DIY Corkboard Wall Mural Bulldog Style

Do you know what is good about having a giant dog face on the wall?  It doesn’t have horrific gas like the little puppy sitting on my lap.  Do you know what else is good about a giant dog face on the wall?  It makes your 4 year old say “MOM!  Is this REALLY my room?!” when she sees it.

DIY Children's Corkboard Mural Tutorial

This project is VERY simple and a little time consuming. I probably spent 4 hours on it.  But it was worth every single second.

If you have watched Dylan’s Dream Room video than you know she mentioned that she wanted puppies in it approximately 98,013 times.  The girl LOVES animals.   So the idea of a giant puppy head was born.  When I decided to put her little art desk underneath, my mind went to where she would hang all of her paintings as they were drying.  From there the corkboard idea was born.  Gigantor puppy head + corkboard = SUPER fun project.

First things first, get your base paint up on the wall.  I used Pink Moment from Sherwin Williams.  Its a great bubble gum pink that is a touch more orange than blue.  (Basically its a warm bubble gum.)

Pink Girls Room

Next its time to pick your image.  Here is the secret.  You want something that has clean lines, and the best thing to use for this type of image is wait for it…..pumpkin carving stencils.  Just Google search ___________________ pumpkin stencil.  I searched English Bulldog Pumpkin Stencil and this is the image that I chose:

58364162_1d295cc0db_z

Notice how there are 3 colors.  This is a good thing.  You wouldn’t believe the difference that another color makes.  So see if you can find one that has 3.

Print out your stencil onto an overhead projector transparency (if you are old skool like me) or use those new fangled computer projectors to project it against the wall.

English Bulldog Wall Mural

(For some reason my printer only printed the darkest area, which was fine,  I will show you how to fix that in just a second.)

To rock the corkboard buy a few (I used 4) rolls of cork at Joann’s (they have MUCH better prices than Staples and you can use a coupon!)

Start by pinning your corkboard into place with push pins.  It needs to be secure but you are just holding it in place so you can cut it out,  its not a permanent job.  From here you have 2 options.  You can trace your pattern onto the cork with a marker or pen (like I did in the picture below) or you can just cut along the shape with an exacto knife (which I did from this point forward)  totally up to you.

DSC_0385

To attach the corkboard to the wall I tried a few different things.  Originally I thought spray adhesive would work, but it was no where near strong enough.  So then I tried Wallpaper Glue, and that was even worse.  So I turned to my smart friend Google.  Apparently the only way to attach cork to something is to use some majorly heavy duty adhesive.  I would much rather fill 1000 holes than scrape and retexture a wall.  So I used small copper wire nails.  (EXACTLY like the ones I used in my DIY String Art) I nailed them every inch and 1/2 or so around the outer edge of the cork.   The plan with the copper was for it to look cute, not match the cork but they blend in REALLY well, so if you are wanting to hide them go with the copper.

DIY Corkboard

Once the cork was on I traced the area that didn’t print (the white part) and hand painted it on.  The good news is that you really cant screw it up too badly.  Just do your best to stay in the lines.

Bulldog Mural

Little Girls Creative Bedroom @ Vintage Revivals

Imaginative Girls Bedroom @vintage revivals

Can you imagine the possibilities with this?!  Good riddance horribly ugly giant vinyl stickers.

DIY Children's Corkboard Mural Tutorial

Make sure to check out the rest of Dylan’s Dream Room series below!

• Julia Konya 01.05.2013 at 10:58

Coolest idea ever. And I know I mentioned before that my Lilly wants this room now too 😉

• Hannah F 01.05.2013 at 12:31

This is soo kool!!! It has me thinking of other images like a foo dog or an ikat print

• Mandy 01.05.2013 at 13:35

I really love this, and the possibilities!

A note on puppy gas: we went grain-fee and it stopped the problem altogether. Blue Buffalo makes a bunch of options – they’re expensive, but when your house no longer smells of sulfur and rotten eggs, you’re glad to pay the price!

• Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick 01.05.2013 at 13:38

SO cool Mandi! I didn’t even realize this was cork! (Duh.) Love it!

• Alicia @ The Creative Vault 01.05.2013 at 14:14

If you can’t find a google image like this you can take a photo and upload it to picmonkey.com and then edit using the “posterize” button. I did this with pictures of my kids.

Love the doggie wall!!

• sarah m. dorsey 01.05.2013 at 14:23

Amazing! I love that it is fairly simple and low cost but has such a BIG impact!! This could be great in so many spaces!

• Glenda 01.05.2013 at 16:09

Genius! Great idea and perfect execution. Well done. PS: we have a pug, and it is best to not feed the dog human food and buy a more expensive dog food. We have done well with Science diet (sign up for a Petco card and they mail you coupons.)

• CanvasPics {Interior HeART still life} 01.05.2013 at 16:27

I have to stop reading your blog till we find a new house! I already have the urge to decorate/revamp and your blog makes me crazy anxious…love the dog, it’d be a huge hit at my house too (the next one…ugh, see?). Tara

• Shannon 01.05.2013 at 16:52

This is awesome! I LOVE IT! Fingers crossed I stumble upon a projector at a thirft shop!

• Chaney @ May Richer Fuller Be 01.05.2013 at 17:43

Amazing!! You are SO unbelievably creative…pumpkin carving stencils?! Who would’ve thought. Oh wait – YOU! Great job Mandi!

• eileenlikestoeat 01.05.2013 at 18:21

What an cleaver and awesome idea!! I seriously LOVE it. I am not a child but I want a giant cork board puppy on my wall now. I don’t have a projector, but now I think I need to get one.

• Amy 01.05.2013 at 18:33

I completely missed that this was cork before. It looks great in pictures, but I’m sure the dimension it adds to the wall looks even better in person.

• Hook, Line and Sink Her 01.05.2013 at 21:15

This is absolutely incredible- and so simple with the projector! I’m thinking a huge dinosaur corkboard is definitely the way to go (not for my future children- for ME.) xx

• Stephanie McDonnell 01.05.2013 at 21:30

That is great. What a fun idea.

• Nutbird 01.05.2013 at 21:40

How about a video with Dylan on How she likes her new room and what are her favorite parts? Please….Let her tell us about the colors, and what are her favorites. Great room, Great mom. Ann

• Elba Valverde 02.05.2013 at 01:25

Wow Mandy! This is super awesome!!
    I want my dog’s face on my office, it would be so cute.
    Thanks for sharing. I’m a new fan of your blog, I love your ideas.
    xo. Elba
    live colorful

• Jilly 02.05.2013 at 04:54

Hi BFF!!! Remember when we were on TV together? hahahaha! Anyhow, just when I think you can’t get any more brilliant, you go ahead and do something like THIS! It’s beyond incredible, and this room is my favorite yet!
    xoxoxoxoxox,
    jilly

• Mindy 02.05.2013 at 14:30

I needed to know how to do this from the second I saw the room reveal. My son’s room needs a focal point. I’m bad with photoshop, so the pumpkin stencil is perfection. You. Are. The. Bomb. Dot. Com.

• Julia M Kepler 02.05.2013 at 20:54

Love this….such a great idea!!!

• Mindy Schaper 05.05.2013 at 14:46

Great. So creative.

• Laurel Stephens 21.06.2013 at 23:23

I think your mural is adorable, and I featured it on Friday Finds today. Thanks!

• Wall art project! | Blissful Bitz 03.01.2014 at 18:34

[…] 8. Corkboard mural: Very simple and a nice idea above a desk. Tutorial here. […]

• Nic 16.03.2014 at 15:41

Any idea on where I might be able to rent an overhead projector, cheap? or even buy one, again cheap being the key. I’ve looked around and renting the computer projectors is pretty expensive but you would think someone would be looking to get rid of the old overhead projectors….

• WEEK…S IN REVIEW 06.09.2014 at 01:50

[…] A Cup of Jo | Three Ways to Arrange Flowers RELEVANT | Why don’t Christians Play Nice? Vintage Revivals | DIY Corkboard Murals Poppytalk | Let’s go Camping! Hello Fashion | Sequin Crush (give me […]

• Always A Bridesmaid… - Vintage Revivals 08.06.2015 at 18:56

[…] Bulldog Corkboard Mural […]

• Vintage Revivals | DIY Copper Pipe Wall Coat Rack Tutorial 29.07.2015 at 15:53

[…] problem that I was running into while I was putting the finishing touches on her bulldog cork mural wall was a phenomenon that I have never experienced […]