Alicia’s Living Room Renovation Reveal

When I say this post has been a long time in the making that is an understatement.   The type of understatement that would be along the lines of saying that Thin Mints are just a good cookie.

I have to say that I am pretty much the luckiest girl in the world when it comes to my in-laws.  This blog would literally not be in existence without the encouragement and listening ear of my wonderful Mother In Law (you have met her briefly in this staging video).  She has got fantastic taste and loves all things thrifted as much as I do.  Its sort of like having a best friend that you trade clothes and makeup with, except we trade furniture.

Every summer when school is out, Court is enlisted in a big summer project.  After years of talking about all of the things that we wanted to do to her kitchen/living room it finally came to fruition last July.

This is what her living room looked like before (I seem to have lost some of my pictures in the great computer crash of 2012, so you will have to work with what I got.)

This is a shot looking at the kitchen (its on the other side of that pass through window)

012

And here is a shot looking into the living room from the kitchen

010

And this is what it looks like now…

Living Room Makeover @ Vintage Revivals

…from the same point of view.

Yes my friends we took out a wall, and I cant wait to show you the kitchen tomorrow!!  But lets chat all things living room today.

While my MIL is thriftier than most she doesn’t take it to the same extreme that I do.

The first thing they did after taking out the wall was put in engineered hardwood.  Isn’t it so beautiful?

1590

The walls got coat of paint (the dark color is Iron Ore by Sherwin Williams and the same color that I used in the $150 room makeover)

Warm and Moody Living Room Makeover @ Vintage Revivals

The couch, rug, chandelier, and chairs are from Homegoods (love me a good Homegoods score!)

Brass Chandelier @ Vintage Revivals

The shelves are from World Market and staged with awesome thrift store scores.

Staged shelves @ Vintage Revivals

This brass and wood table is to this day one of our favorite consignment store scores,  if I remember correctly it was $25.

Living Room Makeover @ Vintage Revivals

Living Room Makeover @ Vintage Revivals

If you are a VR super fan you may remember this dresser I blogged about a year ago.  I scored it at the DI for $50 and 10 minutes at my house and a quick Google search later, I found out that this Drexel Parallel chest of drawers was selling on eBay for $895.00.  The best part?  A few months later I found the mate for $60.00!

Vintage Drexel Dresser @ Vintage Revivals

This is the part where I stop talking and show the eye candy.

Pottery Barn Dog Pillow @ Vintage Revivals

Black Wall Living Room Makeover @ Vintage Revivals

Living Room Makeover @ Vintage Revivals-27-2

Living Room Makeover @ Vintage Revivals-44 Living Room Makeover @ Vintage Revivals-25-2

Living Room Makeover @ Vintage Revivals-38

Living Room Makeover @ Vintage Revivals-30

Living Room Makeover @ Vintage Revivals-1-2

Living Room Makeover Ideas Blog @ Vintage Revivals

So do you love it as much as we do?  Have any questions?  Leave them in the comments!! xo

UPDATE:  You can find the kitchen reveal HERE!

• Cassie @ Primitive & Proper 13.03.2013 at 12:10

i am in LOVE!!!! i pinned it- so gorgeous!

• Nancy@OwensOlivia 13.03.2013 at 12:18

Sooo gorgeous! I recognize that rug, and I absolutely love mine!!!! Can’t wait to see the kitchen.

• Kelly 13.03.2013 at 12:24

Wow, that’s amazing! Where did you get that art work with the circles? I love it!

• Corrie 13.03.2013 at 12:25

Sooo…I’ve beenn stalking your blog for quite a while now, but this is my first comment. Yay for that! : ) I love this room. Really. Your style is spot on, and I must say that I DIG all the brass in this room. Fantabulous job!

• Julie Morin 13.03.2013 at 12:34

Love the dark grey/black wall….seeing you use it a few times I feel inspired to use it myself!

• Anne Trent 13.03.2013 at 12:35

Love it!
    Question: how did you get the globe to stay & not roll?
    My globe stand broke & I’m trying to figure out what to do with the globe. My hubs says pitch it, but my frugalness says keep it & doing something awesome with it.
    Any suggestions????

• Mandi @ Vintage Revivals 13.03.2013 at 14:49

You can usually balance it on the top or bottom, but if that doesnt work you could use a glue dot or something!

• Kathy@mishmashmom 13.03.2013 at 19:25

Or you could hang it–maybe in a group of different sized globes. :)

• Anna @ annie and m 13.03.2013 at 12:56

Wow! What an amazing transformation. It’s crazy what new flooring and paint can do to a room. I LOVE that mid-century dresser and sofa. I am definitely going to have to find a Homegoods store in my area.

• Laina 13.03.2013 at 13:11

Ok, seriously Mandi you blow my mind!! this looks incredible! You are so so talented. i wish you would come to TN and redo my house!!! please :(

• Peggy 13.03.2013 at 13:12

OH Mandy, I am completely and totally smitten! I mean to the point that I just want to move in right now!! Or maybe just copy the room because I do love my crew and I don’t think your mother-in-law would appreciate the mongul hoard descending upon her. Ha ha, okay it isn’t a mongul hoard… just 3 teenage boys! This room is spectacular!!

Questions???? Where to start? The maps! Where are they from? And what are they of? Any suggestions on a map DIY? I want ones that have a similar look but are from all the places we’ve lived. So that would be 5… yep 5 states in 23 years. This count doesn’t include the different houses though… not too shabby for a military family. I am sure I’ll have more questions later…. especially when I show this picture to a couple of “boys”. Yes we are doing bedroom makeovers and I am sure this will go a long ways for inspiration!

Once again, truly lovely!!

• Mandi @ Vintage Revivals 13.03.2013 at 14:50

The maps are from TARGET!! I KNOW. Their Threshold collection is amazing.

• Stefanie 14.03.2013 at 21:44

Oh man… I haven’t been to Target in MONTHS and I’m clearly missing out.

• Kim @ Plumberry Pie 13.03.2013 at 13:14

L-O-V-E!!!!!!!

• Rebekah 13.03.2013 at 13:18

BLOWN AWAY!!!!!!!

• Olivia 13.03.2013 at 13:25

Love this!!!!

• Dear Emmeline 13.03.2013 at 13:43

Love.It.All. I’ve been looking at BM colors for dark walls in our master. Iron Ore looks awesome!

• Dear Emmeline 13.03.2013 at 13:45

so looks like I’ll be needing to visit SW. Realized my comment was confusing! I already have one room with Iron Ore pinned for inspiration and now I’m adding this one! Might just be THE color!

• { amy } 13.03.2013 at 13:45

LOVE! You did such a great job:) Love the vintage style you both have!

• Amanda 13.03.2013 at 13:45

WOW! It is absolutely incredible – I am completely blown away. The black wall is perfect, and everything goes perfectly together. LOVE it! Can’t wait to see the kitchen!

• Mrs. DeVore 13.03.2013 at 13:55

Love it!

• Tyesha Turner 13.03.2013 at 14:10

Oh Mandi…This looks amazing! You did an awesome job!

• Emily A. Clark 13.03.2013 at 14:20

Mandi–The room is beautiful, and that dark wall is perfect.

Emily

• David and Natalie Reheis 13.03.2013 at 14:21

I am completely obsessed! Maybe it’s just me but I get freaked out with no blinds/window coverings because I’m afraid murderers are watching me. Nothing covers the windows at night? I love all the natural light in there but it just freaks me out!

• Mandi @ Vintage Revivals 13.03.2013 at 14:51

The windows are really high off the ground Nat but I can see how that would be a little scary!

• Mindi@MyLove2Create 13.03.2013 at 14:45

Totally perfect. You did it again!

• Nic 13.03.2013 at 14:46

Oh my goodness… I love everything about this room! I am so jealous that it’s not mine :)

• Beach Lagassa 13.03.2013 at 14:46

LOVE it all, but I MUST KNOW: Where do I get that dog pillow!? I am smitten.

• Mandi @ Vintage Revivals 13.03.2013 at 14:51

We got it at a store called Downeast. They sell disounted Pottery Barn stuff and that is where it is originally from!

• Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely 13.03.2013 at 14:46

GASP! So perfect! Where did you get that chalkboard looking cartography? I’m looking for something just like that for my boys’ room. My favorite part(s) of the room is that fantastic brass side table and banker’s style lamp. Definitely pinning this one!

• Adventures in Dressmaking 13.03.2013 at 14:55

WOW, Mandi, this is totally amazing!!! I wish I could redo my inlaws’ (or my parents’) living room, haha! This is such a nice space and seems totally perfect for a more mature family, haha. So lovely! Great job!

• Kirsten RealInteriors 13.03.2013 at 14:57

Pinned it! Love it!!!! This is pretty much exactly what I’m working towards in my living room so it was a bit of a moment for me to see. Great job!!

• Kylie 13.03.2013 at 15:01

WOW!!!!!!!

• Andrea | HomageStyle.com 13.03.2013 at 15:06

Simply fabulous! And inspiring!

Mandi, you. are. awesome.

• Nessa the Procrastinator 13.03.2013 at 15:23

Okay, this isn’t your MIL’s house. I know you just snagged these pictures from House Beautiful. It’s stunning, absolutely stunning. You did a fantastic job!

• astr!d 13.03.2013 at 15:35

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! that is so wonderful! i love all the thrifty goodness, and that silver couch, and those striped rugs, and the new floor!! EEEKKK!!!! it looks awesome!!

• Mekenzie @ interiorsbykenz.com 13.03.2013 at 15:53

Wow. This room “speaks” to me. It is gorgeous. Everything is perfect. I am seriously in love with everything about this design.

Nice work Mandilicious.

• Julia Konya 13.03.2013 at 16:06

I’m in love too! WOW!
    And I’m a super fan because I remember that dresser!
    I’m so jealous…I want YOUR mother-in-law…seriously! 😉

• Britt 13.03.2013 at 16:06

Mandi – so inspiring! It looks fantastic. I love the dark wall color and that brass and wood table is an awesome score! Love it!
    xx, B from ThriftyHabit.com

• Cathy Wall 13.03.2013 at 16:11

Just fabulous and the finds are incredible, especially the vintage dresser! You two make a good team!
    Cathy @ Room Rx

• 2busy 13.03.2013 at 16:15

Very nice! I love it. So creative and inspiring…

• Miss Charming 13.03.2013 at 16:30

Absolutely gorgeous! Of all your makeovers, this is one of my favorites. Great color and pattern choices. Everything fits so well together. Simply, a beautiful room.

• Marcia 13.03.2013 at 16:39

This is my favorite look that you’ve ever posted. Love. Love. Love.

• Terry Moore 13.03.2013 at 17:08

Simply fabulous! So cool and chic

• Nicole 13.03.2013 at 17:37

this room looks amazing! I love the styling of the bookcases and the cute dog pillow! Great work (as always) Mandi!

• jackie jade 13.03.2013 at 17:44

wow this room looks fabulous! i really love everything in there – that chest of drawers is gorgeous and what a find that coffee table was!
    jackiejade.blogspot.com

• Chris G 13.03.2013 at 17:46

Looks awesome!! Where is the chevron pillow from, I need some that size.

• Chris G 13.03.2013 at 17:46

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Chris G 13.03.2013 at 17:48

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Chris G 13.03.2013 at 17:48

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Scil La 13.03.2013 at 17:50

That looks fantastic!!!! I dont know how you can just put it all together & make it look awesome! I love how everything works together. I cant even get shelf decor right & you do it so effortlessly! Keep doin what youre doin, looks great!

• Caitlin @ Desert Domicile 13.03.2013 at 17:52

What was that sound you ask? Oh, you know, just my jaw hitting the top of my desk! Seriously, Mandi, you did an AMAZING job! Every time you do something, I’m like “this is it, she’s taken the cake, it can’t get much better than this” and then you go and pull this card out of your sleeve! Dang girl, it’s about time for me to hang up my decorator cap haha

• Marnie 13.03.2013 at 18:14

Amazing!

• Kayla aka Kilo Bravo 13.03.2013 at 18:16

Mandi – I am just continuously floored by how much your style has changed and by how sophisticated, yet fun and funky it has become. I am once again in love with what you have done in this living room. LOVE IT. Bravo and kudos and all those other sophisticated ways to tell you that you rock!

• Matia Malek 13.03.2013 at 18:34

Love love LOVE this room! Every detail – the rug, sofa, lighting, brass, books. Every. Single. Thing. I’m moving soon and get to redecorate (yay!). If it turns out half as beautiful as this room, I’ll be delighted! Great work!

• Lil 13.03.2013 at 19:02

This room is gorgeous. I’m not generally into brass, but I’m digging it.

• Craig and Trisha 13.03.2013 at 19:07

Oh my heck, this is amazing!! Where did you find that Boston Terrier pillow? My husband would love that on our couch!

• Kathy@mishmashmom 13.03.2013 at 19:26

So pretty! Can’t wait to see the kitchen!

• Logan and Sydney 13.03.2013 at 19:55

I want to hear more about how to take out a wall. I have a wall I am DYING to tear down but I’m scared:)

• 17 Perth 13.03.2013 at 20:05

GORGEOUS! I love every little detail—pinning now. :)

• Nutbird 13.03.2013 at 20:25

Well done! Vibrant and modern without being a cliche! Love the brass table, I guess it is a thrift store find. Does your MIL just Love It? Ann

• Ally 13.03.2013 at 20:32

Sometimes the things you do make me want to cry, because I love your style but don’t know how to translate it over to my own house and personal style. But… looks amazing just the same!

• McKenzie @ Girl Loves Glam 13.03.2013 at 20:49

That is perfect! That couch is amazing too!

• Jill Norcross 13.03.2013 at 21:15

I love how boutiquey everything looks!! I love what’s on the mantle. The sofa looks so great!
    Tell us about the pillows, or did I miss it in the comments?
    Did you put together a color palette? Or just buy what you loved?

• Ksenia 13.03.2013 at 21:49

Love everything about this room! And the mid-century dresser! Have to have something like this!

• Shanna Gilbert 13.03.2013 at 22:22

I think this is my favorite makeover you have done Mandi. I absolutely love it! You have such vision. I wish I lived by you so we could go thrifting together and you could help me decorate!

• abi 13.03.2013 at 23:56

This is beautiful and you took some amazing photos too. Where did you find the wood grain pillow? The one on the chair with the chevron. I love it. Must have.

• Mama Mimi 14.03.2013 at 00:55

This is so insanely beautiful Mandi! Can’t wait to see the kitchen!

• Teresa 14.03.2013 at 01:09

So beautiful! My favorite piece is the Boston Terrier pillow!!! (: <3

• pendy 14.03.2013 at 01:12

Looks great! I do have one question, though. Where is the television? It always seems that I’m having to arrange things around ours.

• The Yoder's Four 14.03.2013 at 04:29

I’m having couch lust. F-a-b-u-l-o-u-s.

• jason 14.03.2013 at 04:59

amazing! Love it all.

• Adam & Richelle 14.03.2013 at 05:09

I. LOVE. IT.
    It makes me happy to see you succeed with such variety in styles… don’t get me wrong, this still has the Mandi spark, but it’s more mature (just what I would expect for this type of project)… it’s a pencil skirt, some trendy, but black, pumps, with a bold colored vintage scarf vs. a pair of yellow skinny cropped pants, a frilly girly top, awesome scarf (again), riding a vintage bike (oh, and eating an ice-cream cone)… you know! Love them both. So wonderful to see variety (and still so well done)! Props! <3 it. Come do my living room 😉

• Traci Shanks 14.03.2013 at 10:38

Oh. My. Gosh.

This is simply fabulous! I love everything about it. Great job, and I know your mother-in-law must be thrilled and proud. This is just gorgeous

Come to Charlotte, NC and do my living room next. I’ll even find something for Court to do 😉

Traci

• Sheila 14.03.2013 at 11:37

I bet you and your mother in law would like to do a reader’s living room make over, and coincidentally, my room is in need of one!! Love it, you two make a great team!

• ~alicia 14.03.2013 at 14:39

LOVE it! This is by far my favorite room that you’ve done so far. Great job!

~alicia
    proof-of-love.blogspot.com

• melanie 14.03.2013 at 15:01

Oooohh lala! This looks so boss! Sophisticated, textured, awesome colors, great brass and spectacular design. You and your crew are EXTRAORDINARILY FABULOUS!

• becky gall 14.03.2013 at 15:01

i LOVE your site. and i love love love this room. we are building a house and i’m just now starting to get into diy blogs to try to figure out how to give it some character. i’ve been stalking your blog for a while!! i also love the personal touch you put into your blog. this really is a beautiful site. thanks for sharing!

• melanie 14.03.2013 at 15:01

• nat 14.03.2013 at 15:16

Mandi, Vintage Revivals is my favourite site on the Web! I’ve been a loyal reader and fan for years. Thanks for all your decor courage and inspiration. You’re so fabulicious. Where is the sofa from… or what’s the name of the fabric? Please come up North to Canada and work your $150 room makeover magic on one of my rooms!!!

• Mindy 14.03.2013 at 16:52

Now THIS is a room!

• Pam 14.03.2013 at 17:26

A rare combination of sophisticated and inviting. I love every single thing about it.

• melynda 14.03.2013 at 18:14

did you say where you got those rugs?!?!?!

• destashio 14.03.2013 at 19:06

Fantastic job, Mandi. I love it when you get a chance to help the people you love.

• JanetLee 14.03.2013 at 20:56

Mandi, this room is gorgeous! I am so jealous of the dressers. They are fabulous. I never cared for gray, but in this room it looks fabulous. You have changed my mind about this color. Way to go!

• Artsy Momma 14.03.2013 at 21:53

Mandi, love everything about the transformation! Now spill if the walls couldnt come dow what oh what would you do with the pass through window? We have one from our kitchen to family room and Imclueless as what to do with that eye sore!!!!

• Sophia Kaylee 15.03.2013 at 17:52

Love the dark grey/ I love every little detail. thanks for the sharing with us.
    navy blue bridesmaid dresses
    Green Bridesmaid Dresses

• Lindsey 15.03.2013 at 20:46

The living room and kitchen are both GORGEOUS!!! Your MIL better know how lucky she is to have you. And you are so hired to come fix up my super ugly bedroom. Please?! :)

• jamie @ [kreyv] 15.03.2013 at 20:55

A-MAZE BALLS! You did such a great job. I love it!

• Sarah M 15.03.2013 at 23:24

Where did you find those maps of New York and Paris? I love them!!

• thedabblerpresents 16.03.2013 at 00:39

LOVE LOVE LOVE. I’m so jealous of your talent — but in a good way, not a negative way. 😀

• Jennifer 19.03.2013 at 14:00

Hi there! I am your newest subscriber. You are very talented and your mother in law is as lucky to have you as you are to have her. Sounds like she got a sweet deal when your husband discovered you!

I would love to know more about that fireplace. Is that new, too? How did you frame that out?! I would love to dream about having one similar to that. Could you post more pics of that? Thanks! Jennifer

• Lindsay Mills 19.03.2013 at 18:16

I am constantly inspired by you. Thank you.

• Lise 13.09.2013 at 18:38

Please tell me where those great book shelves came from. I recently moved from SLC to Spokane WA and my house is double the size!! We have a room that is the ‘formal” dining area that we will never use so I need some great book shelves like those. Thanks!!

• Mandi 13.09.2013 at 19:27

They are from World Market!

• Reno Update: We’re Carpet Shopping Ya’ll - Vintage Revivals 25.10.2013 at 14:51

[…] is why when Alicia’s Kitchen and Living Room were done and livable it was super easy to overlook the portion that remained in reno […]

• 5 Fave Friday (errrr Tuesday?) | Ms Shannon Beth 22.01.2014 at 04:38

[…] living room nook by the wonderful and incredibly talented Mandi from Vintage Revivals. I used to think that when I […]

• Pinterest Party Friday!!! - Restoration Redoux 21.02.2014 at 12:16

[…] Source […]

• Stacey Crandall 03.04.2014 at 17:06

Love Love Love this room! Could you please share the white/light wall color?
    Thanks!

• DIY Stacked Plywood Bench - Vintage Revivals 27.08.2014 at 13:23

[…] did a little rearranging in Alicia’s Living Room and really love how dramatic the bench is against the black wall.  Now just to find some […]

• Catherine Crandall 28.08.2014 at 16:47

Wow! Alicia must be so happy right now. You did an outstanding job there. I like how it turned so classy and dramatic after you changed the wall paint color and those lovely home furniture. Good job, indeed.

• homeMADEhome 06.03.2015 at 22:40

Love every single thing but the BLACK CORD running thru the awesome brass fixture!! It obscures the chain and screams look at me!…u can get brass cord. Or even white would disappear to ceiling. At least in Canada u can get brass cord….love the wall colour and cosy feel…nice job!

• Ashy’s Room Makeover: Demo That Dang Bench! - Vintage Revivals 08.06.2015 at 18:38

[…] we overhauled Alicia’s Kitchen and Living Room, we also replace the flooring on the top floor (where her office and Ashy’ bedroom are)  […]

• Behind The Scenes of the P&G/Home Depot Shoot - Vintage Revivals 08.06.2015 at 18:52

[…] to overhaul in 3 short days was a spare room at my Mother In Law’s.  You remember her living room and kitchen makeovers from last year […]

• Sam @ DIY Just Cuz 08.07.2015 at 00:19

This is one of the coolest living rooms I’ve seen, I love all the little pieces & the eclectic style. Pinning this!