We all have them. Game changing (or should I say room changing) ideas that send your current decor into a tailspin that even Iceman cant pull out of. You want EVERYTHING different.
About a year ago this happened to me. I announced that I was redoing my living room and my main inspiration was Southwest.
This is what my living room looked like at that moment…not a bit of southwest to be found. I needed a change.
I had some pretty set ideas on what I wanted. The biggest thing that started the entire ball rolling was the plan to stencil my main wall with an awesome native triangle pattern. (Actually I dont know if stencil is technically the right word. I was going to stencil gold leaf adhesive to the wall and then gold leaf the pattern.) In my mind this was SUCH a brilliant idea. I had THE BEST stencil company in the world Royal Design Studios custom make a stencil for my wall. (if you are thinking about stenciling you will 100% want to use theirs. I PROMISE. My current fave is their Rattan stencil)
It took me a while to get around to doing it and to make a long story short, it was not awesome. It was imopssible to tell where the adhesive was, the edges were far from a clean line and it took for.ev.ur. to do it. I even ordered some gold stencil creme to stencil the pattern on, but by that time I had come to love the plain white walls and wasnt quite sure I wanted to give them up. (I cant seem to find the pictures of the stencil but you can see it on the wall during this video)
So now that you are caught up, here is where I am today. I LOVE the way my living room is coming together. But I am sad that there isnt more tribal southwesty goodness going on. In fact all I have right now the is even remotely ethnic is my Aztec Chevron rug (made that name up, thankyousomuch), this awesome pillow that I scored at Homegoods in AZ when I was working on Kelsey’s room, and the leather and sisal woven rug underneath the desk that goes against everything I believe in.
They are all graphic (which is the whole reason I chose southwest, not because I am obsessed with peach, sea foam green and howling cartoon coyotes.) The problem is that there is just not ENOUGH.
So this week that is all changing.
I think I have figured out a way to rock the animal hide canoe a little… can’t wait to show you guys! Make sure you follow me on Instagram so that you can stay updated!!
So here are my tips to working through an idea fail.
1. Failure is not an option. Ever. Just because something isnt working out the way that it should doesnt mean that you should paint the wall and give up on it forever.
2. Step away for a bit. We all know the feeling. You have stared at that DANG wall/dresser/room for waaaaay to long, its like when you have to keep writing the same word over and over and over and it gets to the point where you are asking yourself if those are in fact english letters and if it is still spelled correctly. Dont try to figure it out if you are frustrated, just give yourself a break.
3. Remember what inspired you in the first place. For me it was the graphic pattern that I loved. What was it that inspired you to get so excited you couldnt sleep? Make a list if you need to. Sometimes putting things on paper helps you narrow your focus.
4. Talk it through with someone that you trust. For me its my amazing Mother in Law. She is a perfect sounding board because she has great taste and really gets my need to push the envelope. Utilize your friends on Social Media, listen to the ones that you trust and dont discount the ones that arent your cup of tea, it might trigger your inspiration somewhere down the line.
5. Get back on the horse!! Sometimes the only way to figure it out is through trial and error. So try try again!
Do you have any triumphant ends that you want to share with the world?! Leave the link in the comments so we can all check them out!