Ivie’s New Thrifted Dresser

psst!  The Homies Finals are happening RIGHT NOW and I need your help to win!  I would love your vote in the Best Home Project/ DIY Blog category (we are currently in second place but a few hundred votes behind first)  I will love your guts FOREVER if you will click over and vote, it takes just a few seconds! MUAH to everyone who has already voted!

Once upon a time (about a year ago) I started working on my daughter Ivie’s room.  I was working like a crazy girl to get it finished and hit a brick wall when I needed a dresser and none were to be found (this is the ONE problem with thrifting, sometimes it teaches you patience when you dont want to learn it!) But a couple of months ago the clouds parted and I found this buffet for $60.00

I actually really love the top part of it but it wasnt practical for Ivie’s room so I took it off and it now resides in the hoard in my garage.

I moved the dresser into the spot where the desk originally was and I really love it.

Ivie's Thrifted Dresser

Thrifted Mid Century Dresser

There is just something so FREAKIN fantastic about the legs on a mid century piece.

I am having thoughts of doing something to the inside of the rectangular panels, what do you think?  Also can you spy tomorrow’s tutorial in the picture?

Mid Century Thrifted Dresser

Here are the links to the other tutorials for this room:

So what would you do?  Leave it?  Change it?  Steal it?

• Lois@frugaldecormom 12.02.2013 at 16:14

love the dresser! I have been looking for a mid century dresser for such a long time but they are all so expensive! What a great find!

• Twice Nice 12.02.2013 at 16:19

I’d steal it in a hearbeat! It’s gorgeous. Don’t you sometimes wish they were a little beat up so it wasn’t so agonizing of a decision to do something to them? I think it will be a win/win either way. Have fun!

• G 12.02.2013 at 16:40

I’m so envious of your find! Please, for the love of everything good and holy, do NOT do anything to the inside of those rectangular panels. That piece truly is perfect, as-is!

• Mekenzie @ 12.02.2013 at 16:48

That is such a beautiful piece!!! It has me swooning like a mid-30 year old lady for Bono in leather pants.

• Kara 12.02.2013 at 17:05

I love it! Such a great find. I am always in awe of your thrifting finds. I swear whenever I go thrifting all I see in junk! Oh and you got my vote for the homies!

• Leah Poarch 12.02.2013 at 17:06

I have this same dresser in my dining room and I use it as a buffet. I’m so excited you found it at such a great price!

• Caremuffin 12.02.2013 at 17:09

I want it.

• Jeanne Ireland 12.02.2013 at 18:02

No changes at all. The panels do not need to be touched at all. The finish is perfect. Did you have to do anything to that? Love it!

• Sue 12.02.2013 at 18:31

I don’t think it needs anything done to it. I love it just the way it is.

• 12.02.2013 at 18:34

I would steal it and then I would paint it, then I would put it back. Color is a must!

• Rita 12.02.2013 at 18:36

I just created an account and voted for you!!

• Sharla 12.02.2013 at 18:39

I usually do not like wood tones, but this piece is perfect! I vote to leave as is

• 12.02.2013 at 19:00

Is the tutorial…..happy?? :)

• Lisha Allred 12.02.2013 at 19:39

Do your girls like to have input into their rooms, or do they just let you do your thing?

• Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely 12.02.2013 at 20:12

I love the dresser. It’s beautiful! If you were to do anything inside the rectangles, I’d make it something non-permanent, maybe with some vinyl. Mid-century is currently so hot and thus valuable, that you’d hate to “ruin” it with paint.

• Kathie 14.02.2013 at 22:09

That’s a good idea. It would also allow you to easily change it if the room changes or you move it to another area of your house.

• Nat and Holly 12.02.2013 at 20:17

Gorgeous find!!! Leave it as is… it’s beautiful :) I definitely want to steal it, along with about 37 other things in your house!

• Natalie Murphy 12.02.2013 at 20:39

I was wondering how you find such great thrift stores. I found a couple but they aren’t very big and the furniture is typically expensive for some reason [not sure if they are true thrift shops or just vintage stores]. Do you have any advice? I live in Michigan [30 mins from Detroit].

Natalie @

• Mrs. Garrant 12.02.2013 at 21:36

That is beautiful! I don’t think I’d change it at all. However, if you’re thinking about the rectangle areas, maybe you can trace on the wood with paint/marker/gold leaf/something colorful to bring out the grain. It reminds me of zebra stripes and could tie in nicely with the floor with just a little hint of something.

• McKenzie Guymon 12.02.2013 at 21:49

That is really beautiful! I can’t wait to see the rest of her room!

• jackie jade 12.02.2013 at 23:41

wow i LOVE this dresser. i kinda really want to steal it off you haha. i’m in love with mid century pieces – so great when you find the right one!

• Junky Vagabond 13.02.2013 at 00:29

I have to agree with you – the legs on MCM furniture is so interesting compared to stuff these days. If you want to do something to the rectangles – do it! You have the best taste and it’s YOUR furniture…I’ll be here waiting to see if you take the plunge :)

• Hannah Minkner 13.02.2013 at 00:43

What a beauty :) I am thinking no on the detailing because there’s already so much awesomeness going on… :)

• Julia M Kepler 13.02.2013 at 00:46

Love Love the dresser it makes me as “HAPPY” as a school girl on a sunny day!!! I would leave the panels but dip the legs to bring attention to their awesome “HAPPYness”!!! Did I mention it makes me “HAPPY”!!!

• Jody 13.02.2013 at 00:59

wow very cool!

• annie and m 13.02.2013 at 01:26

I’m such a sucker for mid-century modern. I love the dresser – it looks so great with the fun wall behind it!

• Kelli @ Life at 818 13.02.2013 at 02:04

prob want to steal it… you always have great ideas so go with your gut. but if you decide to leave it as-is.. it’s perfect :o)

• Magic City Thistle 13.02.2013 at 02:50

What a great find, I love a good mid-century dresser (and their skinny little legs too!). Good luck with the Homies – you’ve got my vote!

• kim2649 13.02.2013 at 03:44

Leave it alone, polish it up with some Howard’s Feed & Wax, then sell it if you can! It is from the Sculptra collection by Broyhill Premiere. That line was made from 1957 to the mid-60’s and is highly collectible. I recently found a small chest from that line for a ridiculously low price and sold it for $195. I could have gotten quite a bit more if it was in excellent shape. Your piece is bigger and was much more expensive when new than the piece I found. Also, probably more rare since it was higher priced to begin with. If it’s in good shape, make yourself some money and find another dresser for Ivie’s room.

• astr!d 13.02.2013 at 18:12

fan-freakin-tastic!!! love love love that!!!

• dervla kelly 13.02.2013 at 18:21

I shot a vote your way! Love the blog :)

• I-viewer 13.02.2013 at 22:02

It’s a great piece without the top – the details in the panels & the drawers are more noticeable without any other distractions. I would consider using mica for the insets – it would lend a golden tone that would blend with the woodtones, while providing a reflective surface for a little ‘flash’.

• nicreilly 13.02.2013 at 22:54

Love it! What about a splash of turquoise inside the drawer pull crevices.

• JanetLee 14.02.2013 at 05:33

I don’t believe that the top of that piece goes with the bottom. The doors don’t match. It is gorgeous the way it is. Please don’t paint it.

• abi 18.02.2013 at 17:42

LOVE IT! What an amazing score. I transformed a china hutch from the Salvation Army to use for my daughter’s lizard tank. (yep, I said lizard tank.) It doesn’t have the fabulous shape your piece does but it came out great. I painted mine but I think yours would look great painted or as is. Here’s my link in case you wanna see a painted version.

• kim2649 18.02.2013 at 17:46

The top definitely goes with the bottom, although they could be purchased separately. Here is a link to the original brochure for that line of furniture:

• margaretpardue 18.02.2013 at 22:38

Hey Mandi! I love the dresser, but what I’m really interested in/obsessed with is the absolutely incredible plant that is sitting on top! I’ve been yearning for an architectural house plant of my very own for a while and I love love love that one. What kind is it? Is it easy to care for? I notice you have a lot of awesome house plants – it’d be great if you could do a post featuring all of them! Thanks!

• Courtana 07.03.2013 at 20:34

I want to steal the dang thing! Love the legs, the lines, one hot piece of furniture!

• Incorporating wood items into your design! 11.11.2013 at 16:48

[…] more plants into my home, and I love the fresh vibe it give off. This next pic is my girl Mandi from Vintage Revivals… that dresser is almost identical to the buffet we refinished with the Mid-Century DIning Set […]

• Starting Back at Triangle One, how not to Stencil! | Chaotically Creative 16.01.2014 at 21:59

[…] I wanted to paint this amazing stencil all over two of the main walls. Like the one below from Mandi at Vintage Revivals. I love her style and I loved the way her triangles look. She used a completely different technique […]

• Mid Century Dresser Turned Mini Buffet | Hello Lidy 07.04.2014 at 14:08

[…] to come! What do you think of our newest mid century piece?! P.S. I was so happy when I saw that Vintage Revivals has a very similar dresser from the same line in her amazing home – love her […]

• …on a washi tape fail | thoughts from the Box 07.05.2014 at 03:32

[…] “Bring the funk!” “I need some color!”  I found this wall online over at Vintage Revivals and thought something like that (only in green) would look kind of neat.   But then I showed Adam […]

• Just Me 02.07.2015 at 04:42

I know this post is old, but I have a matching piece to this buffet/dresser of yours (It’s the Broyhill Sculptra line) that I got for $30 from Craigslist. And after doing some research I am finding people selling these on online stores for $600-700 dollars!! I am actually refinishing the one I have as a custom order and feel like a schmuck for giving it to her for 300; at least she’s a repeat customer – that makes me feel better 😉 At any rate, always research before selling (if you should eventually sell this piece, that is). And I also agree to leave it as is…these pieces are too spectacular to paint or change other than to sand them down and refinish them if needed.