Friends! I hope you had a fab holiday season!! I am having a hard time getting back into the swing of things. I started writing my 2012 project wrap up post and wanted to kill myself…so I stopped. I am in Salt Lake right now with my family and so technically I am still on vacay…don't judge.
Last year I wrote a post about the things I learned in 2011 and it was so great for me to see, written out, things I need to remember. The best thing to get me out of a slump is to write. So that is what we are doing today. I am going to share with you a few of the lessons I learned this year.
1. You never know who is reading your blog. Sometimes I feel like I am talking to myself, which is fine, but its really easy to forget that there could be ANYONE on the other side of that computer screen. I have a few REALLY amazing things that are in the works because of this little old blog and I am so grateful
2. There is a difference between Pageviews and Influence. The best blogs have a combo of both (think Young House Love or A Beautiful Mess). If you are caught in the pageview comparison cycle STOP IT. The # of pageviews that you have does not dictate your awesomeness.
3. We have all been in this situation. You come up with some crazy awesome idea for a project and are SO excited about it. You execute said project and tell your friend about it and they say the most dreaded words known to a creative gal…”Oh! I just saw that on Pinterest!” GAH! This exact situation happened to me with my Toilet Paper Roll Stamped Lampshade
So here is what I have to say about that. SO WHAT. Just because someone else had a same/similar idea that you had doesn't devalue your creative process at all. It was still a great idea! I think with the creation of Pinterest our creative world just keeps getting smaller and smaller BUT that doesn't need to make us feel like our ideas are getting less and less fantastic. They are fantastic!
4. We have all heard a million times to Be Yourself. So many times in fact that we don't even hear it anymore. But guess what? As amazing as other people are and as much as we want to be like them…we cant. So don't even attempt it. Hands down my favorite compliment to get from a reader is when they say “You are EXACTLY like you are on your blog.”
5. There is more to life than blogging. (GASP!) Sometimes you just have to walk away for a minute even if you don't want to.
I love you all more than you will ever ever know. Thank you for being such fantastic friends!
Love Your Guts, Mandi