Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter Tutorial

Remember how I just took another week of?  I get the blogger of the summer award.  The good news?  Summer is just about over,  and then I will be back and handing the award off to someone else.

I have a really simple project to share with you today.  So simple in fact that your kids could help you do this!  It is a concrete and glass succulent planter,  and it looks about 1000x more expensive than it really is.

Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter vintagerevivals

The best part is how unique each planter is.  Start with varying glass containers.  My fave place to buy them is Homegoods,  they always have lots of different options and most will be under $5.

Mix a batch of Quickcrete together.  I like using the kind that comes in a bucket.  Its a much more manageable amount and you have something to mix it in!

Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter vintagerevivals.com-4-2

Scoop concrete into your glass container.

With your planter on a towel, gently but firmly hit the bottom of the container against a flat surface.  This will make your concrete settle.

Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter vintagerevivals.com-2-2

Wipe off all of the excess concrete with a wet sponge.

Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter vintagerevivals.com-3-2

If you are using a planter that you can fit your hand into you can make it so that the edges of your concrete are a little more jagged.

Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter vintagerevivals.com-6-2

I love when things are imperfect.  It makes me feel not so left out.

Scoop out the center so you have a place to plant your succulent

Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter vintagerevivals.com-10-2 Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter vintagerevivals.com-11

Let your planters cure for at least 36 hours before you plant them.

Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter vintagerevivals.com-8-2

Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter vintagerevivals.com-2

Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter vintagerevivals.com-5

Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter vintagerevivals.com

Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter vintagerevivals.com-6

The fantastic thing about succulents is that they are really hard to kill.  You know,  for those of us that are serial plant murderers.

Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter vintagerevivals

• Kristin@bliss-athome.com 07.08.2013 at 05:04

Those are cool! Love it! xo Kristin

• Mel Cable 07.08.2013 at 07:07

Just killed a succulent this summer, officially no green in my house because I kill everything, even succulents.

• Jess 07.08.2013 at 07:13

Dumb question, but why the concrete? To keep it less tippy, absorb the water?

• Jenn Leigh 07.08.2013 at 07:21

Serial Plant Murderers…lol, Love it! I'll have to try this in my office. It needs some life…until I kill it.

• Mandi @ Vintage Revivals 07.08.2013 at 07:44

Super good question Jess! Mostly because it looks cool.

• TwoThirtyFiveDesigns 07.08.2013 at 07:53

gurrrrrl, I mean….these are awesome. just awesome.

• Mekenzie @ interiorsbykenz.com 07.08.2013 at 08:12

I love this take on succulent-planting! It has an industrial feel to it, but a softness that comes with a plant. Genius mix of the two :)

• Unknown 07.08.2013 at 08:12

Concrete should be great to keep moisture…like shards of pottery do in undrained pots…and concrete in basements :-)
    Perfect for WE who forget to water!

Did you add soil according to aesthetics, or plant needs?

• Michael Wurm, Jr. 07.08.2013 at 08:16

What a fab idea Mandi! I'm in love.

• Ashley Hansen 07.08.2013 at 09:14

Do you still have to layer it with rocks and moss or did you just do dirt? I know some people even do sand. I don't know the perfect order for all of that! Help! haha.

• Saiwai Crafts 07.08.2013 at 09:44

LOVE these! Will have to make and "plant" a fake plant. cuz..well…I kill everything. Even the family chia pet. and a cactus. and a succulent..and and…yeah…

• CT@Living Analog 07.08.2013 at 10:03

Thanks for sharing another one of your amazing ideas. I love not only your creativity but that you are so generous with it. Cheers – CT

• Sarah Cioffi 07.08.2013 at 10:04

I love this!
    P.s. cant wait to see what become of the twirly-swirly headboards !

• Becca 07.08.2013 at 10:20

I LOVE the one with the wood below the cement!

-Becca
    Ladyface Blog

• Lindsey Allen 07.08.2013 at 11:15

It's actually very easy for me to kill succulents. I wish it wasn't!

• Melissa 07.08.2013 at 11:26

That's a cool idea!!!

• Mindy Schaper 07.08.2013 at 11:42

You have a great sense of humor. I bet you could make a cemetery tour hilarious.

• East Coast Creative 07.08.2013 at 12:14

This looks awesome Mandi! Gotta love a simple AND fabulous project! :)
    -Mon

• {Hi Sugarplum!} 07.08.2013 at 12:42

Such a great project…but I can't take my eyes off that table!!! details???

• lesspinningmoredoing 07.08.2013 at 17:49

I want that picture on the wall! LOVE it to pieces!

• Figure Amour 07.08.2013 at 19:30

I love that. So pretty. I love that the plant is growing through the concrete. I love controlled imperfection too, I think it makes things more interesting. How boring is the idea of perfection anyway?

• Succulent Centerpiece using Birch Logs & Twine! 13.01.2014 at 22:09

[…] succulents THIS WEEK from fellow blogging buddies (ALL who I got to hang out with last weekend… Mandi, Beckie, Brittany and Beth). Great minds think alike? You might as well create a Pinterest board […]

• lola 20.08.2014 at 19:21

sorry, but these are ugly…..simple dirt looks much better with succulents. :)

• Pinterest: What They Did With...SucculentsMade Peachy 04.09.2014 at 07:38

[…] 2 Concrete and Glass Succulent Planters ⇒ VintageRevivals […]

• DIY Succulent Garden | The Tina Times 11.01.2015 at 20:18

[…] Concrete and Glass Succulent Planter //Vintage Revivals […]

• Joyce Anderson 22.01.2015 at 14:40

Just a suggestion from how I form concrete molds that need a center for flowers/soil or other objects, and this makes it actually much easier and leaves an irregular edge as you suggested. Find a cylinder object taller than the planter filling with concrete, such as a; vase, tube, tall cocktail glass, toilet paper or paper towel cardboard rolls, pringles can, shampoo bottle, etc.

Place your choice of cylinder object in the planter 1st, then pour the concrete around it, or, fill the planter with concrete 1st and then press the cylinder object directly down into the concrete, squishing the concrete from the bottom up the sides of the planter, creating a perfect hole while creating an uneven edge.

Thinking out of the box, why not separate the concrete into 2 or 3 uneven amounts and color each differently, depending on the color and/or choice of plant. Layer the colors, press the cylinder object into the colored layers, and in doing so, the combo of the colored concrete layers and squishing each colored layer upward will create a mesh of the colors and swirled art. Another idea would be to use a toothpick, skewer, pencil or knife, and run it along the inside of the planter wall and concrete, pushing downward. This leaves more of an uneven, freehand and swirly mesh of the colored layers. Which is pretty cool.

Believe it or not, brown or green moss would sustain itself on top of the concrete, adding more color.