DIY Sharpie Wallpaper Tutorial

I am so IN LOVE with today’s project I want to lick my wall.  Remember last week when we chatted about overcoming a major project/idea fail?  This post is what I like to call redemption.  Or DIY Custom Wallpaper…without the paper, or the cost, or the mess for that matter.

For those that are new here is a quick recap.  In my living room I was itching for Southwest/Tribal inspiration.  The original plan didnt work out the way I wanted so I left the walls white.   There is nothing better to brighten a room than white walls.  I had fallen in love with the white, I didnt want to give it up.  Now I have the best of both worlds (sing that in your best Miley Cyrus voice for full effect…)

DIY Sharpie Wallpaper Tutorial @ Vintage Revivals

So great right?!!  Here is the best part.  The entire project cost $8.00!  I mean that is like 2 happy meals!!   If you are overwhelmed by stenciling,  wallpaper is too expensive  or want thinner lines that you can get with taping off stripes this project is PERFECT!

Here is what you need:

DIY Wallpaper Tutorial @ Vintage Revivals-1-2

Yep, that’s it.  A Sharpie paint pen and a straight edge.  Make sure that you are getting a PAINT pen and not just a regular sharpie, and make sure that they are water based.   Did you know that you can paint oil paint over latex but you cant paint latex over oil?  We are using a water based pen for that very reason,  in the future if you want to paint over it you will be able to without re-priming your walls.

You can find water based paint pens at any craft store (I got mine at Michaels on sale for $2.50)  I used 3 for my wall.

I was inspired by this amazing wall I saw on Apartment Therapy:

Gallery_wall_rect540

I love how this wallpaper looks hand drawn and I love the huge scale of it.  So I took what I loved and gave it my own twist with triangles.

Start by drawing your horizontal lines.  Dont forget to use a level folks.  My lines are 18” apart.  When you are doing a project like this start at the ceiling and work your way down, that way you will end up with a full design at the top and the broken design at the bottom.

DIY Wallpaper Tutorial @ Vintage Revivals-1-3

Now comes the fun part, the actual design.   First you need to decide how large you want the base of your triangle to be.  I wanted mine taller than wider so I decided on a 12” base.   Find where your starting end is (against a wall or door frame) and alternate marking the full width of your base and 1/2 the width of your base on your horizontal lines.

How To Draw Wallpaper Tutorial @ Vintage Revivals-1-5

There are 2 reasons you are doing this.  It is setting the pattern and the spacing (so that the point of the triangle is in the center of the base).

Once you have your starting marks just measure the width of your base from then on (12”)  Lets say you want your triangles to be 8” at the base, you would mark (going down your horizontal lines) at 4”, 8”, 4”, 8”.  And then mark every 8” from those starting points.  Got it?

Now channel your inner 1st grader and using your straight edge connect the dots!

DIY Wallpaper Tutorial @ Vintage Revivals-2-2

Here are a few tips for working with metallic paint pens.

1.  You have to shake them constantly, what ever it is that makes it metallic looking seems to settle on the bottom.

2.  If it seems like the pen is drying out depress it onto a piece of paper and that will fill the felt tip again.

3.  The paint dries very quickly, but make sure that the line is dry before you cover it with your straight edge because if its not it can smear.

4.  If you flub a line you will have to repaint it and then go again,  you cant wipe the paint pen off without getting a big yellowish smear.

DIY Wallpaper Tutorial @ Vintage Revivals-1

The best part is that you can do a million combinations of patterns and colors .  What about a charcoal wall (like the one I did in the $150 room makeover) with white lines?  Amazing.

To do the entire wall in my living room I spend 3 hours drawing, which is WAY less time than it takes to stencil, wallpaper, tape, or paint.  This project is perfect if you just need a little spruce up in your house!

DIY Wallpaper Tutorial @ Vintage Revivals-4

DIY Sharpie Wallpaper Tutorial @ Vintage Revivals

Some of the other tutorials I spy in this picture are Love String Art, How To Make A Light From A Bowl, and the always incredible Thrift Store Crewel Art.  If you are wanting more hand drawn inspiration check out Wendy’s traditional wall and Elsie’s off the beaten path wall posts.

So what do you think?  Is this a project you could handle?

• TwoThirtyFiveDesigns 22.01.2013 at 17:58

Do you know how fabulous this is?!?!
    Well, evidently you do, since you want to link them….I want to scarf them, how fabulous is this???
    Very, very well done

• Leah K. 22.01.2013 at 18:01

Good job! Great idea. Looks awesome in your space.

• Dear Emmeline 22.01.2013 at 18:06

What a great idea Mandi! Looks fabulous!

• Econicho 22.01.2013 at 18:08

***drool***

• Mindy 22.01.2013 at 18:08

i am in love..
    dreaming about what room to do this to!
    thanks mandi!

• Caitlin @ Desert Domicile 22.01.2013 at 18:12

Amazing! Can’t believe it only cost you $8 and 3 hours of your time!

• sandpaperandglue.com 22.01.2013 at 18:20

LOVE THIS. I have a gray wall in my living room…. there may be some white sharpie in its future….

• Mandi @ Vintage Revivals 22.01.2013 at 18:42

DO IT DO IT!

• sandpaperandglue.com 02.04.2013 at 14:12

ok I couldn’t take it anymore and I HAVE ORDERED THE MARKERS. they’ll be here Thursday night…. which is perfect, because my fiance just so happens to be out of the house Thursday night, haha :) woo hoo!

• Mekenzie @ interiorsbykenz.com 22.01.2013 at 18:23

wooooooow. It is so amazing. It is a subtle and stunning. I love your creative mind!

• Lindsey @ Better After 22.01.2013 at 18:24

LOVE it! Great job Mandi! I am really digging the combination of gold and white lately, probably because of you. I learned it by watching YOU! 😉

• Nancy@OwensOlivia 22.01.2013 at 18:29

wonderful!

• Eric 22.01.2013 at 18:32

This looks great!! Just wanted to say though that Sharpie marker is terrible to cover up even with KIllZ and such. It bleeds through. I hope that does not happen to you if you need or want to cover this at a later date.

• Mandi @ Vintage Revivals 22.01.2013 at 18:41

Hey Eric!
      A sharpie paint pen is different than a sharpie marker, it doesnt bleed through (I know cause I had a few mistakes I had to paint over!) Thanks for your thought, I am sure there were others that were thinking it!

• Jenn 22.01.2013 at 18:33

Oh. My. Gosh. This is amazingness!!! I am so in love (and still jealous of that map find every time I see it)!

• christin 22.01.2013 at 18:43

OMFG YOU JUST BLEW MY MIND!!!

• Katie 22.01.2013 at 18:55

pretty cool my friend… and easy to do (just takes a lot of time)!

• McKenzie Guymon 22.01.2013 at 19:11

Holy freaking CRAP Mandi! That turned out SO dang good. I am glad you ballsed up (is that even a term? haha) and did it! It looks fab!

• Wendy @ The Shabby Nest 22.01.2013 at 19:15

Thanks for the shout out cute Mandi! Love how your wall turned out!!! xoxo

• Teri 22.01.2013 at 19:25

Beware! My daughter did a stained glass cross in her bedroom that she outlined with sharpie and many layers of “kills” primer and several layers of paint later, the sharpie is still bleeding through:(

• Little Paper Dog 22.01.2013 at 19:35

Talk about going weak in the knees! gold and triangles are 2 of my latest obsessions. :)

• Megan@Just For Me...And You 22.01.2013 at 19:36

LOVE it! Such a great idea and great pattern you designed. Do they have lots of sharpie paint pen colors?

• Angela Santaniello 22.01.2013 at 19:39

This is crazy good. I’m totally sitting here in amazement right now because the possibilities are endless.

Angela

• The Crafted Sparrow 22.01.2013 at 19:51

Love it! Totally doable, doesn’t break the bank, perfect for a small accent wall, and easy to cover up when your over it…awesome!

• Vivienne @ the V Spot 22.01.2013 at 19:52

Pretty cool Mandi!

• Crafty Texan 22.01.2013 at 19:55

I was going to comment how it looked like my inspiration photo for my office walls, but it’s the same pic that inspired you! Too funny. I will be doing it without the triangle effect, though I think you’re a genius to do it like that! Hmm, I may have to look for a sharpie in the color I want instead of painting it now, bc $8?! Awesome. GRRRRRRREAT job as always Mandi!!!

• christy 22.01.2013 at 19:58

Amazing! I love it.

• Bethany 22.01.2013 at 20:02

do you think this would work on textured walls?

• Amy F 23.01.2013 at 03:35

That’s what I want to know too! I been thinking about stenciling my pantry walls but nothing about the idea was exciting me…until now!

• MindySchaper 22.01.2013 at 20:12

too awesome.

• Danny.April 22.01.2013 at 20:53

WOW I love it!!!!

• Jaclyn Finlinson 22.01.2013 at 22:21

Oh my! You are my hero! I am totally doing this!!! LOVE it!

• Ricky and Chelsey 22.01.2013 at 22:24

I thought about not commenting but then I realized that no one can ever hear how talented they are too much. Your blog is one of my favorite on my reader. Everything you have done lately I love! You are super duper talented, seriously!

• Diane Streicher @ Diane Again 23.01.2013 at 01:40

I agree with all of the above. I have nothing new to add except WOW ZOWIE and I don’t really have a good place for this effect but it looks so fun I just want to do it anyway.

• sturdydesign 22.01.2013 at 22:26

Love, love, love, love, love! We are getting ready to move at the end of March and I am so stinkin’ excited to have a fresh new “canvas” to decorate! I’m definitely going to try something like this in one of my rooms. Amazing. You blow my mind.

• P.j. 22.01.2013 at 22:37

This is awesome! Love that it takes much less time than stenciling, especially if one is into geometric shapes. Though from reading these posts some people still seem to think you used a regular Sharpie, which would bleed. So again, this was made using a Sharpie metallic PAINT pen.

• Kami @ Sweet Charli... 22.01.2013 at 22:51

One word. AWESOME! I feel like I can do this!! What do you think about stripes? In my master?? :) thanks for sharing!

• Kelli @ Life at 818 22.01.2013 at 23:17

flippin adorable

• Simplista 22.01.2013 at 23:21

Love this! And love that map? Where did you find that gem??

• thelittleredowl.com 23.01.2013 at 00:41

This is so genius, I cannot wait to try it! Thanks for sharing.

• Michele 23.01.2013 at 00:57

I love this…and can’t believe I never thought to do it.

• AviLynn 23.01.2013 at 01:53

Amazeballz Mandi. So simple yet original. You have saved me time & my wallet from buying a $40+ stencil (in a crazy easy pattern) to make my laundry room understated, yet fabulous. Well Michael’s here I come!! Maybe I’ll send you a picture when I get it done:)

• Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple 23.01.2013 at 02:13

Amazing Mandi!!

• modern jane 23.01.2013 at 02:19

This is ridiculously amazing! I can’t believe how amazing it looks! Well done!

• Kelly Pelley 23.01.2013 at 02:22

Love, love, love this idea! Will be proposing to my client that we do this in here hallway! Perfect for those on a budget : )

• Jody 23.01.2013 at 02:37

Sharpie paint pens…..genius! Looks awesome!

• Kirsten Janzen 23.01.2013 at 02:39

Love it! Such a huge impact for so little time and money. Amazing!!

• Tracie OB 23.01.2013 at 03:01

That is so cool – your ‘fail’ turned out pretty good :) Simple but artsy.

• Desiree @ The 36th AVENUE 23.01.2013 at 03:18

Shut UP! This is crazy awesome… pinning!

• Melissa @ The Inspired Room 23.01.2013 at 03:44

Stop being so awesome!! Wait. Don’t stop, you are so inspiring :-) xo love you!

• Erinn 23.01.2013 at 04:56

i love all your work!! sorry i don’t comment more, but i did want you to know i check in on your blog often, your amazing and so full of talent! and i do have something for your what would you do series, i just gotta get my crap together and e-mail pictures… then i can have a touch of your awesome-ness in my house!

and one of these days we need to coordinate so we are visiting slc at the same time and do a big girls plus grandpa lunch or something, wouldn’t that be fun! it’s sad, i feel like i don’t see anyone anymore! but just know i love you and your cute family from afar!

• The Yoder's Four 23.01.2013 at 05:22

FABUUULOOUUUSSSS!!!

• Jessica 23.01.2013 at 06:42

Love it!! Can’t wait to try this one day!!

• Sunday 23.01.2013 at 13:20

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I’ve been wanting to do a pattern on one wall instead of wallpaper. I would think you could do the same thing using the sharpie paint pen? Right? I love the paint pen idea so it can cover later! You continue to be awesome! HUGS!

• CanvasPics {Interior HeART still life} 23.01.2013 at 14:50

I have never seen those pens! Great idea, might have to use in my son’s bedroom to save on the cost of a stencil. I originally wanted to do an allover birch tree stencil – but this could be modified. Thanks for the tips.

• Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com 23.01.2013 at 15:18

Look at all these comments…I’d say you’re past the puberty stage, wouldn’t you? This is a fabulous idea, but I wouldn’t expect anything less from you. You rock!

• Jennifer 23.01.2013 at 16:08

What an awesome idea…love it!

• Lisa Mahan 23.01.2013 at 16:11

Love it!! I would have never thought of that. Thanks for the idea!

• Meg 23.01.2013 at 16:58

Love this idea. Your walls look amazing!

• Mara and Jae 23.01.2013 at 17:51

between this idea and your love art piece…..i’ve got a hefty to-do list ahead of me!

• Marnie 23.01.2013 at 19:00

Super idea, saw this with tape but the sharpie would be easier…very smart!

• Carrie 23.01.2013 at 19:46

You are a really good tutorialist. The wall is fabulous and I’m already planning which wall is getting this treatment, but I have to tell you how impressed I am by your explanation. You really have a gift, not just of creative ideas, but of how to explain the execution. So many bloggers can carry out their own ideas, but can’t explain in enough detail, clarity, and pictures how to duplicate it. I write for a living (and see plenty of poor writing in the process), so I can truly appreciate the talent you have. I hope you realize that is one of your greatest strengths.

• Kata 23.01.2013 at 21:28

answers! so fab!

• Shavonda 23.01.2013 at 23:10

Yet another awesome DIY courtesy of Sharpie paint pens! Looks like I just found another use for mine. I swear those things are addicting!

• Mindi@MyLove2Create 24.01.2013 at 02:00

This is so amazing, I am pinning for when I actually do it and I soooo want to! Thanks again Mandi, you inspire me!

• Chloe West 24.01.2013 at 19:47

Holy cow, this is like perfectly done! How on earth did you get your lines so straight and perfect looking?!

Chloe

• michelle@somedaycrafts 24.01.2013 at 20:27

I love your wallpaper! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

• sheena 24.01.2013 at 23:14

Love it!

• DeeConstructed 25.01.2013 at 19:29

This post makes me want to eat paste for some reason. :) Super cute – wish my walls weren’t textured. Now, I’ll be wondering all day what I can take my paint pens to…I’m thinking the blah curtain on the back door could use a good kindergarten treatment. Thanks for the idea! ~ Dee

• thompson 25.01.2013 at 20:03

oh my word this is fantastic. i love that it is done with a freakin sharpie pen! amazing.

• saltandtwine 27.01.2013 at 14:36

I just discovered your blog, after seeing your sharpie marker wall on thenester.com. How did I not know about this before?! Loving it! Can’t wait to see more! – Christine (www.saltandtwine.wordpress.com)

• Internet Support 27.01.2013 at 14:47

Amazing idea … love it!!!

• Courtney {a thoughtful place} 27.01.2013 at 18:31

LURVE!!!!!!!!!! Now that I have popped over here, I realize there are so many projects that I love of yours. So fun to meet you at Alt. Will be following you along your journey for sure.

• madgirl 27.01.2013 at 19:42

so good…totally love it.

• shannon 28.01.2013 at 02:19

I love your sharpie wallpaper!! I tackled a sharpie+paint wallpaper in my bathroom. Well, it’s actually a {schumacher}wallpaper knockoff. It took a loooong time, but I love the results and the $ in my pocket :) Always love your projects!If you want to check out my sharpie walls:

shannon berrey design

• heather s. 28.01.2013 at 13:45

Love this! I think I finally found a solution for my stairway to the basement!

• Kris @ Driven by Décor 29.01.2013 at 04:09

Totally love this project!!!!

• Adventures in Dressmaking 07.02.2013 at 16:08

WOW, this looks amaaaaazing! And such an original look and idea!!

• remi 07.02.2013 at 16:41

Okay, this may be obviously silly, but my walls are textured. Will this work for my walls too? or is it too risky? How would I try it out?

• Mandi @ Vintage Revivals 07.02.2013 at 16:44

Not a silly question at all!! My walls are textured and it worked great! You might have to go a little slower drawing the lines, but it will work.

• Inspire Me Heather 25.02.2013 at 14:59

LOVE your wall! I tried this too with a Sharpie but my lines didn’t turn out even, I think it’s because I used a thick marker… hmm. Anyways, I have this linked to my wallpapers post too today – for inspiration!

• JAS 18.04.2013 at 09:16

Mandi, I’m a believer & a faithful follower. Now, I am a believer & faithful follower of your blog, as well! Good job- You’re very inspiring! (this is coming from a person who only subscribes to two blogs- the other one is a good friend of mine) so I mean this a big compliment! Truly, Julie PS. I’m Doing Sharpies on the wall of my bathroom in country club pink and green:~) Thanks Doll!

• Taylor {Sew Much Love} 24.06.2013 at 19:23

I just found this and wanted to say thank you times a million! Doing this in the powder room this weekend!

You are so talented it’s ridiculous! You know that right?!?

• Laura @ Total Wallcovering 16.09.2013 at 17:28

Wow, talk about being creative. You basically created your own wallpaper using a $3 Sharpie. Great advice for folks who are trying to decorate on a budget or want to get creative with what they already have.

• Painted Wall Pattern | Ariela Designs 17.09.2013 at 02:05

[…] This was done with a sharpie!! Ya! A flippin sharpie! How rad (source) […]

• Tuesday Musings: Pinterest Edition | ememby 17.09.2013 at 13:36

[…] from here, here and […]

• Pretty little Reading Nook aka My favorite spot in the house 19.09.2013 at 23:49

[…] another view of where this little sitting area is in the room. Tutorial for the wall design is from Vintage Revivals. Mandilicious isn’t it!? I’m in love with it. Mandi calls it life changing and […]

• France Vs Australia | Wild Wandering 14.10.2013 at 13:09

[…] easy and I LOVE the way it turned out. If you would like to try you can find the original tutorial HERE on one of my fav blogs Vintage Revivals. Mandi and I competed wayyyyy back in crafting with the […]

• 10 Eye Catching Accent Walls 20.10.2013 at 02:09

[…] one. I may or may not be working on this wall’s twin! Stay tuned. But seriously, head over to Vintage Revivals and remind Mandi that her genius idea is gorgeous and amazing and […]

• be a rule-breaker 29.10.2013 at 20:15

[…] broken with a beautiful results.  Can you believe Edie painted her bedroom walls black?  And Mandie drew on her walls with a Sharpie marker?  And the Nester made the coolest wall treatment ever with Duct Tape?  Some old-school, […]

• luxxury livving {Chantal} 02.11.2013 at 23:53

Love this idea! So simple yet with just enough impact and gold too, well done.

• Blogs I Heart » Let's Get Crafty! 08.11.2013 at 01:59

[…] out her sharpie wallpaper wall, the string art, or her industrial floating shelves. I’m swooning baby. You should totally […]

• Merel 09.11.2013 at 16:59

• How To Draw On Your Walls With Marker… And Make It Fabulous! | Sandpaper & Glue 13.11.2013 at 19:31

[…] few months ago Mandi @ Vintage Revivals posted a DIY Wallpaper technique she basically invented out of thin air using nothing but her mind grapes and a gold […]

• Its A White White DIY Christmas! - Vintage Revivals 02.12.2013 at 11:42

[…] (Psssst!  Love the wall pattern?  I used a Sharpie!! Here is the tutorial!) […]

• 13 Ideas DIY para decorar con rotuladores | Craft+Co. | Creatividad, inspiraciones y compras en Internet 10.12.2013 at 12:00

[…] claro ejemplo de ello, ya que trazando únicamente líneas se consigue un efecto genial. (Vía: Vintage Revivals – Traducción en […]

• diane streicher 17.12.2013 at 07:35

In a moment of inspired insanity, I repainted my dining room walls and used this genius idea of yours. Then I blogged about it, linking to this post. Thank you for being AMAZING!!

• Diana 08.01.2014 at 06:38

awesome work! you forgot to ad a line on the bottom left of the second to the last photo. haha i am a bit observant

• DIY Geometric Patterned Wall | diypassion 20.01.2014 at 13:34

[…] the Sharpie pen wall paper. I saw a post about this technique on Vintage Revivals and within seconds I knew this was what our space […]

• Andrea 27.01.2014 at 23:04

Hey everyone! I’m actually in the process of doing this project right now and wanted to share a happy coincidence – well, sort of. I was drawing my horizontal lines when the paint pen caught on a spot on my wall and stuck and gushed paint all over and down my wall. Well, I quickly grabbed paper towels to try and wipe up the excess. When it made an enormous yellow smear on my very light gray walls, I decided to try what I always whip out when my two year old has a little too much artsy-fartsy fun in my house – a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Luckily for me, it came right off. I even had a couple of spots in the lines that weren’t perfect and I used the corner of a small Magic Eraser to correct the lines and they now look great. So get a Magic Eraser if you want to do this project – or if you’re like me and nothing turns out quite perfect. Thanks for the AWESOME project Mandy! I can’t wait to finish!

• Aidel.K 05.02.2014 at 21:33

Hi–I clicked over from Apt Therapy. What a great blog you have! I spent way too much time clicking all around with your irresistible links. I’ll be back. Love your wall, too.

• Jennifer 11.02.2014 at 21:05

Too bad I can’t post a photo, but I just did this this weekend (found it through Apartment Therapy) and I am so excited about it! It gave the blank wall some real pizzaz and changed the whole room, which I’d been struggling to have come together. Try it!! Isn’t it funny that NBC is using this same geometric for the background of their Olympics coverage? Did you notice?

• Mandi 11.02.2014 at 22:38

Jennifer you can upload it to instagram and hashtag it #myvintagerevivals and then everyone can see it!!

• Writing on the Wall | ritewhileucan 22.02.2014 at 21:18

[…] If you are daring and own a Sharpie™ try this cool concept out on your favorite […]

• Carey 23.02.2014 at 14:40

I found my way to your blog via Pinterest and coaxed my hubby into doing the Sharpie accent on our big blank boring tan family room wall. It was just what the wall needed! The tan wall with the gold accent is a fabulous combo and I LOVE how the light picks up the design. I still need some artwork to finish the wall, but at least I have a more interesting wall to enjoy in the meantime. Thanks for sharing this inexpensive and AWESOME project!

• Elaine - visual meringue 24.02.2014 at 16:38

Genius! This is amazing Mandi!

• Sarah 04.03.2014 at 21:44

You might be a fan of my Sharpie “wallpaper”! http://kellygenelife.wordpress.com/2013/03/15/faux-wallpaper/
    It’s my most favorite part of my entire house! I’m loving that gold Sharpie paint pen, though, so I may be tackling another room so I can try it out. You used two pens for just one wall, right?

• Coral and Mint Living Room Reveal - 07.03.2014 at 02:54

[…] wall and hallway. Now, we have a crisp white (Behr – Swiss Coffee) room with a Mandilicious, Vintage Revivals inspired gold sharpie accent wall.  It’s funny but I can totally see my style shift and I finally figured out what […]

• Allie 11.03.2014 at 08:59

Hi Mandi, I have just done this on my study wall! It looks AMAZING! Just wondering if you would be happy for me to link back to your blog to show people where I got the idea! thanks, Allie

• Mandi 11.03.2014 at 14:24

Sure!! Thanks Allie, I cant wait to see it!!

• Allie 13.03.2014 at 22:15

Thanks Mandi! The post is up. We did the wall in silver and looks so beautful, thanks so much for sharing the idea!!

• DIY - Papier peint Sharpie | l'An Vert du Décor 14.03.2014 at 11:00

[…] Pour le coup c’était parfait, je n’ai rien changé, j’ai juste appliqué. Pour découvrir la marche à suivre, c’est par ici (tuto en […]

• 6 Statement Wall Ideas | Home and Garden | CraftGossip.com 17.03.2014 at 14:55

[…] Sharpie Wallpaper – Vintage Revivals […]

• Coat Closet: Sharpie Wallpaper and Chalkboard Paint » Naptime DIY 07.04.2014 at 20:08

[…] much more fun to look over and something fun than plain old white. I remembered seeing Mandy from Vintage Revivals use Sharpie paint pens to “wallpaper” her walls. A couple of bucks later I had two gold […]

• Rabia @TheLiebers 08.04.2014 at 19:16

This looks amazing! So simple, yet so elegant!

• Inspiring Homes Series: Featuring Home of Stacy Miner | 11.04.2014 at 14:25

[…] gold geometric wall pattern is from vintagerevivals.com. She thinks so I don’t have […]

• Stacy 13.04.2014 at 12:34

I am in love!!! I am about to do an office/craft room makeover and incorporate gold….hmmmm 😉

Stacy

• DIY Geometric Wall 16.04.2014 at 03:41

[…] You can how Vintage Revivals did her wall here […]

• DIY Wallpaper With A Sharpie! - Vintage Revivals 30.04.2014 at 20:05

[…] first discovered this little nugget of love while I was decorating my living room.  It was life changing.  I have been itching to do another one ever since and Alicia’s […]

• Decorate the Hallway Like a Room | Habitat 2 Home 02.05.2014 at 05:26

[…] lines on white and white lines on black).  I would create the pattern with Sharpie Paint Pens ala Mandi’s Sharpie Wallpaper.  That might be too busy, though, since I love the simpleness of the black and […]

• Lindsay 26.05.2014 at 05:33

Hey!!! Loved this post the moment I saw it and just got around to do it in our bedroom today and it looks FREAKING AMAZING!!! The whole time I was doing it I was whispering to myself “Oh my gosh this looks so cool” … for reals, like 50 times haha I did gold paint on a tan wall and I love it!! The design shows beautifully but is still subtle and it was sooo easy 😀 Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful post!! 😀

• DIY Sharpie Projects | The Budget Decorator 28.05.2014 at 00:35

[…] Mandi at Vintage Revivals (congrats 2014 BHG blogger of the year!) this DIY sharpie wallpaper is really an amazing way to create what you need out of just about nothing. This looks on trend and […]

• Jess 10.06.2014 at 07:50

Thank you for so much inspiration for me and my boyfriends new apartment. I’ve been raving about you on my blog and I did my entire dining room with gold sharpie paint pens and it turned out fantastic! I gave all credit to you and linked back to here. If you ever get the chance to check it out you can see the before and after here:

LOVE YOU TO PIECES
    Jess Feavel

• 12 Ways to make over your home with a Sharpie | News 12 22.06.2014 at 16:19

[…] Photo credit: Vintage Revivals […]

• 8 idées déco à faire avec un crayon Sharpie | La Limonade | La Limonade 23.06.2014 at 14:15

[…] Motifs géométriques – vintagerevivals.com […]

• Easy DIY Wall Stencil with a Paint Pen - All Things With Purpose 23.06.2014 at 14:39

[…] this wall needed something and I’ve been inspired by other  creative ladies like Vintage Revivals and stencil patterns like this one. I chose the simplest pattern I could think of and […]

• Andrea 27.06.2014 at 05:28

What do you think if I tried this on a turquoise/teal accent wall. Do you think the gold would show up??

• Mandi 27.06.2014 at 16:25

I think it would! Do you have the paint? Maybe do a test on a painted piece of paper?

• Andrea 27.06.2014 at 22:50

Thank you!! Good idea☺️

• Easy DIY Wall Stencil with a Paint Pen 28.06.2014 at 14:32

[…] I felt like this wall needed something and I’ve been inspired by other creative ladies like Vintage Revivals and stencil patterns like this one. I chose the simplest pattern I could think of and decided to […]

• DIY Triangle Wall | story 3o4 29.07.2014 at 03:32

[…] on the blog, Vintage Revivals, by the talented Mandi Gubler. We pretty much followed Mandi’s tutorial except that we made our triangles smaller. I couldn’t find the exact paint marker that she […]

• Rachelle Wechsler 07.08.2014 at 05:28

I absolutely LOVE this idea! I’m a designer and I’ve been brainstorming ways to tackle white apartment walls without leaving tons of nail holes or having to do some serious repainting during move-out time (as if moving out wasn’t bad enough). I browsed Sharpie’s website and reviewed the water and oil-based paint pens and their lists of suggested uses, but none of them included walls or cleaning methods. I know for regular Sharpies, although permanent, are not so permanent with some elbow grease. So this leaves me with a few questions for you…

How easy is it to clean the surface with the Sharpie marker applied to it? Do you have to treat the walls with water-based paint pens and oil-based paint pens differently when cleaning? Have you noticed any smearing or fading caused from rubbing or wiping? What cleansers do you use (or stay away from) on the walls with the paint pens? Do you feel as if this wall application would be tolerable for a bathroom setting with a humid environment?

Sorry for all the questions! As a fellow designer, I’m sure you understand how there are tons of things to consider before starting a project;)

• Paint Pen Arrow Nursery Wall 18.08.2014 at 14:01

[…] a week after the initial three. I remembered an awesome wall treatment from the fabulous Mandi at Vintage Revivals blog, something I’ve had on the back burner to try on a wall in our house for some time now. […]

• Design Love: Wall Doodles | Brave, Wild & Free 26.08.2014 at 13:21

[…] {clockwise}: Headboard, Gold Triangles, Green […]

• Pieces of Flair | the gold brick road 26.08.2014 at 14:41

[…] found this tutorial on Pinterest, where they drew a geometric shape on the walls with a gold Sharpie paint pen. Easy […]

• the one... where I need help - Lisa Davies Design 05.09.2014 at 02:20

[…] source […]

• Como fazer: parede decorada com canetinha | Minha casa, minha cara 12.09.2014 at 07:05

[…] Para este projeto, 3 canetas foram usadas – mas repare que ainda assim é barato. Algumas horas foram perdidas, mas menos do que seriam se a decoração da parede fosse feita com tinta, papel de parede ou estêncil. Importante: fazer as guias para seu desenho com régua e lápis e usar um medidor de nível pra conferir se está tudo retinho. Veja o passo a passo completo aqui. […]

• A Gold, Bold Geometric Sharpie Wall - The Bold Abode 16.09.2014 at 20:59

[…] wall was totally inspired by Mandi’s, but I did mix it up a […]

• Elissa 04.10.2014 at 15:09

I really want to do a wall like this in my office! I understand that you used a level to keep the lines straight but I don’t understand how you managed to create the initial horizontal lines. Did you use something to trace? Would it make since if I used one of those level/laser beam things?

• Trinker Home Renovation: Progress So Far! » Morgan Trinker Photography | Birmingham, AL 17.10.2014 at 13:41

[…] delicious shade of green (with a white Sharpie pen pattern on top thanks to the brilliant Mandi of Vintage Revivals). Bonus? The newly arranged gallery wall somehow pops even more against the bold color. And I love […]

• Wallpaper Love Vintage | Free Hot Wallpaper 23.10.2014 at 18:15

[…] DIY Sharpie Wallpaper Tutorial – Vintage Revivals – I am so IN LOVE with today’s project I want to lick my wall. Remember last week when we chatted about overcoming a major project/idea fail?… […]

• Playing with gold Sharpie - Cuckoo4Design 22.11.2014 at 20:07

[…] sharpie projects on Pinterest. The gold Sharpie has been everywhere. One of my favorite projects is Mandy from Vintage Revival’s gold Sharpie wallpaper. She is so awesome. Speaking of Mandy, I almost fell of my chair two days ago when I saw that she […]

• The Powder Room! - Cuckoo4Design 23.11.2014 at 02:27

[…] Sharpie as well. For the mirror and the walls I only needed two water-based Sharpies! After reading Mandy’s (Vintage Revivals) post about her Sharpie wallpaper where she recommends using water based Sharpies so you wouldn’t […]

• Thomas 22.12.2014 at 11:04

Definitely a great alternative to more expensive painting options!

• Geometric Accent Wall | She Loves happy 02.01.2015 at 17:01

[…] that added dimension but wasn’t too crazy since it’s a smaller space. When I found this tutorial on Vintage Revivals I knew this was it! All it requires is a straight edge and a Sharpie paint pen. It has to be a […]

• Happy Happy 2015!! - My Blog 05.01.2015 at 16:24

[…] And finally, it wouldn’t be a true “break” if I didn’t get a few projects done around the house. Today I’m sharing my DIY gold sharpie wallpaper accent wall!!!!  I’m in love with how it turned out.  For $6 (2 gold sharpie water-based paint pens from Micheals) and 2 hours of work, it sure makes an awesome impact!!  I found the project on pinterest via vintage revivials.  Love Mandi’s blog.  So much awesome inspiration!!!  Her full tutorial can be found here. […]

• Top 10 DIY Living Room Decoration Ideas 12.01.2015 at 17:56

[…] via vintagerevivals.com […]

• Nesting with Morgan Trinker » The Birmingham Bride 15.01.2015 at 16:01

[…] delicious shade of green (with a white Sharpie pen pattern on top thanks to the brilliant Mandi of VINTAGE REVIVALS). Bonus? The newly arranged gallery wall somehow pops even more against the bold color. And I love […]

• Wallpaper Alternatives Diy | Wallpapers 20.01.2015 at 03:28

[…] DIY Sharpie Wallpaper Tutorial – Vintage Revivals … – See More Popular Projects Like This One! DIY Wallpaper With A Sharpie! DIY Retro Diamond Focal Wall; Sherwin-Williams 2015 Color of The Year Is… The Nugget: Retro …… […]

• Orange + Velvet = Wow! | Feliz 23.01.2015 at 03:41

[…] Image sources: 1|2|3|4|5|6 Orange is obviously still a hot colour this season and seems to have carried over […]

• Triangles on my Walls (Hallway Improvement Part 3) | clarkuscat 23.01.2015 at 13:52

[…] months ago I found this tutorial on Vintage Revivals and fell in love. I’ve already done one Vintage Revivals copycat project, […]

• Hallway Paint: DIY Graphic Pattern with Sharpie Pen | clarkuscat 30.01.2015 at 14:59

[…] this pizzazz in my hallway, I followed the same basic plan that I used in my bedroom (adapted from Vintage Revivals). The only change I made this time was to create a stencil. Since the pattern was just repeating […]

• Try It Tuesday - Sharpie Wallpaper - Domestic CharmDomestic Charm 17.02.2015 at 12:39

[…] here is the Sharpie wallpaper from Vintage Revivals. […]

• Internet Tutorial Money Tree Wallpaper | payourmoney.com 18.02.2015 at 14:00

[…] DIY Sharpie Wallpaper Tutorial – Vintage Revivals – See More Popular Projects Like This One! DIY Wallpaper With A Sharpie! DIY Retro Diamond Focal Wall; Sherwin-Williams 2015 Color of The Year Is… The Nugget: Retro …… […]

• big boy bedroom inspiration {and sharing a room, no less} | Let's Fête 18.02.2015 at 18:35

[…] 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | blue no longer available but similar here 10 | 11 […]

• 12 Projects To Make From An Old Leather Couch - Vintage Revivals 08.06.2015 at 18:47

[…] (Sharpie Wall Tutorial | Himmeli Wreath Tutorial) […]

• Alicia’s Office Reveal - Vintage Revivals 08.06.2015 at 18:51

[…] wall treatment was another fun Sharpie Wall (you can see the first one here! and the tutorial for this one here) I learned a few new things this time around, so you will want […]

• Simple (and Temporary!) Patterned Planters - Vintage Revivals 08.06.2015 at 18:53

[…] know Mandi’s amazing sharpie wall? Did you know they also make water based marker pens? I’m obsessed. They sell them at the […]

• DIY Sharpie Walls 09.06.2015 at 11:00

[…] Mandi’s DIY Sharpie Wall that got our wheels turning. She’s the […]

• Christine 22.07.2015 at 01:36

Do you know if the sharpie will smudge or run if used in a bathroom because of heat or steam? Thanks!

• 8 Awesome Projects To Make Using Sharpies | BargainMoose Canada 05.08.2015 at 00:01

[…] is amazing and looks like it is so much more expensive than it is. Check out the DIY wallpaper on Vintage Revivals. For this project, they used a Sharpie paint pen instead of a Sharpie marker, but the effect is […]

• Sophie 14.08.2015 at 16:22

Did it in my entryway! Looks so great! Wish I could post a picture! (Sorry for my english, Im french speaker)

• Beyond Paint! 7 Inspiring Wall Materials To Consider | 14.08.2015 at 21:17