27.09.2013 at 15:24

Gorgeous!! Absolutely love it!

• Cara@theprojectaddict.com 27.09.2013 at 15:27

i loved that art from HGTV mag too. Great job on yours! Can’t wait to see the wall tutorial!

• Mel C 10.07.2014 at 20:54

The artwork from the HGTV magazine was made by BART VARGAS from Omaha, NE. Unfortunately he did not receive credit in the magazine when the issue came out but hopefully Mandi will give him due credit after seeing this post. It is wonderful that Bart’s artwork is inspiring others, he is a very talented and hardworking artist!

• Jessica @The Mom Creative 27.09.2013 at 15:31

I love your guts. That is all.

• christine 27.09.2013 at 15:32

i love how you describe in detail what you did, and what products you used. i have a big wall in need of pizzazz, and i can see it now! and thanks to you showing me what i need, i can get right on it :)
    that is, after i paint our bedroom concrete floor. found your blog yesterday when i researched options on that. posthaste saved screenshots of the paint and gloss you used on the faux bois floor in your daughter’s room.
    chapeau!
    [p.s.: and of course i watched your ‘arranging stuff on shelves’ video and am now contemplating ditching the ‘i won’t take it home from the thrift store if i don’t know where to put it’ attitude.]
    long ramble. in short: vielen dank.

• Sonia 27.09.2013 at 15:35

Wow.wow.wow! I’m going to make one for my bedroom and I think one for my dining room. I’ve had a huge blank wall just begging to be decorated! I heart you!

• claire 27.09.2013 at 15:50

love love love! how did you hang it?

• claire 27.09.2013 at 15:51

love love love~! what mechanism did you use to hang it?

• Mandi 27.09.2013 at 16:04

Hey Claire!
      I just used small finishing nails through the front of it to hang it on the wall (it is my favorite way to get something completely flush!)

mandi

• kylie 27.09.2013 at 15:54

I love it! Can you tell us what colors you used? The brand? Where did you buy your supplies?

• Kelly @ Studio DIY 27.09.2013 at 16:00

We are in some major need of wall art in our house, and this is the PERFECT project for it! These colors are just to die for too!

• Nicole 27.09.2013 at 16:13

Beautiful. I guess I’m confused. After doing the first color, do you let it dry and tape over it before doing a color next to it, or do you free hand colors next to each other after the initial one? I imagine you couldn’t tape over the putty and still get a crisp line. I feel like I am missing something.

• Mandi 27.09.2013 at 16:17

Good question Nicole! The putty creates a barrier on one side so you will only need to tape the other side to do that stripe. For the paints just wait until they are dry and then tape over them!

• Nicole 27.09.2013 at 20:00

Thanks! I re-read it like 5 times and I figured it much be a common sense thing, but I just couldn’t get it. :) Now it’s like, “Well, Duh!” Thanks again.

• Laurie 27.09.2013 at 16:26

I love the texture on this! It makes it very painterly. The off-center is nice too. It makes it much more visually interesting. I think your version of this project rocks!

• Rachel 27.09.2013 at 16:38

You are pretty much the coolest kid I (don’t) know! Thanks for another amazing project.

• Megan @ Rappsody in Rooms 27.09.2013 at 16:43

I loooove this so much. What a fun mix of paints and textures. It fits the room perfectly! Love!!

• Kelly 27.09.2013 at 16:45

Hi Mandy! Your colors are beautiful. How do you choose?

• Jessica @ Dear Emmeline 27.09.2013 at 16:49

gorgeous!! perfect mix of colors and textures.

• Sarah 27.09.2013 at 16:51

Yours is way better than the original, I must say. The off-centeredness of it, the open spaces, the various textures. Just fantastic. I’m thinking I might let my kids help paint some small canvas versions of this.

• Heidi @ Happiness is Homemade 27.09.2013 at 17:02

love, love LOVE it! I made a much smaller and simplified version of something similar last year (in clock format!), and now I’m feeling inspired to tackle it in a much larger wall piece. The texture is amazing! Totally gorgeous! :)

• BejA 27.09.2013 at 18:03

UH!!! Knock me over! In love with this pinwheel idea. SO happy you shared.

• Angel L 27.09.2013 at 18:17

This is amazing! Yours it totally more awesome than the inspiration. I am definitely going to have to give this a try.

• Steph @ Crafting in the Rain 27.09.2013 at 19:20

Such a fun piece Mandi–thanks for the walk through!

• Alicia 28.09.2013 at 00:02

What?! You don’t do the redneck thing and just stick your arm out the window and hold stuff to the top of your car fervently praying the whole time? That’s my method. :)

• Emmie 28.09.2013 at 00:21

I love it! You’re right, you definitely needed a big piece of art to balance that wall and this was a wonderful (and cheap!) way to do so.

• Gwen, The Makerista 28.09.2013 at 02:18

I would never think to us watercolor on wood…because apparently I don’t think outside the box like that. Way to think outside the box. :) Looks really great!

• Trish G. 28.09.2013 at 02:43

I fell in love with this piece right away but I love it 25x more now. I couldn’t tell from the original post that there was texture in there! Awesome. I just love it.

• Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is 28.09.2013 at 11:25

[…] awesome plywood pinwheel art. can i be crafty??? that is the […]

• caroline [the diy nurse] 28.09.2013 at 12:16

I LOVE how you made it kind of 3D… I wouldn’t have thought of that!

• Susan m. 28.09.2013 at 13:33

I can see this as four 4×4 squares and done as a triptych-type piece of art – a fourtych if you will. You know, cause you may have a REALLY small car or ride a bike. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Currently Crushing On. | pinmeplease 29.09.2013 at 01:01

[…] awesome plywood pinwheel art. can i be crafty??? that is the […]

• Coty and Mariah 29.09.2013 at 02:55

I have an extra peg board just begging to look like the one above. So creative!

• Quinn Risdall 29.09.2013 at 14:44

The original artist from the HGTV piece is Bart Vargas just FYI

• Allison 01.10.2013 at 15:10

I am going to use the idea for a headboard for my bed. I love the water Colorado on the wood.

• Thread Wrapped Stool - Vintage Revivals 07.10.2013 at 16:19

[…] psst! if you have any left over thread, this project is perfect!  And if you missed the tutorial for the Plywood Pinwheel Art you can find that here! […]

• amber 08.10.2013 at 12:52

that is really beautiful! thanks for the tutorial.

• brittanyMakes 08.10.2013 at 15:44

this is pretty legit. looks amazing in your space!

• Emily 14.10.2013 at 15:12

I love this! I am in the process of making my own. How thick was your plywood? I got the only 4×4 piece I saw at HD but it feels a little heavy to mount with finishing nails. Maybe I will nail it as though I bought the 2×2 pieces. Just wondered if I accidentally bought a much thicker piece than I should have.

• Mandi 14.10.2013 at 17:50

They ply that we used was 1/8 but I have used up to 1/2″ and it was fine with finishing nails (just make sure with something heavier that you are hitting a stud!)

• It’s been awhile… | The Bottom Lein 24.10.2013 at 16:24

[…] This art project : Plywood Pinwheel Art . This just so happens to have been created for the office makeover of the aforementioned beauty […]

• Lisa 03.02.2014 at 21:04

Love this! The colours, the textures. Everything about it is awesome. Great job!

• Wall Art? Do It Yourself! 06.04.2014 at 19:11

[…] gorgeous. And it was totally inspired by a tutorial I saw on one of my favorite diy blogs- Vintage Revivals. If you’ve ever stumbled across that website you’ve definitely seen the painting. […]

• DIY Art Project | The Tina Times 21.06.2014 at 17:46

[…] crafty with this simple but beautiful Plywood Pinwheel Art piece you can make at home.  The design is super versatile, so you can be creative with color […]

• wayne brekke 10.07.2014 at 14:52

Meet the original artist behind the inspiration for this whole thing. http://bartvargas.com/
    He’s been doing this for years and has an international following. In fact the piece that was originally featured in the HGTV article was his. Props where props are due.

• best of the week: july 11 | Live Within Your Space 11.07.2014 at 02:48

[…] considering stealing this idea for the […]

• 8 Easy Wall Art Projects - The Crafted Life 16.07.2014 at 07:02

[…] 5. DIY Graphic Circle Wall Art by Homey Oh My! 6. Potato Print Artwork DIY by Oh Happy Day 7. Plywood Pinwheel Art by Vintage Revivals 8. DIY Diamond Art by […]

• Friday Favorites | House of Bowman 15.08.2014 at 19:32

[…] Favorite DIY Art. […]

• Paula Atallah 25.08.2014 at 16:14

I have some plaster of paris (POP) laying around the house. Do you have any experience using this instead of water putty? If so how do you recommend tinting the POP?

Thanks!

• DIY Pinwheel Wall Art | thekelseyjane 03.09.2014 at 14:24

[…] stumbled across Mandi’s blog recently and decided I would take a stab at adding some new artwork to my gallery wall.  I […]

• Add some spring to your home – part 1 | Scrapbook of Style 08.09.2014 at 09:26

[…] via Vintage Revivals […]