Geode String Art

Hot Pink Geode String Art Tutorial vintagerevivals

So excited for today’s project!  I have caught the crystal fever,  not the kind where you become so obsessed that you blow millions on them like our good friends Speidi (did you know that they are still married?!) but obsessed enough that I want the design everywhere.

Finding affordable,  inspiring art for your house is somewhere that a lot of people (myself included) come up short.  It seems like time and again you have the option of unique and inventive art that is uber pricey.  Or boring and well…boring and is readily available.

Creating art for your house with elements that inspire YOU, is one of the best ways to build your creativity.  And the good news?  Its not permanent, so if you have rapidly changing design hormones, you can change it up as often as you need.

Supplies for this Geode String Art project cost a meager $1.59.  That is what I spent on a roll of Embroidery Thread.  Everything else I had on hand.  Sometimes great art does not have to be expensive.

Geode String Art

When you are rockin a project like this, you want to make sure that you are using really thick high quality paper.  I used Watercolor paper because it is what I had on hand and I am mildly obsessed with the texture.  If you want though, you can totally use poster board, foam core,  or even fabric.

Start by finding an image that you love.  This is mine. (Thanks Jamie!!)

Geode Art

Notice that there are only a few points that all of the lines meet.  This is what gives it the crystal structure design.  If your lines are all over the place with no rhyme or reason,  it just doesn’t have the same effect.

Start by marking where your intersection points are.  It doesn’t have to be perfect,  you can absolutely free hand it.

Geode String Art

Poke a small hole in each of your marks with your needle and then start threading your design.

Make sure that the thread only crosses each line on the front once,  you can overlap as many times as you need to on the back of your project, but keep the front beautiful.

Geode String Art

This is a great project to do while you are catching up on, oh…something like Breaking Bad for instance.  I am only on Season 3 and everyone in my life is telling me to hurry and watch it so we can discuss.

Geode String Art

Geode String Art Tutorial

Geode String Art

Hot Pink Geode String Art

How To Make Geode String Art

Now for the REALLY good part.

Have you ever fallen down the blogging rabbit hole?  You know where you click somewhere and it takes you somewhere else, and then that takes you somewhere else and so on, until your kids are screaming at you because they are starving?  I know that personally, I have gotten into the habit of living in the DIY bubble and don’t regularly read blogs outside of this niche.  Everyone that I chatted with about this phenom is in the same boat.  So one night (really really late) I got to thinking.  I was thinking about all of these amazingly talented people that are queens of their own respective niches and how much I loved what they were doing.   And how people just didnt know.   Then it hit me like a wall of bricks (rainbow of course)

What if everyone came together with a common element?

An element like color.

Introducing the quarterly Color Challenge.  Dun dun dun duuuuun!! 7 amazing bloggers working their respective magic with one specific color.  Then it is all prettied up and delivered right to your keyboard.  Everything from parties (Studio DIY) to makeup (Maskcara), and cookies (Bake at 350) to kids crafts (Small Fry).  And of course fashion (Cara Loren) to furniture (yours truly) to organizing (iHeart Organizing).

I am so excited about it I cant even contain myself.

Color Challenge

It is like Christmas with a big fat pink bow.  Pink because it is the color for this quarter.  More specifically Hot Pink.   Hope you guys find inspiration for every aspect of your life.

Oh, and please enjoy the rabbit hole.  You have my permission to not do laundry today.

Image Map

• Julia @Cuckoo4Design 18.09.2013 at 11:05

What an awesome idea to have a color challenge and naturally you rocked it 😉
    I do fall down the blogging rabbit hole on a regular basis by the way. So bad that I think I need an intervention.

• Gemma 18.09.2013 at 13:37

• Emily 18.09.2013 at 14:08

I love this Mandi! I am so doing it. I have a whole basement to decorate and this is calling my name. xo em

• bridget {bake at 350} 18.09.2013 at 14:52

A. I just love you.

B. This project! I’m always struggling to find art for our house…and I think I can DO this!!!

C. You are so, so right about getting “stuck” reading only one blogging niche. It actually dawned on me when I was doing this project. I love home stuff, I love fashion, I love makeup, etc. etc….WHY am I only reading about FOOD?!? This was awesome! Thank you!

• Chaney 18.09.2013 at 15:48

Thanks for the rabbit hole! Can’t wait to check this ladies out :).

• Holly 18.09.2013 at 16:31

Do you know what I love to embroider on? Canvases! It’s already a piece of art when your finished and you don’t even need to frame it! Just hang it up or put it on a shelf and you’re set. Love the simplicity of the faceted shapes! I’m digging them!

• Caitlin @ Desert Domicile 18.09.2013 at 16:32

Awesome idea! Would look great at a larger scale too :)

• Amanda @ Our Humble Abode 18.09.2013 at 16:32

Super fun! And love that it wan’t something crazy expensive. Embroidery is such an under used art form.

• Mindy 18.09.2013 at 17:03

Good idea!

• Jenna 18.09.2013 at 17:05

you’re a genius mandi!! thank you for having us!!

• Kelly @ Studio DIY 18.09.2013 at 17:09

I love this string art project, Mandi! And so excited to be a part of this color challenge. It’s so cool to see how everyone used the color in their own niche!

• danielle Oakey INteriors 18.09.2013 at 17:22

I love how they turned out. I think I may need to copy for my little 5 year olds room! Thanks for the inspiration!!

• nat 18.09.2013 at 17:40

This is why I love you and your blog: you are a genius, you’re extremely creative, you have fantastic ideas and you execute them soooo well (diy, interiors, graphic design, social connections). Thanks for everything you do. You’re a total inspiration to me :)
    [Sure, that was really gushy, but it has to be said]

• Amy@Theblissfulbee 18.09.2013 at 17:54

What an awesome idea!! I too get lost in the rabbit hole:) Looking forward to expanding my reading a bit!

xo, amy

• Becca 18.09.2013 at 20:06

This is so cute!!! I love doing string art and this looks like such a simple pattern, but has amazing impact!

Ladyface Blog

• Jen 18.09.2013 at 20:19

So simple yet so genius! Way to go my talented friend!

• Allison 19.09.2013 at 03:36

So cute, I love geometric art but with a whole house to decorate I’m procrastinating because I can’t afford it. This is a must try, thanks Mandi!!

• michelle 19.09.2013 at 12:13

need to know more about miracle- a bit of a love at first ” site” . DId you make that chair and is there anyway we can have a tutorial on how to cover chairs or anything in that fabulous fluffy stuff? I need a miracle too!

• Chelsea 20.09.2013 at 03:06

Oh my goodness it looks amazing! I absolutely love the color scheme! Fantastic job :) thanks for sharing!

• I’m Ready for the Weekend | East Coast Girl 20.09.2013 at 21:21

[…] Geode String Art – this is so simple and I just so happen to have some embroidery floss in my craft supply […]

• Dianne 21.09.2013 at 12:52

You are a genius! LOVE this! It’s so beautiful and fun and wonderful! I want this room, too! :)

• Michele 22.09.2013 at 15:31

This is so cute! I did a row of 3 different shapes to hang in my bathroom and it looks so cute.. Thank you Mandi your awesome .. :)

• VAnessa DeNike 25.09.2013 at 05:20

Holy Crap!! This is so amazing!!! I will for sure have to make one of these for our new home.

• Trixie’s Picks | The Austinista 27.09.2013 at 19:57

[…] DIY project for a picture or pillow?  Vintage Revival has a great post on how to create your own geode string art […]

• Thread Wrapped Stool - Vintage Revivals 07.10.2013 at 16:12

[…] if you have any left over thread, this project is perfect!  And if you missed the tutorial for the Plywood Pinwheel Art you can find that […]

• Chas 22.10.2013 at 21:17

You inspiring little devil you! Here is my take…thank you for giving me an art piece that wasn’t a saying or photo. I adore you! :)

• Chas 22.10.2013 at 21:18

Oops! No image. Oh well. It’s still a fantastic idea!

• Handmade Christmas Ornaments: String Art Ornaments 26.11.2013 at 10:50

[…] a big fan of these geode shapes and my gal pal Mandi made a fun piece of art, which got me thinking I’d love that idea in a mini ornament sized version. Mandi and I both […]

• DIY Leather and Brass Teardrop Hanging Planter - Vintage Revivals 16.12.2013 at 14:52

[…] from 6 different niches choose 1 color to inspire you in every aspect of your life! You can see our Fall Challenge here!) Our color this round is GOLD!  (my […]

• Home Sweet Home: 12 DIYs to Brighten Up Your Dorm or Apartment | Forevervogue 02.02.2014 at 20:32

[…] Geode String Art (via Vintage Revivals) […]

• Home Sweet Home: 12 DIYs to Brighten Up Your Dorm or Apartment | Hush | This is the Big Gossip 02.02.2014 at 20:55

[…] Geode String Art (via Vintage Revivals) […]

• Home Sweet Home: 12 DIYs to Brighten Up Your Dorm or Apartment - 03.02.2014 at 06:01

[…] Geode String Art (via Vintage Revivals) […]

• Home Sweet Home: 12 DIYs to Brighten Up Your Dorm or Apartment – College Fashion 05.02.2014 at 20:54

[…] Geode String Art (via Vintage Revivals) […]

• Interieur Inspiratie Geometrische kunst zelfmaken | Interieur Inspiratie 04.07.2014 at 05:32

[…] is namelijk gemaakt met papier, draad en een naald. En nog makkelijker ook het patroon staat op Het enige wat jij hoeft uit te kiezen in welke kleur je deze beauty wil maken.  Koper, babyblauw, […]

• DIY Wall Art | The Tina Times 19.03.2015 at 17:42

[…] Geode String Art //Vintage Revivals […]

• Sarah Donawerth 04.09.2015 at 21:22

This is a great, quick, and easy project for adding some artwork to any space. Love it! I’ve been curious about maybe embroidering some photos to use as artwork. I have plenty of Instagram photos that need to be spruced up before I would consider framing them.