Swig Sugar Cookie Recipe (LITERALLY The Best Cookie Known To Man!!)

In my almost 3 years of blogging I have never posted a recipe (mostly because I don’t cook and use spatulas for stirring paint.)  But I just have to share this recipe with you.   I want you to know that now that I am sharing this recipe it was after months of research and about 10 extra lbs. and 15 different recipes.  And literally this is the only one that I deem important enough to share.  So please relish this moment because its never going to happen again.

The World's Best Sugar Cookie Recipe EVER!!

There is a little shed in St. George called Swig.  If you are ever in town it is a MUST stop.  It is located on 1000 East just off of St. George blvd. (Order a cookie and a Dirty Dr. Pepper.)  They sell drinks and baked deliciousness.  There is always at least an 8 car wait, and everyone gets a sugar cookie.  Everyone.

Update:  There are now 2 locations!  Who knew heaven could be in 2 places at once!!??  The second location just opened up at 287 West St George Blvd.

Swig cookies are my daughters favorite treats/rewards/bribes (and mine).  Anyone who tastes a Swig Sugar Cookie will never be the same.  They are literally life changing.

Now I am no Gail Simmons, but I am going to try my best to describe these bits of heaven to you.  The cookie itself is crunchy and crumbly and buttery (sort of like shortbread) on the rough edges, while the center is soft and chewy.  The frosting isn’t too sweet and the combo is well, the best cookie ever.  The cookies need to be served cold with the frosting at room temperature to get the full Swig experience.

After a super long time of searching and trying out recipe after recipe that was supposed to be THE BEST SUGAR COOKIE EVER I was coming up empty handed.  Until this weekend.  I found the recipe.  You MUST try these cookies, there is no if ands or buts (or butts) about it.

And I have never written a recipe tutorial…so sorry if this is awkward for everyone involved.

Please please do not copy this recipe and post it anywhere else online.  If you love it as much as I do, and feel the need to share it with the world please respect my original content and just link to this post.  Thanks!! xo

Swig Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:

1 C Butter (room temperature)

3/4 C Vegetable Oil

1 1/4 C Sugar

3/4 C Powdered Sugar

2 T Water

2 Eggs

1/2 t Baking Soda

1/2 t Cream of Tarter

1 t Salt

5 1/2 C Flour

Cream together Butter, Vegetable Oil, Sugars, Water, and Eggs.

Amazing Sugar Cookie Recipe

Combine dry ingredients and slowly add to butter mixture.

The World's Best Sugar Cookies EVER!!-3-2

Mix until everything is combined.  Your dough should be a little crumbly and not sticky at all.

The World's Best Sugar Cookies EVER!!-5-2

Roll a golf ball sized ball of dough and place it on your cookie sheet

The World's Best Sugar Cookies EVER!!-6-2

Now its time to give these babies their signature rough edge.  Put 1/4 c of sugar and a pinch of salt in a dish (this is in addition to the sugar and salt listed above.)  Stick the bottom of a glass in it.  This is going to be your cookie press.

Sugar Cookie Recipe

Firmly press it into the center of your dough ball.  You want your dough to spill out over the sides of the glass.  If there is a lip its even better.

Swig Sugar Cookie Recipe

Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.  They should just barely be browning on the bottom.    Move cookies to a cooling rack.  Once they are cool put them in the fridge.

The World's Best Sugar Cookies EVER!!-13

Sour Cream Frosting

1/2 cup room temperature butter

3/4 C Sour Cream

Approx 1 2lb Package of Powdered Sugar (I never use the whole thing but love having extra on hand just incase I add to much milk!)

1 t salt

1/4 C Milk

Red Food Coloring

Start by creaming together butter and sour cream and salt.  Slowly add powdered sugar.  When it gets so thick its not frosting like add a splash of milk.  Alternate this process until your frosting is the desired consistency.  Add 1 drop of red food coloring and whip on high for 1 minute.

Keep cookies in a sealed container until they are ready to serve.  The magic of a Swig Sugar Cookie is that the cookies are cold and the frosting is room temperature.  Frost right before serving (if you make them in advance and need to refrigerate the frosting make sure you give it time to warm up before serving)

The World's Best Sugar Cookies EVER!!-1

The World's Best Sugar Cookie Recipe EVER!!

You would be crazy to not pin this for later (or for right now if you are uber motivated.)

Happy baking!  (And in the spirit of full disclosure, I dont know if this is the actual Swig recipe, it was adapted from a combination of recipes including this one. )

Oh, and that hot pink straw in my pictures is actually a color pencil.

• ashley 19.03.2013 at 15:45

Question regarding frosting: when you say cube of butter, do you mean a stick?

• Jenni 19.03.2013 at 16:04

yes, cube and stick are usually interchangable butter lingo!

• Chels McIntosh 14.07.2015 at 01:07

Hi
        So does the C in the 1 C of butter stand for a cube, meaning 1/2 a stick? I’ve read it as 1 cup and have been using two sticks of butter (mine come as 1/2 cup) the past three times I made this recipe.

• Mandi 14.07.2015 at 04:56

Yes C is Cup not cube

• sue 01.01.2014 at 00:14

A “cube” means 1/2 cup OR 1/4 pound. In the US that also means one cube or stick, but not all butters are packaged in 1/4 lb. sticks. Some butter comes as a hole piece weighing either 1/2 or 1 lb, especially European and other imported butters.

• cAroline 02.02.2014 at 15:56

Thanks for the recipe…. by the way…there r 3 locations now for Swig. The 3rd is in Hurricane. Someone also said that they have one up north too!

• Riley 23.07.2014 at 02:38

There’s also one in Provo!

• Allison 14.11.2014 at 22:44

We have one in Payson now too!! Right up next to Payson Jr High and Payson High School. It was the Hogi Yogi that went out of business.

• Allison 16.11.2014 at 05:45

I was wrong about the location in Payson. Doh’.. It’s a Sip’in. Wish it was a Swig though. haha… Sorry guys!

• Danielle 19.03.2013 at 16:01

1 two pound bag of powder sugar for the frosting? Or what size package?
    These cookies look soooo yummy! Can’t wait to try them!

• Amber Sargent 19.03.2013 at 16:45

Yum Thanks Mandi! You had me fooled you were some food blogger with this beautiful delicious post. Yum. Swig is a must visit every time I come to town. Thanks cute girl!

• Stephenie Daily 19.03.2013 at 16:56

These look and sound amazing – and I’m not even a fan of sugar cookies (chocolate chip girl here!) but I will definetly give these a try!

• kamcicle 19.03.2013 at 17:04

i can’t believe i never knew they sold cookies….i just went there for the frosty beverages! and the delicious ice. mmmm…they really need a swig up here in the slc.

• Stephanie Fisher 15.07.2015 at 02:23

There actually is a Swig (and Sweets) in Draper…12300 South…and just west of 700 East.

• Momma Jones 19.03.2013 at 17:06

Did you use a box or bag of powdered sugar? Can’t wait to make these!

• Sierra Archibald 19.03.2013 at 17:12

AH-mazing!!! I’ve been longing for this recipe since I first tried to the cookie at Swig! I’m totally making these today :) Thank you soo much!

• susie 20.07.2015 at 15:14

2 pounds of powdered sugar. Doesn’t matter if it comes in a box or a bag!

• Holly 19.03.2013 at 17:19

…and now I want to go to Swig. Too bad it’s 4 hours away from my house!

• Molly 16.09.2013 at 22:59

Not sure where you live, but I heard they just built (or are building?) 2 new ones in the Salt Lake area! :)

• themlbb.com 19.03.2013 at 17:22

Yikes! I may be in trouble with this recipe! The cookies from Swig are my favorite :) Thanks Mandi!

-Julie
    My Lil’ Budget Blog

• Colette 19.03.2013 at 17:28

i need to know where the shed is so i can try it out next time i come to town.

• Jo 20.03.2013 at 04:07

Just off 1000 E and Tabernacle. Just above the College….

• ludooles 19.03.2013 at 17:34

I always check out this website for healthy and tasty recipe’s – http://www.excellentprotein.com – My favourite is the sugar free chocolate pudding because it just tastes amazing

• Lesa Pollock 19.03.2013 at 17:39

Where is Swig? We travel that way often and now I’m dying to try their cookies.

• eMiLy 19.03.2013 at 19:01

That’s hilarious! You mentioned Swig sugar cookies last week and I had to try them and I had to try them right THEN! So doing a little google search led me to that same recipe. I totally made them for my daughters St. Paddy’s bday party and they were delish! Like my new fav! I almost made them with sour cream frosting as well but shockingly didn’t have sour cream so did a cream cheese one instead. So soooo yummy! I didn’t know the cold secret. I’ll have to try that next time. You explained it exactly how I thought they were…kindof like shortbread (and shortbread is my FAV!) I have a condo in St. George and I’m going next week so I’m super excited to hit up Swig and try the real deal so I can compare. Thanks for helping me find the cookie I never knew I was looking for 😉

• Belchamber4 19.03.2013 at 19:40

My muffintop thanks you :)

• Marti 19.03.2013 at 20:18

Thank you! I pinned your recipe for a time when Hubby and I aren’t trying to diet. Like maybe next week. lol

• AviLynn 20.03.2013 at 00:39

St George has never been on my radar until I started reading this blog. Now I feel like I need to visit one day!

• Chanelle 20.03.2013 at 01:03

Oh. my. gosh. Thank you so so so so much for posting this. I love you! I tried one of these when I was home over Christmas and you’re right, I wasn’t the same. For months afterwards I was craving one of these (I’m pregnant too, by the way). Any way, I’m embarrassing myself by how much I’m ranting. THANK YOU!!!!

• jwheels7 20.03.2013 at 01:10

Yum!! Making these! I’m not familiar with sour cream frosting. Do these need to be refrigerated since the frosting contains sour cream?

• Jamiecrafts 20.03.2013 at 01:50

I’m hooked on dirty dr pepper :). I wll b trying this recipe too. Thanks a bunch :)

• Caroline 20.03.2013 at 02:08

Stolen recipe from Dutchmans!

• Melissa 09.12.2014 at 15:11

Yes! The Swig very slightly altered the recipe so they wouldn’t have to pay Dutchman’s anymore. But I learned that Dutchman’s has started supplying a new similarly styled sweets shop in American Fork called The Slurp.

• alisha 20.03.2013 at 02:40

hahaha, the straw is really a colored pencil!! Too good!!!!

• jamie @ [kreyv] 20.03.2013 at 03:06

Pinned to my “Diet Starts Tomorrow Board!” You totally had me fooled into thinking you were a food blogger, until the colored pencil bit. That was just plain resourceful, you genius, you! 😉

• McKenzie @ Girl Loves Glam 20.03.2013 at 03:10

Ah! Swig! I am craving a Dirty Dr. Pepper now! I am SO making these cookies!

• Brooke @ www.allthingsthrifty.com 20.03.2013 at 04:29

HA HA A colored pencil! You are a genius. Love ya!

• Amber Feller 20.03.2013 at 04:42

OOOHHHHH!!! I’m totally going to have to make these! They look super yummy!

• Emily 20.03.2013 at 05:10

I can’t wait to try these! MMM….

• Courtney 20.03.2013 at 06:47

It’s 11:45 pm I’m in bed, my husband asleep beside me and I just laughed loudly out loud at the pink color pencil. :) Thank you for the late night belly laugh!!

• Some Lucky Dog 20.03.2013 at 06:51

Swig is now on my hit list for our next visit to St. George. We come quite often to see a grandson. We’ll be taking him there for sure!

Cindy

• royaltysparkles 20.03.2013 at 14:02

Haha! I constantly use kitchen utensils for stirring paints and craft paint brushes for sauces in the kitchen! Thanks for the cookie recipe!

• marianne 20.03.2013 at 14:48

This is so exciting. I am a sugar cookie aholic. Thanks.

• The Nester 20.03.2013 at 18:44

I have no idea what Swig is and I am STILL leaving my house at 2:43 in the afternoon for no other reason than the ingredients for these! I simultaneously hate and love you!!

• Mindy 20.03.2013 at 19:01

Girrrrl, these sound ridiculous! Your photos are gorge. You should consider more recipe posts if for no other reasons than the photos and droolworthy description. Pinned :)

Mindy
    FindingSilverLinings.net

• Linda 20.03.2013 at 19:04

I just mixed up the dough to make for my church Young Women class tonight. I had to come back and make sure I copied/printed it right. Really? No vanilla or any other flavoring?? Can’t wait to taste these tonight!! Thanks so much for posting and tutoring!

• Katy @ Lolly Linens 20.03.2013 at 19:14

I can’t wait to make these! Thank you Mandi.

• Trias 20.03.2013 at 20:17

Is there really no vanilla in them??! :)

• Mandi @ Vintage Revivals 21.03.2013 at 09:34

You can put it in the frosting if you want, but we dont, if you do let me know how it turns out!

• Christine 21.07.2014 at 17:07

Left Utah 2 days ago to return to Washington State. I am already missing Swig. I went there almost every day for three weeks. I offer my unbelievably tight jeans as undeniable proof . Frequented the Lehi and Bountiful locations. Fell in LOVE with these cookies!!! I cannot wait to make them. Thank you for the recipe. Any chance you can find their peanut butter cookie recipe for me? I’ll send you a box of hot pink straws!
        Love, Swigless in Seattle

• StubbsFamily 22.03.2013 at 15:27

I know, the vanilla goes against everything I believe in. I made them and they were fine.

• Trias 17.04.2013 at 18:24

I did end up putting 2t vanilla in the cookies and thought they were great!! Thanks again for the recipe! :)

• Quigley Family 20.03.2013 at 20:22

Just pulled them out of the oven….HEAVEN is right! This might be the sugar cookie recipe I’ve been searching my whole life for. I think sugar cookies are a top 5 cookie, but I HATE rolling them out. This recipe was easy and I just scooped then smashed with a cup. EASY. I am going to freeze them and pull them our in 2 weeks for a shower and frost them before serving. Question though, I have a Costco size bag of powered sugar, what size is your bag? How much sugar? I don’t want to ruin these cookies by messing up the frosting.

• mj poracky 20.03.2013 at 20:31

I’m sure T= Tablespoon and t=teaspoon?? Just checking I plan on making these tomorrow. Thanks look YUMMY!

• Amber 20.03.2013 at 20:40

Just made these for my bunko group tonight. Thanks for the recipe they are AMAZING!!!! Now I guess I need to make a trip down to st. george to eat at Swig’s!

• Grandma Hatch 20.03.2013 at 21:07

Anything from St. George has to be the best!! That’s coming from someone born and raised there!! Can’t wait to try these!!!

• Moi ~ My family says I have no filter. I open my mouth and say stupid things, I've always been this way... 20.03.2013 at 22:22

Cold cookie, room temperature frosting??? Do I store cookies in the fridge unfrosted, and frost when I eat them, so I have a cold cookie and warm frosting? Sorry to be so dense, just don’t quite understand. They sound amazing, tho!!!!

• auggiedoggie 20.03.2013 at 23:12

Has any one tried making these cookies with gluten free flour?

• Mandi @ Vintage Revivals 21.03.2013 at 09:33

That is exactly what you do! Keep the cookies cold and give the frosting enough time out of the fridge to warm up before you frost them!

• jeri 21.03.2013 at 20:17

Shortbread turns out OK with GF flour so I bet you could make these work. They would be a little more crumbly maybe?

• Heidi@TheMerryMagpieVintage 20.03.2013 at 23:06

I’m wondering the same thing about how you get a cold cookie with room temp frosting unless you frost right before you eat? They look SO yummy!

What size package of powdered sugar? A box or a bag?

• sanguinetaurean 14.05.2013 at 20:52

I do believe Mandi stated to keep the cookies cold (as in refrigerated), then to apply the room temperature frosting just before serving.

A box of powdered sugar is the same as a bag of powdered sugar. Mandi states one 2 pound bag of sugar and that she doesn’t use it all. So that means you can buy two 1 pound bags or two 1 pound boxes or one 2 pound bag. Sometimes it will state 16 ounces which is the same as one pound.

• A L I C I A 21.03.2013 at 03:35

Uhmmm how about baking in the altitutte? I live in Colorado 10000ft =/
    Help!!! Should I add something to the recipe???
    Thanks for sharing!!!

• Mandi @ Vintage Revivals 21.03.2013 at 09:32

Hey Alicia!
      I have LITERALLY no idea (remember the spatula paint stirring disclaimer at the beginning?) Sorry I am not much help!

• Carrie 23.03.2013 at 18:14

I just made these at 7500 ft and they turned out just as in the picture with no adjustments. They are great!

• Brittani Kayley 13.07.2013 at 17:44

Hello Alicia! Hopefully you will see this! I live in Colorado as well. I have taken baking courses for college and usually, IF you need to add anything, it would be a small amount of flour :) But you may not need to with these.

• Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke Photography 21.03.2013 at 03:43

those do look pretty delicious!! way to bust out your food photography skilz!! i love that you fully disclosed your pink colored pencil;)

• jen 21.03.2013 at 03:50

Dang, I had high hopes. These should be called shortbread cookies. Too sugary but the frosting was great. I’m bummed.

• Mandi @ Vintage Revivals 21.03.2013 at 09:31

Hey Jen! You may have made them too thin or cooked them for too long! Thanks for the feedback though!

• Jeanette Chaston Swalberg 05.06.2013 at 17:05

Jen, you could omit the extra 1/4 cup of granulated sugar without messing up the cookie.

I just rechecked the recipe, and the reason they remind you of shortbread cookies is that the recipe doesn’t call for vanilla or almond flavoring. You could use 2 tsps. of either, or 1 tsp. of each. You could also use Lemon extract, which would be yummy with this frosting recipe.

Happy Cooking.

• amy twitty 21.03.2013 at 06:21

Swig is life changing!!! I am dying for them to get one up in Utah County. Thanks for sharing. Is 1 am to late to start baking some???

• dana 16.09.2013 at 04:11

They have a slurp in af. Its just as good

• E 02.11.2013 at 15:01

Sodalicious on 30 w 300 n in Provo just opened and has the cookies too!

• Kate 06.05.2014 at 21:12

There’s one in Provo now, on Canyon Rd across from Helaman Halls/Track!

• Heather 03.07.2014 at 23:47

They are building a Swig on 1600 N in Orem. Should be finished very soon.

• scatteredeverywhere 21.03.2013 at 15:46

How many cookies this this recipe make? Did I miss it somewhere?

• Britta 21.03.2013 at 17:10

Made these last night- me and the kids are scarfing on some more right now! I made mine a bit too thick but they were still good. I couldn’t figure out how to get the sugar to stick to the glass at first, but once I smooshed a cookie the glass was just sticky enough that it worked great. Thanks for the recipe!

• AlaskaBerninaGirl 21.03.2013 at 18:46

This is the same recipe my Gramma passed along years ago, so dependable! And thanks for the “butter lingo” I had a recipe turned down for a cookbook as I used cube as a measurement…was told that NOBODY would know what it meant! So glad somebody does :)

• Shannon 22.03.2013 at 05:13

Just made these from Pinterest. Literally 5 minutes after seeing the beautiful pics! Hubs and I ate them warm from the oven, but I am sticking them in the fridge to have frosted tomorrow (and I guess to share with my kids!) DELICIOUS!

Thank you!
    Shannon {HustleMama}

• Lisa Johnson 22.03.2013 at 17:20

So, can we ever expect the Swig Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe? Those are seriously good as well! Thanks for posting this. I pass Swig every day and it’s always to packed for me to get in. Can’t wait for it’s new place on the Blvd to open!

• Amy Goldstein 22.03.2013 at 19:56

GLUTEN FREE Variation: I made these substituting Pamela’s Artisan flour. I also went crazy and substituted 2 TBSP lemonade for the water AND lemonade for the milk in the frosting. Just a hint of lemon- AMAZING. The colder the cookie, the tastier.

• Amy at Casablanca 22.03.2013 at 20:51

Just made them – Yum! ***Everyone make sure you cook them on a dark cookie sheet like shown, I did my first dozen on a light cookie sheet and the bottoms wouldn’t brown up – even after 12 min! The dark cookie sheet turned out great with the recommended 8 minutes.

• mj poracky 22.03.2013 at 21:03

I just made these!! Didn’t frost yet but….OH MY GOSH delish!Thank you so much for sharing..perfect for our Daughters wedding shower~

• Lesley 22.03.2013 at 21:53

I am drooling over the great photos and anxious to try the recipe. I have a question though. What quantity is a stick or cube of butter? Here in Canada we have 1 lb bricks of butter or 2 lb tubs of margarine. Seems that would be too much. Can you give an equivalent measurement please?

• Kirstin 22.03.2013 at 22:39

A cube of butter is half a cup.

• Heidi Perez 22.03.2013 at 23:17

Hi Mandi! I just found your blog, and I kinda love it. 😀 And thank you for sharing yours and your husband’s story! I’ve experienced something similar.
    Anywho, I hope you don’t mind the do-you-know game, cuz here it goes!
    Any Gubler’s in Orem? (Donna & …I can’t remember her husband’s name…)
    Any Nemrow’s or Cooper’s in St. George?
    Any Stauffer’s or Everette’s in St. George?

And please tell me you’ve discovered Young House Love!? (And thanks for showing me Brooklyn to West!)

• Emily Nevill 22.03.2013 at 23:48

Just made up a batch of these and have to say that I’m a little disappointed. They were good, to be sure, but certainly did not live up to the hype. Also the frosting recipe made about twice as much as I had cookies to frost.

For real “change your life” cookies, try these: http://cookiesandcups.com/chewy-brown-sugar-cookies-with-brown-sugar-frosting/

• Katie Meltzer 23.03.2013 at 08:10

How many Cookies does this make?

• cindy 28.02.2015 at 22:15

4 dozen.

• Katie Meltzer 23.03.2013 at 12:21

I just baked these and was really excited because they looked and sounded great
    Mine turned out horrible though so I’m not to sure maby I was using the wrong brand of something.
    Cookies burnt at 8 mins so I turned oven down and put in for around 7
    The icing was an ultimate fail the first time iv ever made sour cream icing and a last
    It just didn’t work for me was really disappointed with the way mine turned out. Atleast my roommate likes them but just do much effort for mediocre cookies :(

• Martha 23.03.2013 at 20:41

Unbelievable! So yummy! I have never had anything like it before! Thank you for sharing!

• The Nester 24.03.2013 at 12:58

made ’em I’m not a fan of sugar cookies but my boys LOVE them, they were a huge hit, I’d still prefer chocolate chip but they were the best sugar cookie I’ve had ever–something about the cookie and icing flavor combo is what made it really good.

• AJE 24.03.2013 at 13:01

My grandmother made the best sugar cookies every year for Christmas
    and always let her 4 granddaughters decorate and frost them. We never
    got the exact recipe from her before she passed away. I have been trying
    for years to find it. I pinned your recipe from Pinterest and my husband
    said he would try to make them (he is the chef in our family.) He made them
    last night and These cookies are unbelievably delicious and
    are awesome!!!! They may even be better than my grandmothers. He didn’t have
    time to make the frosting so they are yummy just plain!! Also, I just read
    your story. Thank you so much for sharing it! You are an inspiration to
    a lot of people.

• Lynn Mohr 24.03.2013 at 16:54

hi, Mandi
    this comment is not related to these tasty-looking cookies. I enjoy your blog and wanted to let you know that I have what looks to be the companion “O” piece to the big black “X” used in various staging shots in your house. (Most recently I think it was on your living room shelves.)

The O is a light back metal, basically flat, and about 12″ tallo and 13″ wide. I’d be happy to send it to you if you’d like to had some “hugs” to your kisses. A small thank you for sharing your blog.

Thanks – Lynn M, St. Louis MO

• Brannon and Leslie 25.03.2013 at 20:59

So sad we don’t have a swig here in AZ. My niece works there and raves about it. Can’t wait to try these

• Matt 25.03.2013 at 21:03

They aren’t actually Swig cookies. Swig gets them from Dutchman Market everyday. Just giving credit where credit is due… Love that place

• Erica Tipton 25.03.2013 at 21:42

How many cookies does this recipe make??

• yoliver01 25.03.2013 at 23:25

I’m sure yours were great, but mine sucked. I tried this recipe and for 1 it was way too much dough and it did not taste that great at all. Will not be trying these again!

• Tara Ray 26.03.2013 at 00:50

Yummo! Thanks for sharing! I made them for FHE tonight and they were a HUGE hit :)

• Sister Walker 26.03.2013 at 04:17

Okay – I’m making these cookies soon! But what’s in a dirty dr pepper?

• Stephanie 05.04.2013 at 17:31

coconut syrup & dr pepper

• Stephanie 05.04.2013 at 17:31

coconut syrup & dr pepper

• Judy 09.04.2013 at 05:04

Torini Coconut syrup! I get mine from Cost Plus World Market!

• TsukiBear 26.03.2013 at 23:33

I work over at Swig and we had our cookie lady try these. They’re not quite right… Sorry! :( But please come on over and visit us any time!

• Jessica 27.03.2013 at 00:10

this post came at a great time, I’m visiting my mom in St. George and tried both the cookie and the dirty dr. pepper. I’d never think to add coconut to dr. pepper.

The cookies were really good and I’ll have to give your recipe a try! I was in DI the other day and wondered if I’d run into you!

• Gerri Kling 27.03.2013 at 03:37

O…M…G!!!! Mandi, Mandi, Mandi…I’m surprised you haven’t been arrested yet (I’m pretty sure these things should be illegal)! I love a good cookie, but this is ridiculously over the top. I made the cookies Monday, while I was home alone, then refrigerated them overnight. Today whipped up the frosting and iced them. Cold cookie, room temp icing. I’m still floating on cloud nine. Oh, and for the record, the cookies melt in your mouth all by themselves, without icing! (Yes, it’s true, I indulged before they were iced). Now I have a new favorite. The best part is how crazy easy they were. Thanks so much for sharing. This is now in my permanent recipe file where it has already been laminated to preserve it from smudges. The dough was a dream to work with, too. No gooey sticky mess. Love, love, love it! Not sure where St George is but will definitely be looking up the Swig if I every get to your neck of the woods!

• Julie 28.03.2013 at 02:31

since you use sour cream in the frosting, will it taste like sour cream or will it taste like regular frosting?

• everyday girls, everyday beauty. 28.03.2013 at 06:00

My coworker introduced me to the SWIG sugar cookie and I am obsessed with them. So imagine my happniess when she found a recipe. I don’t live near a SWIG so I am super stoked! Thanks

Ashley

• Michelle Swindler Jones 28.03.2013 at 23:13

I just made these and had some trouble. (i live at 0 altitude, too)
    First I had to add an extra CUP of flour to get them to break at the edges the way yours did in the pics, and I had to bake them four minutes longer before I saw the slightest bit of brown.
    The frosting would be better with half the salt or none at all–especially considering you’ve added extra salt already to the dough (compared to the original recipe), as well as salt mixed in the sugar that gets pressed on top. Overall, too much salt.
    I will probably not make them again, but my kids liked them.

• Emily H 30.03.2013 at 12:27

I made these, too!! They are really yummy! The cookie is a very nice taste and texture – not too sweet, but buttery and crispy sides. The frosting is interesting – it’s got a sweet, rich flavor and smooth, creamy texture. A good combo!

• Laura Dembowski 30.03.2013 at 15:21

I’m a sugar cookie junkie and these look incredible! Love the unique sour cream frosting too!

• Maggie 31.03.2013 at 22:06

Nice touch with the “straw”! Like I always say….”it’s all about the details”!

• Kelly 01.04.2013 at 14:52

Okay, so I made these cookies twice in the past week for two different events. And I love you to death, Mandi, but we didn’t think they were all that great. The cookie was good, the frosting no. You could really taste the sour cream in the frosting so it was a little bitter, a little sweet and that translated into weird – so next time I would definitely try cream cheese instead of the sour cream. Or I would probably just start searching for better frosting recipes as I don’t really enjoy powdered-sugar frostings.

The receipt definitely makes a good sugar cookie, but it’s still really “just” a sugar cookie. Nothing mind-blowing in my opinion.

• larsonsservhim 02.04.2013 at 18:43

How big is a gold size ball?

• KellyMc 05.04.2013 at 21:18

Just made these last night and they were AWESOME! Thanks for sharing the recipe – especially love the sour cream icing!! :)

• KellyMc 05.04.2013 at 21:18

Just made these last night and they are AWESOME! Thanks for sharing – especially LOVE the sour cream icing!! :)

• Plain Jame 06.04.2013 at 06:42

You want credit for Durchmans markets cookie recipe?

• Bonnie 07.04.2013 at 11:15

Not a Swig quality cookie. Nice try but not good.

• Kari @ Fresh Cut Quilts 07.04.2013 at 17:43

Okay the cookies sound good. But what in the world is a dirty Dr. Pepper?
    I may need to head to St. george just to find out……

• Jilly Bean Jewelry 08.04.2013 at 03:52

This is so crazy! This is the exact same recipe my mom has been using for years and I posted on my cooking blog because I’ve loved it since I was a little girl. She is from st. George so I wonder if that’s where she got it too. I totally agree that it’s the best recipe ever, I just never knew it was famous. I just always thought it was or family recipe. :)

• Judy 09.04.2013 at 05:02

Oh my goodness, how weird is this?? I went to St. George just four days ago from San Diego California. I hadn’t visited St. George for over 25 years! While I was there, I saw “SWIG” on the news and had to go try the Dirty Diet Mnt Dew and of course the sugar cookie. I had to go back again on the way to the airport for more! YUMMMMM!!! I can’t believe I came across your recipe in my Pinterest news feed! Its almost midnight, but since I have the recipe with such fantastic pictures, I HAVE to go make some right now! Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting!

• Birston Photographic Arts 10.04.2013 at 21:37

Looks amazing! In the recipe….2 T of water. T = Tablespoons (?)

• Birston Photographic Arts 10.04.2013 at 21:38

Love the photos! In your recipe: 2 T of water. T = Tablespoon (?) I know right?!?! Duh!

• 9aa027d6-a3c1-11e2-9c6b-000f20980440 12.04.2013 at 22:37

This looks great and I’m really curious about Swig. But I’ve got to say I’m a little surprised at this statement in the post:

“Please please do not copy this recipe and post it anywhere else online. If you love it as much as I do, and feel the need to share it with the world please respect my original content and just link to this post. Thanks!!”

You go on and on about this little place in St. George’s cookies… how wonderful, amazing and life-changing they are. Then you attempt to rip-off the Swig cookie and post the recipe, so that you and your pals can make them at home. Ok… I buy into that. There is very little originality out there. But doesn’t it seem hypocritical on your part to them ask people to respect your “original content” of Swig’s cookie… and instead and link to the post.

If you’re going to be so bold as to rip off Swig, who are you to demand that people respect your “originality” which is nothing more than an attempt at someone else’s cookie?

• stephanie croonies 27.05.2013 at 01:20

Please spend your time doing something more productive … your criticism brings others down and I am sure you have more positive than negative in you – so let it shine!

Imitation is the best form of flattery.

Swig just won more customers!

Keep going Mandi!

• Joni J 13.10.2014 at 02:19

What a nice polite way to say that, stephanie croonies. So many rude, snobby, impolite comments here! I thought the cookies were so good! Who cares where the recipe came from?

• Dave and Rebekah Westra 13.04.2013 at 16:53

This is a dream come true. These are the same cookies that they used to sell at the Sinclair station toward Santa Clara, right? I once distracted the manager so my friend could sneak into the back room to find the recipe. We were unsuccessful. You can’t know how excited we are. We’ve been trying to get this recipe for years.

• Ncole 20.09.2013 at 04:51

The cookies that they STILL sell in the gas station in Santa Clara are the ones that Swig bought and sold up until the flood in September, 2012. Swig also attempted to steal and copy the recipe from the Sinclair, but were unsuccessful. The cookies Swig sells now is a poor attempted re-creation of the original Dutchman’s sugar cookie. While this recipe may produce decent cookies, they are NOT anything close to what Dutchman’s makes and they are not anywhere close to as good.

• Kevin 05.01.2014 at 20:27

Thank you, Ncole! I love Mandi’s enthusiasm for a good cookie, I just wish that enthusiasm wasn’t directed towards the copy-cat. Lisa Frei at Dutchman’s/Cravings Bakery is the baker who deserves the praise.

• Mandi 05.01.2014 at 23:53

I completely agree with you Kevin! She deserves it all!

• Jamie Taylor 13.04.2013 at 21:29

Is there no vanilla or almond extract in either the cookie or the frosting?

• Sasha 14.04.2013 at 05:26

Is it one cube of butter for the dough or one cup of butter?

• Sasha 14.04.2013 at 05:27

Is it one cube of butter or one cup of butter for the dough?

• Stephanie 20.04.2013 at 21:56

Just wondering- what purpose does the oil do? Can you use more butter instead? My favorite part in making sugar cookies is the dough- but I did not like the oil taste in the dough- I did like how the cookies turned out though- and I did have to drive 4 hours to St George to compare cookies! And I thought they tasted very similar!!! thanks!

• Amy {The Idea Room} 02.05.2013 at 04:20

Just made these tonight my friend! Amazeballs! My family loves me! Thanks friend! xo

• elizabeth 04.05.2013 at 22:42

I live in Cedar City ( 50 miles north of St. George)and never heard of Swig. I will add it to my list next time I go to Target and Costco. Thanks for the receipe too.

• Lisa Carson 11.05.2013 at 00:15

This isnt even the recipe. I cant believe you would even do this. This is how people make a living. That is just rude

• sanguinetaurean 14.05.2013 at 20:59

What in the world are you talking about? Mandi said this is HER “knockoff” recipe of the Swig Cookie.

…People just don’t pay attention or listen anymore. What is this world coming to?!

• anne beamon 12.05.2013 at 23:46

I just tried this recipe; the oven is still hot from baking. I was eager to make them because the photos make them look so appealing. To my taste, the cookies themselves were bland…very disappointing. After the first batch I doctored up the rest of the dough with cinnamon, brown sugar and butter and baked them. My cookie fix came out pretty good.

• Diane X 13.05.2013 at 01:48

Really, y’all. A 2 lb BOX of powdered sugar is EXACTLY THE SAME as a 2 lb BAG of powdered sugar. It doesn’t matter which one you use. O_o

• Diane X 13.05.2013 at 01:50

• JenwithFlash 26.05.2013 at 03:44

Thanks for posting this recipe!! I have been looking for it a very long time!! I can’t wait to make these again!

• tangie 04.06.2013 at 14:12

I’m not familiar with Swig at all, but always love a great sugar cookie, so I tried these, and they are my new fav!! Thanks so much for sharing! At first bite, they seriously reminded me of my grandma’s cookies… didn’t know you could replicate that!! YUM!! Just fantastic, old fashioned goodness :)

• Laryssa 01.08.2013 at 03:53

After a serious debate about an 8 hour drive to my nearest neighborhood Swig, I decide these cookies weren’t happening for me but oh how I couldn’t get them out of my head. I searched for this post again and just made my second batch. Delightful doesn’t begin to cover these babies!!! My lack of thigh gap thanks you kindly.

• brooklyn 23.09.2013 at 16:34

How many cookies does this make? thanks!

• Carly 05.10.2013 at 01:12

So does t stand for Tablespoon or Teaspoon? I’m only 13 so I have no clu

• Mandi 08.10.2013 at 14:36

Hey Carly!
        T stands for Tablespoon and t stands for teaspoon.

• 8 Pins that I recommend | Faking Picture Perfect 08.10.2013 at 20:18

[…] I’ve tried two. The first one was OK. Some sugar cookie bar recipe. But, the second one. The Swig Sugar Cookie Knockoff Recipe from Vintage Revivals. Ooooh. It was yummy. So much so that I had to eat one for every meal. After a few days of eating […]

• Mommy on Demand 11.10.2013 at 23:30

I have heard of Swig but we don’t get to St. George as often as we would like! But good new for me there are moving a location to SLC…..so excited!!

• Alina 19.10.2013 at 21:42

I am making these right now! I haven’t even put the frosting on, and my husband and sister-in-law have eaten several each! Can’t wait to try the finished product!

• Blogger Match Up & The Winner of the Ryobi Tool Giveaway Announced! 28.10.2013 at 02:51

[…] Kenz ~ Painted Faux Moulding & Headboard Twist Me Pretty ~ Pink Room Reveal Vintage Revivals ~ Swig Sugar Cookies East Coast Creative ~ Large Photo Frame Whatever Blog ~ Melted Crayon Artwork Domestic Imperfection […]

• Laurie 30.10.2013 at 15:57

Hi Mandi, I live in St. George, too! I’ve seen Swig but haven’t stopped before and since sugar cookies are my all time favorite cookie and with your endorsement I’m going to have to stop and try one..or two..or more! Can’t wait to try this cookie recipe!

• 5 Boys Baker Knockoff Swig Sugar Cookie - 5 Boys Baker 04.11.2013 at 06:08

[…] and posted anywhere else online and just linked back to her site. So out of respect to her, click here to get the […]

• Erin 09.11.2013 at 18:32

So, these are my FAV but I’m looking for a recipe to make snowflake cookies with for my kids’ birthday party. Have you ever tried rolling out/cutting this dough? Does it work as well as the round balls that get smashed down? THANKS in advance for any advice!

• Mandi 10.11.2013 at 16:43

I have never tried to cut them out! I dont know if the shape would be great, they puff a lot when you cook them. Check out the blog Bake at 350, Bridget has a really great recipe for sugar cookies that can be decorated!

mandi

• julisa monteclaro 20.11.2013 at 03:07

you were right this recipe is the bomb thank you so much for sharing I just make them with the help of my son he cannot stop eating the cookies he normally doesn’t like sweets ..but these cookies we’re perfect

• Shanice 24.11.2013 at 23:44

Great recipe! Just made them and frosted a few. I used my trusty stand-by powdered sugar frosting since I didn’t have sour cream on hand and they are YUMMY! I found it makes 4-5 dozen for those of you that are asking. I did not add the pinch of salt to the mashing (topping) sugar. I froze most of them to take to my Thanksgiving gathering and will frost them when I get there. I also baked mine for 9-10 minutes to get them just slightly golden brown on the bottom. I won’t be serving them cold :/ mostly because that’s too complicated for my situation. They are delicious at room temperature though! This is an EASY no-roll sugar cookie recipe I will be saving/giving out! Thank you!

• DeAnn H 25.11.2013 at 23:45

so excited to see this recipe online. I use to get cookies at swig all the time when I lived in St George. I love them especially this sugar cookies. The great thing is I was there when they actually opened up swag it was such a hit. Live in Dallas now and sure miss this week sugar cookies

• Jessica Crete 29.11.2013 at 19:39

I love these. I halfed the recipe exactly to try it. I added 1/2tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp of almond extract as sugar cookies for me must contain these two extracts and they were divine. Very good. My new go to gourmet sugar cookie recipe! Thanks a million!

• Friday Favorites (A Day Late!) » Run To Radiance 01.12.2013 at 18:22

[…] These super yummy looking cookies from Vintage Revivals.  (How am I just now finding out about her blog???) They look ahhhmazing.  And I got to learn about “dirty dr pepper” which means they added coconut. YUM.  That will be my next Sonic drink for sure! […]

• Bernadette Morris 03.12.2013 at 18:31

Thanks for your research! deeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious.

• deb 04.12.2013 at 22:56

made your cookies today…turned out super delish…used a small melon ball scoop to form them …and a small mason jar to flatten…cooked them for 9 min…a ‘keeper’ for sure!!..thanks so much…merry christmas!

• Janie 06.12.2013 at 02:36

Wow who knew a cookie recipe could instigate so many questions and the uglier side of some people! lol I commend you for all the work in trying to duplicate a great cookie. Some say it’s the finest compliment to copy or duplicate something…so take a chill people. I am making these at my friends house tomorrow. I wanted an easier sugar cookie with not much decorating and no cutting out. Thanks bunches for a great post!!

• jerusha 11.12.2013 at 00:45

I just need to know, where exactky did you ‘find’ this recicpe? From Swig itself?

• Jessica 25.08.2014 at 12:52

She said it’s a combination of multiple recipes she found

• lina 11.12.2013 at 01:53

Are these a crisp cookie or soft cookie? My kids are picky about crisp cookie.

• What's for Dinner {December 12, 2013} | The gift of not giving a thing 13.12.2013 at 02:15

[…] Tuesday I made a recipe I’ve had kicking around in my head for a while, Pierogi Stuffed shells, it turned out great and I  will post it soon. I also made some fabulous Knockoff Swig cookies. […]

• Melissa Wohlers 13.12.2013 at 03:07

This recipe has been around for a million years as melt in your mouth sugar cookies

• Michelle 15.12.2013 at 00:26

Just made these, and they are so worth the time and effort.

• Lisa 16.12.2013 at 18:15

These cookies look so good! Can you freeze them?

• My Christmas Cookie Escapades | jcooksglutenfree 18.12.2013 at 04:34

[…] holidays, so I was googling like a madwoman to find a decent sugar cookie recipe. I stumbled across this one – which is not gluten free – and thought I would try my luck at adapting it cause […]

• Sugar cookies. | Kara Simmons. lifestyle/photography blog. 19.12.2013 at 06:18

[…] these amazing sugar cookies. Very very tasty. I had to have the recipe! Turns out it was the Swig sugar cookie recipe. I decided to give it a try last week.  Now you see, I’m not the greatest baker.  I […]

• sarah 21.12.2013 at 03:20

Does “1 C Butter (room temperature)” mean 1 cup of butter?

• Sweet Saturday: Christmas Sugar Cookies / Adventures of a Jayhawk Mommy 21.12.2013 at 22:08

[…] used a recipe I found recently on Pinterest for Knockoff Swig Sugar Cookies. I’ve never heard of Swig’s, a drive-thru drink shop in St. George, UT. My friend who […]

• Aggie mama 28.12.2013 at 22:34

I’ve never been to Swig’s but this is a new favorite for us. I substituted coconut oil for the vegetable oil and added a tsp of coconut extract, and it was divine! I know, you Swig’s purists may clutch your pearls ;), but it was a nice subtle twist. Thanks for sharing! :)

• Name Card Straws Tutorial + a Giveaway! | Pretty Providence 30.12.2013 at 13:00

[…] ^^By the way, if you are wondering about the recipe for these delicious cookies pictured above, here it is. Oh, and you’re welcome. Best sugar cookies […]

• Asenath 30.01.2014 at 03:33

Last tray in the oven. These are sooooo nummy! Soft, not too sweet, and perfect. Melts in my mouth. One son loves them without frosting, even.

Funny thing, I have three kids(teens) at home and always make 2 batches. I went to double the batch and realized I didn’t need to. One recipe made almost 60!

Thank you for sharing!

• tiffany 31.01.2014 at 19:53

Making these cookies for the 2nd time this weekend for the Superbowl- great recipe! The first time I made them, they seemed quite saturated with vegetable oil, however, they turned out great. Do you think you could use less than 3/4 cup?

• Kyle 01.02.2014 at 20:17

Just so you all know this is the same cookie you can get at Dutchmans Market in Santa Clara where swig originally got their cookies from when they started. So if you want to get the original you go to Dutchmans Market where the original family recipe was started and you don’t have to wait, plus you are supporting a local business that supports the community unlike the owners of swig.

• April smith 03.02.2014 at 22:45

I’m just wondering if anyone has tried chilling and rolling out the dough for shaped cookies? I need to make some heart shaped cookies soon and would try this recipe if it would work. If not I always use Mrs. Fields sugar cookie recipe.

• Coconut-Frosted Sugar Cookies with Strawberry Hearts | The Food Charlatan 04.02.2014 at 11:23

[…] adapted from Vintage Revivals. Frosting recipe adapted from my sister-in-law […]

• angela 04.02.2014 at 13:04

Looks lovely! Is it ok to cut the recipe in half? I was wondering if doing so would mess up the recipe. Love the sweet pink of the frosting. Thank you!

• Julie 05.02.2014 at 16:48

Just tried one straight from the oven. You may have just converted this sugar cookie hater. So good! I did add two teaspoons of vanilla to the wet ingredients. Perfect, thanks!

• Julie 05.02.2014 at 16:51

Angela, I cut in half and it turned out great.

• *I Only Have Eyes For You* Monster Valentines 06.02.2014 at 13:09

[…] cookies-want to make those to go with it? Use any sugar cookie recipe (I really recommend this one: Swig Sugar Cookies) and frost them in pink or any color you […]

• KIMT 08.02.2014 at 15:01

OMG…this is a recipe that I got years ago….in the first school I taught in.. I had the cafeteria ladies break down the recipe into a recipe for my family. My kids grew up on these. The frosting sounds wonderful and am going to try it on my next batch.

• france 14.02.2014 at 10:12

How many cookies will this make?

• Felicia 14.02.2014 at 13:44

The pin it button on the swig cookie recipe is giving me an error message. Just fyi.

• France 16.02.2014 at 23:01

Wondering how long will these cookies keep in the fridg?

• Spell It With Fabric | Designer Blog Hop | BasicGrey Blog 19.02.2014 at 12:01

[…] baby daughter’s room. Not only do I love the sampler, but I love Swigg sugar cookies! Click here for the recipe and when you make the cookies, add a teaspoon of almond extract to both the dough […]

• Tough Sailor Baby Shower Ideas | Paging Supermom 21.02.2014 at 22:20

[…] Sand Bars, Million Dollar bars (recipe below), and the most delicious sugar cookies made using Vintage Revival’s recipe only we swapped the frosting for lemon curd from Trader Joe’s — easier than making […]

• Ali 24.02.2014 at 19:36

These are ridiculous. I made these in eastern N. Carolina (no altitude) and they turned out great. I omitted the salt when pressing the cookies, as well as in the frosting. I also added 2 drops of coloring, so the cookies look really pink and girly. So good. Like, I made a plate of baked goods to give to a friend from church and included 3 of these cookies, but ended up only giving her 1 of these cookies, good.

• dAVE 26.02.2014 at 06:43

MEAH! These are not bad but I think you over stated how really Great they are. I suspect that if I visited Swig I would be tasting a much better cookie. I am from the East so it takes a lot to impress us folks.

• DIY photo backdrops | Her Tool Belt 26.02.2014 at 20:47

[…] are the most delicious sugar cookies ever.  They are the knock off Swig Cookie brought to us by Vintage Revivals.  These cookies are the new family […]

• Naddlles 28.02.2014 at 21:24

Just wondering how many cookies this makes? Can I split the recipe in half? Thanks :)

• Gretchen 01.03.2014 at 16:48

I can always tell when I’ve had a rough day at work, because my car automatically swings by Swig for one of these cookies. With eat bite of perfect cookie/frosting marriage, the therapeutic process works it’s magic, and by the time I get to Tuacahn Drive, I’m FINE!! :)

“Greater love hath no woman than she lays down the Swig sugar cookie recipe for mankind.”

• Gretchen 01.03.2014 at 16:58

*each

• 10 Recipes {Found on Pinterest} That I Now Cook Regularly | Perfection Pending 02.03.2014 at 07:04

[…] Swig Sugar Cookies @ Vintage Revivals […]

• Cloudy 05.03.2014 at 02:34

5 1/2 cups flour is a lot of flour. How many cookies does this make?

• 20 After School Snack Ideas - The Crafted Sparrow 27.03.2014 at 05:30

[…] Berry Cantaloupe Salad @ Damn Delicious Pepperoni Cheese Stick Roll-Ups @ The Girl Who Ate Everything Trail Mix Popcorn @ Party Tipz Chicken Club Quesadillas @ Six Sisters Stuff Chocolate Covered Banana Pops @ Domestic Fits Ham and Apple Skewers @ Navy Wife Cook Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Apple Dip @ Rachel Cooks Peach Fruit Leather @ Weelicious Apple Sandwiches @ Whole Foods Market Cucumber Bites with Garlic Herb Filling @ Annie’s Eats Apples with Dip & Toppings @ Party Tipz Cauliflower Pizza Bites @ Jo and Sue Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas @ Caramel Potatoes Grilled Cheese Rolls @ Recipe Sweet Celery Snack @ Paging Fun Mums Baked Cinnamon Apple Crisps @ Six Sisters Stuff Bakery Style XL Peanut Butter Cookies @ Crazy for Crust Swig Sugar Cookies Recipe @ Vintage Revivals […]

• Rose Prince 04.04.2014 at 06:13

This is the very same recipe I’ve had for many years, called Amish Cookies. But I’ve never had them with frosting. I just sprinkle them with colored sugar beore baking. THese are always a big hit at parties and I love the recipe because it makes A LOT! I’m going to try them with the sour cream frosting. Thanks!

• Rachel 08.04.2014 at 21:16

Hello, Rachel here from http://www.ibakeit.wordpress.com I made your cookies last week after I saw them on your friend’s site: http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2014/02/swig-sugar-cookies.html
    I’ve gotten nothing but RAVE reviews, smiles, dancing eyes, crumbs all over my floor – you know! Thanks for sharing your recipe and your story. Great read, greater cookies!

• iBake – Sugar Cookie Triumph | iBake 15.04.2014 at 01:42

[…] original recipe can be found at Vintage Revival, but for my cookies I added vanilla to both the cookie and the frosting recipe.  I also […]

• Recipes I can’t get enough of | Hough Family Blog 02.05.2014 at 18:48

[…] Swig Sugar Cookies […]

• Jen 04.05.2014 at 19:24

How many cookies does this make? (Or for how many people) thanks so much for the recipe!

• Jen 04.05.2014 at 19:25

How many servings (or cookies) does this make?

• Copycat “Swig” Sugar Cookies 11.05.2014 at 00:19

[…] industry on it’s head. There are already several copycat recipes out there. This recipe from Vintage Revivals is where I started, but made a few modifications of my own. I recently took my concoction up to a […]

• Swig Sugar Cookies - Eat, Think & Be Merry 21.05.2014 at 14:49

[…] was blog browsing a little while ago and saw a picture of a Swig sugar cookie copycat. It looked so delicious! I had to make it, even though I’d never tried a real Swig sugar […]

• Matching the DIY Project Winners | test 27.05.2014 at 22:15

[…] Vintage Revivals ~ Swig Sugar Cookies […]

• How To Make A Dirty Diet Coke & Other Soda Sensations! | One Good Thing by Jillee 04.06.2014 at 06:37

[…] and flavor shots. And sugar cookies! Oh the sugar cookies. Mandy at Vintage Revivals has a great copy cat recipe if you aren’t lucky enough to live near a Swig […]

• - A girl and a glue gun 15.06.2014 at 22:34

[…]   […]

• shout out sunday - A girl and a glue gun 21.06.2014 at 13:18

[…] vintage revivals […]

• Big Fat Sugar Cookies | The Fauxmartha 26.06.2014 at 13:43

[…] saw many a mention of Swig Sugar cookies at ALT. Then I remembered seeing a copycat recipe over at Vintage Revivals a couple weeks back. In an effort to fix my blues, I made them with a few modifications and a […]

• Lyndsay // Coco Cake Land 26.06.2014 at 15:01

that dough alone looks GOOD ENOUGH TO SCARF right now!! mmmm i am so happy to have found this recipe (via the faux martha)… these cookies are calling my name! xo

• Ami@naivecookcooks 28.06.2014 at 18:38

First time on your blog and loving it!!

• Brittney Larsen 29.06.2014 at 21:09

Hi I am making these now and my dough is really sticky is there a reason why? I have went through all the ingredients to make sure I didn’t miss anything but I can’t even roll it into a ball? Is there something else I need to be doing?

• Mandi 30.06.2014 at 15:33

You need to add more flour! xo

• Alyson 09.07.2014 at 03:02

“Oh, and that hot pink straw in my pictures is actually a color pencil.”

HAHAHAHAHA. This is my first time ever visiting your blog, and that right there is what will make me click around and stay a while.

• Hello Weekend | A Week in Review 11.07.2014 at 22:49

[…] made these amazing cookies! They were gone too fast Thank you […]

• Mishelle 15.07.2014 at 05:16

These look amazing!!! Can’t wait to try this recipe, thanks for sharing!

• Swig Sugar Cookie and Dirty Diet Coke Birthday Party 17.07.2014 at 16:14

[…] a bunch.  I don’t have one close to me so I did some research and found a copycat recipe here, but I also found this one that looks very similar here (I haven’t tried this one yet). […]

• 29 things you gotta do in Southern Utah 17.07.2014 at 17:02

[…] races. Consume-Order a sugar cookie and dirty diet coke from Swig, or if you can’t, go here to get the recipe.-Get sushi and delicious Thai food at Benji’s.-Order a pastrami, sweet […]

• fave things | 18.07.2014 at 20:53

[…] #1 Swig Sugar Cookies – I have been on a sugar cookie kick lately. I found this recipe featured Vintage Rival’s blog and DANG they are relish. I’m excited to make these for our small group next week. If you’re a sugar cookie lover, these are a must try. […]

• Krissa 21.07.2014 at 04:52

Have you ever put together the mix and then put it in the fridge until the next day? Say.. 16 hours before bake time? I want to make these for a party tomorrow but only have time if i put it together now, bake tomorrow.

• Sugarbritches 26.07.2014 at 04:49

These cookies are AMAZING! I LOVE them. Couple of thoughts that may have been already addressed but just in case… To the person who said they were too sweet – don’t frost (can’t imagine). They taste fabulous plain. Add vanilla for sure and a titch of almond if you like that flavor (and I do). Regarding the cooking time, many said to use a dark pan because they didn’t brown enough. That is EXACTLY how they should be – barely light tan. I played around with the cooking time and the ones that are brown on the bottom weren’t nearly as good as the barely brown. Try it and you’ll agree the lighter cookie is a better consistency. The 8 minutes as suggested in the recipe was perfect. I used a pampered chef med scoop a little overfilled. Perfect with a dirty Diet Coke. Dirty Dr. Pepper was overkill for me. Thanks for the fab recipe.

• erin 26.07.2014 at 22:16

Not sure how you can use someone else’ recipe and call yours original content. This recipe was not created by you so it seems rather rude to try and claim the credit. When I pass along the recipe I will be siting the original source and not you.

• lArUE JONES 06.08.2014 at 14:13

It would have been so nice it there had been a PRINT RECIPE link in this page. I am looking forward to trying the recipe.

• Dianne 13.08.2014 at 00:49

Just made these. never been to swig, but these ARE delish! I made sure to put them in the fridge just like she says and then frost them with the room temp frosting..soo yummy

• Hello Weekend | A Week in Review 18.08.2014 at 06:20

[…] made these amazing cookies! They were gone too fast :) Thank you […]

• Melissa 23.08.2014 at 20:41

We LOVE the swig! My sister who lives in southern Utah took us there this summer. Those cookies are to DIE for. I am SO excited to try these :) thanks for sharing!

• Marie kimber 27.08.2014 at 16:29

I just made these and they’re awesome! It made 60 regular sized cookies!

• Fresh Blueberry Frosted Swig Copycat Cookies - The Kitchen McCabe 28.08.2014 at 16:00

[…] had my first one only a few months ago and loved it. I found a great copycat recipe, thanks to Vintage Revivals, but I thought I could make it even softer so I changed a few things and added in sour cream to the […]

• Twigg Sugar Cookies - Creme De La Crumb 07.09.2014 at 19:21

[…] *recipe inspired by Swig and Fiiz soda shops, adapted from Vintage Revivals copycat 3.2.2708 […]

• Rylee 09.09.2014 at 05:56

I didn’t love these!! To me they tasted like four and I added ALL the right ingredients! I also used my FULL alb bag of powdered sugar and the frosting never got thick.. Hm!

• Joni J 13.10.2014 at 02:05

When I made the frosting, I didn’t need to add the milk at all.

• 10 on 10 11.09.2014 at 01:44

[…] I haven’t really had the urge to do much baking with it being so hot, but I did finally make these cookies that I pinned forever ago. They are so […]

• Lindsay 16.09.2014 at 03:59

Did anyone else’s cookies turn out really dry? What did I do wrong!? I think I followed the recipe correctly

• Gloria 14.02.2015 at 04:48

Yes, Lindsay, my cookies turned out dry. I followed the recipe exactly! They are in the fridge right now. Hoping the icing will help the flavor, if not, I won’t make them again. My husband and two granddaughters did not care for them.

• Swig Cookies 02.10.2014 at 15:05

[…] got the recipe from Mandi from Vintage Revivals. She lives in St. George and apparently, this recipe is spot. on. Like perfection! Out of respect […]

• Go Big! | Young and Hitched 09.10.2014 at 20:51

[…] Here is the recipe that I used to make them http://www.vintagerevivals.com/2013/03/swig-sugar-cookie-recipe-literally-best.html […]

• Joni J 13.10.2014 at 02:00

WOW! I’ve never tried the cookies your are trying to copy but your recipe is totally amazing! Absolutely the best sugar cookie I’ve ever eaten, EVER. I thought I had a pretty good sugar cookie recipe that I’ve been using for awhile now but these blow them out of the water! The cookie is not too sweet, crisp and crumbly yet chewy. The frosting is creamy, not grainy, doesn’t have that powdered sugar taste at all and the salt really keeps it from being sickly sweet. Thank you so much for the amazing recipe! I am making these for Christmas cookies this year. And they make a nice big batch so there’s plenty to eat and to share!

• Tina 13.10.2014 at 22:09

What exactly is a dirty dr pepper?

• Tina 13.10.2014 at 22:10

What is a dirty dr pepper?

• Good Intentions Lead To Sugar - Restoration Redoux 19.10.2014 at 15:19

[…] So guess what we didn’t have time for? Of course … the gym. So we decided since we were feeling bad about ourselves anyway, we might as well go home and make this world famous Sugar Cookie recipe I just discovered from one of my favorite bloggers:  Vintage Revivals. […]

Full Article

Knockoff Swig Sugar Cookie Recipe (LITERALLY The Best Cookie Known To Man!!) – Vintage Revivals

• Kelsey 25.10.2014 at 17:42

I’m so frustrated. I feel like you should take the two seconds it would take to type out tablespoon and teaspoon! I just made 5 dozen of these for a ward halloween party and didn’t taste until the end and they’re horrible! I was in such a rush to hurry and make these I didn’t realize the capital T and lowercase t so I just did everything in tablespoons. such a waste of money and time! can you please edit that for stupid people like me? THANKS :)

• Bonnie 25.10.2014 at 21:40

Do you know about how many cookies this batch makes?

• 100 of the BEST Cookie Recipes | Six Sisters' Stuff 30.10.2014 at 16:46

[…] Swig Sugar Cookies […]

• a glitter party for our sparkle girl 03.11.2014 at 13:43

[…] made this cake (recipe by sweetapolita- it was a giant hit!) and knock-off Swig cookies (in love with these gems as […]

• toni couteaux 10.11.2014 at 18:14

Hello I’m making this now. How doI store them after I’ve frosted them. How long will they last after left out in a container? Can they be frozen?

• Brittney 11.11.2014 at 00:40

update:! third location in Hurricane off of Hwy 9 (before you get to mcdonalds, by the RV place)

• Rose 12.11.2014 at 02:10

• Rose 12.11.2014 at 02:22

I just made these cookies…as a matter of fact, I’m eating one this very minute. THEY ARE AMAZING! I just wanted to share that I’m a chef and I owned my own catering business. I have done a lot of wedding cakes and other baked goods (but have since retired) so I know a lot about baking. After reading this recipe, I made some very minor changes that you might like to know about. I live in a high altitude area so baking them for 8 minutes was nowhere near enough. They were still very raw. so I found that 11-12 minutes was just right. Another thing…in my line of work, the presentation/appearance is half the appeal of anything you serve. The other half is the flavor. So I felt that since these cookies are almost white even after baking, the icing looks a lot better if you add another drop or two of food color to the icing. That way they don’t look so pale, which made them have a raw appearance. Last, I added 2 tsps. of Mexican vanilla to the dough and 1 tsp. to the icing.. I think you will find that these minor additions will make these already amazing cookies even more amazing. By the way, I’m moving to St. George by the end of the year so I will have to try their cookies! Thank you so much for turning me on to this recipe. I just made a huge batch for my grandkids. Oh, one more thing…in the catering business, I always try to find gadgets to cut down on my food prep time. So I used a large cookie scoop (you can find them in kitchen stores) to make the golf-size balls. It takes a lot longer to roll all those cookies in balls rather than just scoop them with the large scoop.

• Ginger Spiced Sugar Cookies (Swig Copycat) - The View from Great Island 18.11.2014 at 15:46

[…] cookie is a variation on THIS RECIPE from Vintage Revivals.  Mandi managed to nail a copycat recipe from a favorite Utah shop called […]

• Monica 19.11.2014 at 00:20

Is there no vanilla in the cookie recipe?

• obsessed with sugar 19.11.2014 at 05:47

My neighbor makes these every year for christmas! SO yummy! I’m just curious of how many cookies the batch makes?

• Ann 20.11.2014 at 14:37

Made these cookies yesterday. As a self confessed sugar/carb addict, I must say I found these cookies overly sweet and rich. I followed the recipe exactly, even chilling the cookie and icing it with room temp frosting, but I just don’t taste the swag in the swig cookie! Maybe you have to have grown up with them to appreciate these cookies! I wouldn’t make them again.

• Camille Hunt 22.11.2014 at 20:39

how many cookies does this make?

• Stephanie 16.12.2014 at 11:25

55 heaps

• Heidi Goodman 25.11.2014 at 20:39

Those sound delicious. I do have one question…I always use canola oil all the time and was wondering if it would work. Thanks!

• Queen 26.11.2014 at 01:23

Cook time and temp?

• kari murrah 07.12.2014 at 18:45

mandi I read your recipe and at the end you put I love your guts put a tear to my eye that is what my momm says after everytime we talk never heard or saw anyone else say that thanks

• Jennifer 08.12.2014 at 03:44

This is the same recipe my mom made when I was little. Although she added some almond flavoring! They are awesome!

• Sugar Cookie Recipe | We Get Healthy 09.12.2014 at 02:45

[…] Knockoff Swig Sugar Cookie Recipe (LITERALLY The Best … – Just pulled them out of the oven….HEAVEN is right! This might be the sugar cookie recipe I’ve been searching my whole life for. I think sugar cookies are a top 5 …… […]

• Beverly Tremain 10.12.2014 at 18:04

Have you ever replaced the flour with almond flour? I’m going to try and do that when I make them this weekend.

• Stephanie 16.12.2014 at 11:24

I made these, they are amazing. I made around 55 cookies following the above.

• Ashleigh Mc 22.12.2014 at 00:32

Holy goodness!!! We made these as our Christmas sugar cookies and they were phenomenal!!! Up in the Salt Lake area, we rely on Slurp in American Fork or Pop Shop in Riverton to get our sugar cookie fix- but thanks to you I can make me any time! Thank you!!!

• Christmas Baking | Pink Owl Sweets 31.12.2014 at 20:26

[…] mouth. For the love of my husband we had to make them. My friend told me she got the recipe from here Seriously a new absolute sugar cookie recipe. I did not like the frosting though and instead I made […]

• Jan McCartney 07.01.2015 at 00:40

Wow, these cookies are as good as you so artfully described! I would not have made them, but the way you wrote about them convinced me that I would be missing out big time if I did not make them! Looking forward to more posts. Thanks!

• SWIG INSPIRED SUGAR COOKIES - SEQUINS & SANDCASTLES 07.01.2015 at 13:59

[…] was from a place in Utah called Swig and were supposed to be just as good as they looked!  I found this recipe and decided to try them.  The icing is supposed to be pink, but I couldn’t find my food […]

• April 06.03.2015 at 20:16

…And yet you have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer…??? Jealous!!!

These cookies look wonderful. Just made a batch during the kids’ nap but the baby is up now. Got them into the fridge to chill. Can’t WAIT to make the frosting & taste them! Are there any SWIGS in NYC? (There used to be a bar & grill called Swig in my old neighborhood, but that’s obviously different.)

Thanks!!

• Soft Sugar Cookies with Sour Cream Frosting | Serendipity by Sara 16.01.2015 at 08:46

[…] actually a copycat Swig recipe from Vintage Revivals.  I’ve never actually been to Swig, which I’m sad about because they’re located […]

• Mari 21.01.2015 at 16:45

Do you use salted or unsalted butter for this recipe? I’ve heard all about these and am dying to try them!

• Mandi 21.01.2015 at 21:23

Salted

• Rachelle 22.01.2015 at 18:03

I am making these again today with my nieces. I made them gluten free with Pamela’s pancake and Baking Mix.

They were honestly the best gluten free cookie I have had to date!!!

Thank you for a recipe that will be a family staple from now on :-)

• SWIG Copycat Sugar Cookies - Patties Place 31.01.2015 at 00:06

[…] Here is the recipe we got from Vintage Revivals. […]

• kaylee G 11.02.2015 at 15:23

What did I do wrong with the frosting? It was NOT good! Is there a certain type of sour cream to use? I have a bunch of delicious cookies with no frosting because I somehow managed to mess it up! Dang it!

• angee 10.03.2015 at 21:33

How many cookies does this recipe make? I didn’t see it, but I may have missed it somewhere. :)

• Rose 14.03.2015 at 01:54

So I don’t know what I did wrong, but I didn’t like the frosting. Mine had small chunks of butter and still tasted a little like sour cream. The cookie itself was good but I wouldn’t say it was Swig/Duthcman quality cookie, no offense. I was a little disappointed because I cheated on my diet to eat these. I guess that’s what I get lol. But please tell me my dough came out not really crumbly nor sticky. What would you do to make more crumbly or not sticky? Also how do you know what consistently to have the frosting? Or make it taste less sour creamy? I didn’t use the whole 2lb bag left maybe a 1-2cups.

• Britt 16.03.2015 at 15:37

I made these lovely cookies and OH MY GOD. To die for. They are going in the book

• Madi 18.03.2015 at 20:46

I believe what makes Swig cookies great is the hint of almond in them. This recipe tastes much better with almond extract.

• callie 23.04.2015 at 01:14

Hi! I hate “telling” on people but if someone did this to me when I specifically said NOT to I would be upset when you specifically asked people not to share. This girl posted your recipe on her blog http://www.kaileewright.com/swig-cookies/ i would HATE if i put work into something and someone else posted it. Just putting it out there cause i love you and your blog!!

• Cody 24.04.2015 at 20:11

I love how many people on here are from Utah! Hello everyone! Let’s meet up at Swig sometime

• Sarah Mc 05.05.2015 at 01:02

Somehow this recipe showed up in my Pinterest feed last week, and even though I’m a chocoholic, these looked so good to me. I’m so glad I decided to try your recipe! I made them yesterday, and while they were good then, they were even yummier after a night in the refrigerator! Oh my goodness, I love these cookies. And I really appreciate the commenters who recommend trying these with gluten-free flour. One member of my book club is GF and it’s hard to find good dessert recipes that she can eat. I can’t wait to make these the next time I host. Thank you so much for this recipe, and your blog is great! I’ll be following you on Pinterest!

• Sodalicious Sugar Cookie Recipe | Motherhood Heals 07.05.2015 at 02:22

[…] frosting is just the right amount of sweetness.  It’s a wonderful thing. So, here’s a recipe I found and tweaked a little bit to my own […]

• Danielle 15.05.2015 at 02:10

Just to be sure, you put powdered sugar in the dough right. It’s not just for the frosting?

• Danielle 15.05.2015 at 02:11

Just to be sure, you put the powdered sugar in the dough; not just in the frosting, right?

• Mock Swig Sugar Cookies 17.05.2015 at 04:57

[…] The closest recipe I’ve found (and I’ve tried several) is the recipe from Mandi @ Vintage Revivals. She has asked us not share the recipe here, but to to please redirect you to hers. Which I totally respect.  If you would like this fabulous recipe, please head on over to her Swig Cookie Post. […]

• Megan 17.05.2015 at 18:52

I have never been to swig but I came across this recipe and tried it today. I love the texture and look of these cookies. They also taste pretty darn good. As is my rule, I followed the recipe exactly for my first time, but if I made them again I would not add salt to the frosting or the sugar used for pressing the cookies. They were a bit salty for my taste. Just my opinion because I always like to read comments from people who tried the recipe. Thanks for sharing!

• Viri 24.05.2015 at 17:26

How much powder sugar do you use for the frosting?…. Can’t wait to make these!!!

• ItalianGirlCooks 25.05.2015 at 20:56

Just came across this recipe on Pinterest, and have to say never heard of Swig…but they look amazing (fabulous contrasting textures)…can’t wait to make them and promise to give credit. Good job!

• Richard 03.06.2015 at 22:03

Ugh!! Swig stole this recipe from Dutchman’s Market in Santa Clara, they have been making these cookies for decades. Swig was selling Dutchman cookies, then they decided to start making them themselves. They get all the credit While Dutchman’s is left in the shadows.

Go check out the ORIGINAL and amazing sugar cookie at Dutchman’s Market in Santa Clara:

2300 Santa Clara Dr, Santa Clara, UT 84765

• Tango 15.06.2015 at 00:30

Im gonna try these cause i like your attitude!!

• Swig Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe -Real Life Dinner| Swig Sugar Cookie Recipe | Knockoff Swig Sugar Cookie Bars 15.06.2015 at 18:41

[…] never been to “Swig” but I tried this knockoff recipe for their cookies a couple years ago. The cookies are soft and chewy with slightly crispy edges. The flavor is unique […]

• Leigh Fitch 23.06.2015 at 20:31

Thank you SO much! I dragged my husband here on day 2 of our 2-week road trip through the West. Happened right after we lost our brand new SUP (hadn’t ever been used) to high Utah winds and someone who got lucky and spotted it on the highway in St. George. Turns out a Dirty Dr. Pepper and a sugar cookie is the perfect balm to disappointed (and hot) souls. So glad you shared this Utah secret! They need to come to Colorado!

• Jennifer S. 02.07.2015 at 19:49

This is exactly how I learned to make sugar cookies when I was a child from my 90 year old grandmother (minus the icing, which looks delicious & I hope to try someday!!!) They are the best sugar cookies ever!

• Mardi 03.07.2015 at 01:19

Love think recipe!

• candace 07.07.2015 at 13:24

Hey, sorry to ask but am I going to miss out a ton on the magical taste of the cookie if I skip the frosting? #1 it’s more work #2 it’s more sugar & calories (though if I’m considering making all these cookies my point there is a bit moot, isn’t it? moot moot moot)

• Jane Gordon 08.07.2015 at 14:37

These sound wonderful! I’m always interested in trying different sugar cookie recipes!

• Carol 09.07.2015 at 18:40

I can’t wait to make these. They look and sound amazing! Quick question though, does it matter if the butter is salted or unsalted? I wanna make sure I’m using the right one. Thanks

• Christina 09.07.2015 at 23:45

Just made these after seeing online last night. Delicious and so easy to make. Thanks for sharing!

• Lorita VanMuyden 10.07.2015 at 02:35

This recipe is almost identical to my all time favorite cookie, and it really is the best! At Christmas time I add mini red and green coated chocolate pieces. Not everyone likes those but I think they are great. Can add chocolate chips, nuts, and other things as well. I have never put frosting on them as I find them sweet enough but will have to try your version.

• Tiffany 10.07.2015 at 03:43

OK… I have NO idea what a SWIG is, but I saw these in my Facebook feed and figured, what the heck? I love sugar cookies, snickerdoodles, anything like that and I’m always looking out for new ways to make them. HOLY CRAP these are delicious. TBH, I wasn’t so sure about the frosting while I was making it – not a huge fan of sour cream frosting. But once they get on those cookies… omnomnom… perfection!

• Anne Steele 10.07.2015 at 13:32

Okay – for those of us a little less worldly – Where is St. George?

• Mandi 10.07.2015 at 16:46

Its in the southwest corner of Utah!

• Michele Freda 13.07.2015 at 01:13

When do you add the 1/4 cup of milk for the icing?

• Krista Hemsley 20.07.2015 at 05:10

Is it a greased or ungreased pan?

• Mandi 20.07.2015 at 17:28

Ungreased

• Michelle 23.07.2015 at 09:35

Hi,
    I need to make these in advance, so although I see your recommendation for the warm frosting on a cold cookie, I’m wondering what the consistency of the frosting is when it’s refrigerated? Mainly, I’d like to know if the cookies are stackable if cold? Thanks!