Confessions of a Pillow Addict: The Five Degrees of Chop-ology

071807poofyourself[4]

Have you guys enjoyed this weeks Pillow Confessions?  I have had a BLAST sharing them with you!

You cant talk pillows without talking about the pillow chop.

A pillow chop (for those that are unaware) is when you fluff a pillow and then chop the top of it and put a large dent in it.

There are 5 different degrees of Chop-ology, or Hell, if you are not a chop fan, that I want to bring to light today.

If you are as much of a Bravo addict as I am, you will probably remember Chad from the first few seasons of Million Dollar Listing.

He is the quintessential Over Chopper,  also known as The Chuck Norris.  There is major brute force involved in getting these pillows chopped…so much in fact, that you have either:

a) Hurt yourself…yes, on a pillow

b)  Severely damaged the unfortunate furniture that the pillow was resting on.

This is what The Chuck Norris does to a pillow.  I mean, it is basically changing the pillows entire DNA structure.  Doesn’t it look like it is in pain?!

071807poofyourself

Level 2 is The Botox Chop (also known as a mid chop) is something that I do fairly often.  It makes the pillow look younger,  fresher.   Like it has someone to look fancy for.  To achieve this look,  I lightly chop the top and then pat the pillow twice on the front.  Like it has a big belly.  This softens the top chop a little.   And always makes me think of a fat man.  So there is that fun visual for you.

Neon Skull Pillow From Target Scarf

The third level of Chopology is the  Gigli Chop aka the Barely There Chop.  You are looking at it,  and cant actually tell if it has been chopped on purpose,  or if the pillow was just made with a dent in it.  This look is easily achieved by lightly chopping an overstuffed pillow.   Or by pulling the upper corners out after you chop.

Dylan's Dream Room Makeover-57

Fourth on our list is the Bimbo Chop aka the Fluff .   This look is achieved by shaking the pillow so that it fills up with air.  There isn’t a ton of dimension to this chop, and there is definitely no channeling your inner Mr. Miyagi.   (I know in the picture below that the lack and white pillow is a little chopped, but for this example look at the other ones.)

Thrift store gallery wall Living Room Makeover @ Vintage Revivals

And last but not least, level 5 is the Ke$ha Chop.  Which means, you guessed it, the pillow is what it is.  There is no sprucing, no fluffing, no washing.  Nothing.  You sit on it and leave it exactly how you found it.  Squished and not attractive.

Lumpy Flat Pillow

I know people have strong feelings toward the chopping situation, and I am SUPER excited to follow along with the debate in the comments, so weigh in below my lovies!  Are you pro or con on the chop?

• gourleygirlandguy 16.08.2013 at 12:37

OK. So, I think chopping is scary sometimes. I just think it can look super staged. BUT- I have to say that your level 2 and 3 have changed my mind a bit. I thought the level 2 looked good in yesterday's post about the scarf-pillows. It also made making scarves into pillows make a lot more sense for me- so thanks. And also, the Gigli? BAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA #1- I saw that movie in theaters. WHAT?! #2- I love how the kangaroo pillow looked with the slight chop.

OK. That wasn't very controversial or debate-ish. But I'm starting to question my previous pillow techniques and wanting to make some- ASAP.

• Jessica 16.08.2013 at 12:38

I am personally a fluffer, aka a "bimbo chopper", my husband is a Ke$ha chopper…and it drives me CRAZY!

I don't love the chopped look to be honest, maybe just because I cruise etsy too much and every pillow on there is chopped… it's just overdone.

• taidyeoriginal 16.08.2013 at 12:52

I just keep giggling at myself wondering how we went from pillow talk to pillow chop…seems like a big jump. haha. sorry, ima nerd

• Nikki @ the ambitious procrastinator 16.08.2013 at 12:56

Botox and Gigli chop fo' sho'! Although if we're being honest, my pillows fall into the Ke$ha category the majority of the time. That is until about 3 minutes before anyone comes over. It's amazing how fluffy pillows can make your home look 45% tidier. (Notice I didn't use the term cleaner???)

• Kirsten Krason 16.08.2013 at 13:40

chop chop chop!!! I love a good chopped pillow :)

• Love This Space 16.08.2013 at 13:42

All right, I'll bite. I'm not a chopper. I've seen it so much in model homes that I've developed a bit of an aversion. I tend to turn the pillow on its corner. I don't really have a strategy for this other than I want something other than square.

I wonder what kind of chopper that makes me? The Skewed Chop? The Anti-Chop? Strange?

• Stephanie McDonnell 16.08.2013 at 14:02

I have question, not chop related. (Although I am pro-chop!) Do your pillows stay there all nice and neat on the sofa? I love throw pillows, but have not accented with them because with three kids and a man in the house, they just get tossed on the floor or all over the couch, and just winds up being one more mess for me to clean up. In fact, they usually get tossed aside just as quickly as I place them. Tell me, almighty pillow guru, that there is a solution! Superglue maybe?

Love you!
    Steph

• Jennifer Menteer 16.08.2013 at 14:03

Oh my gosh. Chad and his stupid hair. I'm obsessed with MDL, but I'm so glad he's not on it anymore!! (I think I'm team Madison these days ;D) LOVE the chops! I think I'd have to go with the #2, though we're Ke$ha around my house most of the time 😀

• Laura of cute is important 16.08.2013 at 15:21

Hate the chop. But I like the photo of your skull pillow, chop & all.

• reFresh reStyle 16.08.2013 at 17:21

I'm a chopper and I relate with level 2, Botox….for the pillow and wish I had some for myself, just a smidge between my eyes and my laugh lines 😉
    Debbie

• Tina@The BanditGirl 16.08.2013 at 18:20

Love MDL, Team Madison for sure, NO CHUCK NORRIS! Botox chop for me, if I have time, if not..toss and land where she may. I love PILLOWS!!! And your tips this week have been GREAT!!! I am going to shop for scarves this weekend!!!

• Meg@OliverandRust 16.08.2013 at 19:11

i had such a love/hate relationship with chad and those damn skinny jeans that looked like they were glued to his butt and of course the joint custody of the dog. lol. i am a definite #2 chopper botox. not too much but just enough to keep the pillow healthy looking although we sit on it and lay on them fiercely at night. this was a great post.

• Judy 16.08.2013 at 20:15

I'm strictly a botox chopper, nothing more, nothing less. I have some pillows that I have to re-fluff and chop many times over, as the slightest over-chop can leave them looking like they'd been in a Chuck Norris movie,. (horror of horrors) If left in that "Chuck Norris" for even a few seconds, they simply fall forward; not a good look especially when used singularly on a chair. I'm quite proud; I have the art of the botox chop down to a science. My biggest problem, my husband is Chuck Norris and when I leave the room he goes to work on my pillows.

• pendy 16.08.2013 at 20:35

Guess I'm by myself with the Barely There Chop. When the rest of the family is here they work the Ke$ha chop, for sure.

• Moto Mom Livin Life 16.08.2013 at 20:51

Wow! Chad! He def was a perfectionist when it came to throw pillows and his hair!! Got me thinking… What happened to him?

• Mallory Nikolaus 16.08.2013 at 21:00

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Sassss 16.08.2013 at 21:02

I'm a fluffer. My youngest daughter is a fluffer. My hubby & step-daughter are Ke$ha 'choppers'. But, I've always thought of them more as steam rollers. So, I don't have removed all of the smashable pillows, and replaced them with firm foam cushions, like cubes, bolsters, & poufs. Et voila'! Peace reigns supreme!

• Classy Clutter 16.08.2013 at 21:02

I'm really into the Botox chop. With my 3 kids, sometimes it looks a little Ke$ha up in here.

PS. I love you for your tips on HomeGoods clearance (fugly!) pillows for cheap, amazing, down pillow forms. You're the bomb.

Hugs, Mallory @ Classy Clutter

• Jean Poylini 17.08.2013 at 03:10

Interesting decorations, I like it. I need to start a page as your ans recently I asked a web design company ELCO PLANET (www.elcoplanet.com) to develope the page for me.. I was just interested for web hosting..I can see your blog , can you please advice me about web hosting provider.. have you ever heard for http://www.elcoplanet.com offering hosting, alpha reseller hosting… ? thanks a lot

• Brittany 17.08.2013 at 06:22

hahahaha The Ke$ha pillow. SO great. my favorite is botox pillow, but mine never look like that, they are always $12 clearance pillows and are filled to the max and don't have room to be chopped. Need to get some more high quality pillows I 'spose:)

• Tara @ Suburble 17.08.2013 at 07:51

Anyone who references Chad Rogers in a post is instantly my new favourite bloggy person. (Sidenote: do you remember how he tried to organize that custody agreement for the dog!?!?)

I much prefer very subtle "chops", though I have to admit – during the day, there are often 1 or 4 Ke$sha chopped pillows lying around the house. Hot Messes…. that's for sure.

• Tanya Runkle 17.08.2013 at 08:42

So that is what it's called, brilliant. I am a partial-chopper. Some have a fluff and some a chop. I like the unexpected…

xo, Tanya

• jennifer 17.08.2013 at 09:08

Over-chopped pillows look like cat ears. Not a fan!

• Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating 17.08.2013 at 10:15

Who could forget Chad? I was disappointed when he didn't come back for later seasons. His OCD was always entertaining. Still think of him any time I see an overly chopped pillow!

• Kimberly 17.08.2013 at 12:01

I'm just happy when my boys leave my pillows on the couch and they aren't thrown on the floor.

• Laura Lynn 17.08.2013 at 18:46

Not a chopper. I know Genevieve and other HGTV stars brought this to the mainstream but it's too staged and overdone for me.
    I always buy clearance pillows too or better yet $5.00 kmart pillows. As quickly as I recover them and as much use as they get, I need them as cheap as possible.

• Lynne 18.08.2013 at 00:24

Oh my gosh – my sentiments exactly. I think a row of karate-chopped pillows look ridiculous – I simply can not take the room seriously, no matter how lovely the rest is. All I see is that row of ears lol

• Christina O 18.08.2013 at 04:55

Totally a bimbo chopper. I have no idea why, but the chop makes me cringe, it always has. Just cant stand it.

• Jamie 19.08.2013 at 09:16

HATE the chop…. it just changes the pillow from, well, a pillow! I always picture horns on the pillow when it is chopped- haha! It just takes away the cutesness from the pillow itself!

• the cape on the corner 19.08.2013 at 10:37

that first pillow has major pillow toe. never a good look.

• julie 27.07.2014 at 14:48

HA!!!! Pillow-Toe!! love it!

• Karen 28.04.2015 at 23:42

Whats the reason you chop the pillow ?
    just wondering
    if me i just stuffing it