The Rug That Couldn’t.

Earlier this summer (while I was shopping like a mad woman trying to get things ready for the Hoard Sale) I stumbled across this AWESOME rug.   Being the first one at the sale that morning,  no one else had had the chance to scoop it up.

I bought it for $150 and happily stored it in my garage until a few weeks ago.  Before the wicker headboard took the fate of my bedroom design in its swirly hands, this rug is what I was planning on being the jumping off point.

I moved it in and put it under my Craigslist couch (read about that here) and was instantly disappointed.  It was just SO big.  You don’t realize when it is sitting in a driveway the actual size in the context of your house.  Its like when you are starving and order extra food,  you think you are going to eat it all, and you have every intention.  But then 1/2 way in you realize that its just not going to happen.  Now I am hungry.

Rug

I hate when size doesn’t translate in pictures.  Ok picture this.  The couch is just over 7 feet long and the rug is 10×8.5.  It took up the ENTIRE area between the bottom of my bed and the couch and it was just visually overwhelming.

I think that is why it wasn’t my jumping off point.  It is a BEAUTIFUL rug (that already has found a home at my Mother In Law’s) but it just wasn’t right for this spot.

But man, that is a good rug.

• Cjko 08.07.2013 at 09:02

You are so good at parting with items that don't work for you. I tend to just keep holding on to them. What a deal for that large of a rug though! Do we get to see the headboard soon?

• Rita@thissortaoldlife 08.07.2013 at 10:22

I feel your pain, Mandi. I've felt it more often than I care to remember! So hard to pass on a great find!

• Becca 08.07.2013 at 10:44

I hate when stuff like that happens! I once bought a pair of chairs at a garage sale not realizing that they were verging on oversized, then brought them home to find that they dwarfed my living room. I'm glad to hear your rug found a happy home in the end!

-Becca
    Ladyface Blog

• alison mellin 08.07.2013 at 10:56

That is such a great rug!
    I am a new reader and I enjoy your narrative so much! You always have me laughing.
    Great couch too! I wish people in our area had awesome things for me to nab on Craigslist.

-Ali
    whenlifegivesyoumellins.blogspot.com

• Bethany Glover 08.07.2013 at 12:17

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Tiffany Hevel 08.07.2013 at 12:29

That rug is beautiful! And a steal for $150! Glad it found a good home. And at least you still have visitation rights.

• Mrs. DeVore 08.07.2013 at 12:53

That's too bad that it didn't work out, I love that rug! At least it found a good home :)

• Lynda Hamilton 08.07.2013 at 13:22

i hate when that happens! but it really is a beautiful rug! shucks! looking forward to finally meeting you at Haven~!!!!

• Jina 08.07.2013 at 13:33

I kept reading until the end to see if maybe you secretly wanted me (a new reader) to have that killer rug! I would have selflessly taken it off your hands. I'm just that kind of girl.

• Gwen, The Makerista 08.07.2013 at 13:34

i just brought home a lamp to replace another lamp that was too big for the space it was in. this lamp is too small (wah wah). i hear ya, lady!

• jackie jade 08.07.2013 at 18:57

that IS a good rug. too bad it didn't work in your space – but I love it too!
    — jackie @ jade and oak

• marsha cannon 09.07.2013 at 04:48

There is a great looking glass topped console in my garage right now…guess I am going to send it to my sister in law after reading this! I just kept thinking it would be wonderful someplace in my house, not!

• Julia Konya 09.07.2013 at 06:21

Bummer! I'm still trying to make it work in my head LOL!

• Homefire 09.07.2013 at 09:43

I must have no taste but I thought it looked good in your livingroom! Anyway as one reader pointed out, at least you have visitation rights!!

• Kae 09.07.2013 at 11:43

Oh. My. Good Golly.
    (I normally don't talk with much words, so this is serious, yo.)
    Behold my dream rug.
    Never have I ever seen something I wanted more than this rug. Where did you stumble upon that beaut?!
    I have no doubt that you'll find something amazing to do with it, but I wouldn't be opposed if that awesome thing was a giveaway. And the winner was me.

Just sayin'

Thanks for the inspiration I get every time I come to Vintage Revivals! You're awesome Mandi!

• Charlotte Stevens 09.07.2013 at 12:04

I completely love it, I want to read a book in your room. looks perfect to me haha

charlotte x