Mandilicious Christmas Project 1: Color Pop Cord Lamp

DIY Color Pop Cord Lamp[5]

You.Guys. I am SO excited about this series.

Mandilicious Christmas Budget Gift Ideas[3]

The holiday season is here and I can guarantee that 98% of us still have people that we need to find the perfect gift for.   But who wants Hickory Farms or Bath and Body Works?    Every day this week I am showing you a project that you can make for someone you like/love/want to blow their socks off. The projects range from simple simple to a little less simple but still really doable. Can you feel the gift giving happiness oozing from my ears? Cause it is.

Oh and I should mention that each of these projects cost less than $30!

So bust out your holiday cheer and lets get to work!

DIY Color Pop Cord Lamp Tutorial

This project will range from Free-$40 depending on what you have on hand.   The 2 main elements that you need are a vase and a bottle cord kit.  You can use any type of vase, I found this one at Target for $12.00.  You will also need a Bottle Lamp Kit.   I got mine from Lowes for around $10.  Make sure you check your thrift store for vases (I regularly find them for $2.00.)

How To Make A Lamp

You are going to start by painting your cord.  Now.  Lets have a mini chat for a moment.  Did you know that you cannot spray paint rubber?  Its true.  The paint will never cure.  SO as easy as it would be to spray paint this cord, its just not the best option.  I dug through my paint stash and found a sample paint from Lowes and brushed it on with a sponge brush.  You want it to touch as little as possible while it is drying.  This is what I rigged to hold it:

016

I know.  Its awesome enough to be patented.

While your paint is drying its time to drill your vase.  You are going to drill 2 holes.  One on the bottom, or top depending on how you look at it (for the socket etc.) and one on the side for your cord to come out.  Its not scary I PROMISE.  I have even made you a video tutorial so you can see just how UNscary it is to drill through glass.  You can purchase the drill bit that you need at Lowes also.  Here is a link so you know EXACTLY what to buy!

How To Make A Lamp Out Of A Vase

Now its time to start assembling.  You are going to take the small threaded pipe that came in your Bottle Lamp Kit and put the large decorative washer on one end and the small nut right behind it.  Feed it through the hole at the new top of your vase.

Making A Lamp Out Of A Vase

Then you are going to take your socket apart (it will come assembled in the kit.)  Just pull the top part off and you will have 3 separate pieces.

056

This is where you have 2 options.  Depending on the lampshade that you are using you may or may not need a harp base.  If you do need one,  you’ll need to get one at Lowes (or jack it from an old lamp like I did….)  Most lampshades from Target attach to the socket and not to a harp FYI.

Put your harp base on and then take the bottom of your socket and screw it on to the threaded pipe that is sticking out of the top of your vase (you may need to loosen the teeny screw that is on the side of this in order to screw it onto the pipe!)

067

Then starting in the bottom second hole that you drilled (the one on the side) feed your cord through (carefully so you don’t scratch your paint!) and up through the treaded pipe.

Yellow Cord

Wire your socket according to the instructions on the package, and you are DONE!! (Isn’t it beautiful?!)

078

This lamp is a KILLER way to personalize a gift for someone that you love!

Cords are normally the bane of my DIY existence.  (I cant tell you how may times I have said someone needs to invent a battery powered light bulb.)  But the whole reason this project is adorbs is because of the cord.  So show it off!  Make sure that you have as much of the cord in the lamp as possible!

DIY Color Pop Cord Lamp

102

098

105

So what do you think?  Do you have someone on your list that could use this sweet lamp?

DIY Color Pop Cord Lamp Tutorial

Love Your Guts, Mandi

Follow Vintage Revivals on Pinterest!Lets Be Friends!!  Vintage Revivals on Facebook!Tweet Me!!  Vintage Revivals on Twitter!Image Map

• Nat 26.11.2012 at 13:12

I love it! What a great way to showcase that useless cord! Bravo girl! Can’t wait to see what else is in the works! :)
    Nat

• jamie @ [kreyv] 26.11.2012 at 13:19

Love! Can’t wait to see your other projects!

• Caitlin @ Desert Domicile 26.11.2012 at 13:32

LOVE this! I can’t wait to see the what else you have hiding up your sleeve for this series!

• MindySchaper 26.11.2012 at 14:07

Great project.

• Kelly 26.11.2012 at 15:37

Your amazing! This project is so fun. BTW – since you mentioned battery powered light bulbs…have you seen the tutorial from Kelly @ View Along the Way about how to make any lamp cordless? http://www.viewalongtheway.com/2012/08/lamp-hack-how-to-make-any-lamp-cordless/

• Anonymous 26.11.2012 at 18:20

I have seen these sold online, way to make a cheap version!

• Morgan Williams 26.11.2012 at 18:22

LOVE this & may have to try this out & use up some of the clear vases i have stored away from flower deliveries!! thank you!! yor rock .. as always!

• Anonymous 26.11.2012 at 19:59

I like what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work and exposure!
    Keep up the very good works guys I’ve included you guys to my blogroll.
    Feel free to surf my web blog ; cheap cigarettes

• Lauren Michelle 26.11.2012 at 20:39

I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I think you are so craftfully (you deserve a made up word) brilliant. I’m so so so excited you are doing this Christmas series cuz I’m BROKE but I still want thoughtful gifts for my family/friends. YAY so excited! You’re my favorite blog! I love all your ideas! and best of all you make the directions so easy to follow..THANK YOU! Excited to see what the rest of this series will hold! love your guts too!!

• ker 26.11.2012 at 22:24

Okay, like hecks yeah I’m going to make one of these. The drilling of glass is little un-nerving to me, but I’ll be a big girl and suck it up and go for it! Because I loveee this project so much and so will my mommy! Thanks for the inspirational idea. Mandi rocks, once again!

• Anonymous 27.11.2012 at 02:39

Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your
    site, how could i subscribe for a blog website?
    The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been
    tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept
    My website: Work from home

• Dear Emmeline 27.11.2012 at 20:57

awesome!

• Kim @ ReFound Vintage 27.11.2012 at 21:59

love this! such a great idea, thanks for sharing

• Infarrantly Creative 27.11.2012 at 22:00

I love it Mand! It is so cute, what a fun way to bring out the pop of color. So Mandi!

• Melissa Louise 28.11.2012 at 05:23

…but I totally bought you tons of Bath and Body Works for Christmas….

• London Escorts 28.11.2012 at 09:50

This looks so kool….far better than other expensive lamps available in market

• Julia 29.11.2012 at 02:33

Love it..and I have a quick question..Do you think using the krylon spray paint for outdoor plastic would work on the cord? Julia from Sweet Serendipity

• Mark & Nicki Wintch 29.11.2012 at 05:09

So cute! And the little wooden guy in the pics looks familiar! Us “sisters” were with you when you found him!! Hope you are doing well!

• Rachelthefantastic 21.02.2013 at 03:46

This is so amazing! I cannot wait to do this with some of the old vases I have lying around that I can’t figure out what to do with! Thanks for such a great idea! : )

• 16 DIY Lamp Makeovers and Ideas 20.02.2014 at 19:17

[…] Color Pop Cord Lamp from Vintage Revivals […]

• Lioness 23.03.2014 at 17:16

You probably won’t see this comment but l was so chuffed l’d found this post, l have recently decided to embrace colour and was all ready to start but my husband, the house geek, decided that cords cannot be painted blabla electricity blabla danger. So now l’m crushed and will have to reaort to finding a yellow cord, which should be fun here. Hope you’re enjoying your lamp and thanks you so much for the inspiration, it looks absolutely gorgeous!

• 11 DIY Christmas Gift Ideas - East Coast Creative Blog 27.10.2014 at 19:28

[…] DIY Color Pop Cord Lamp from Vintage Revivals. Leave it to Mandi to come up with something totally awesome. And get this, […]

• Vintage Revivals | Mandilicious Christmas Project 4: Book Letters 25.06.2015 at 16:00

[…] Mandilicious Christmas Project 3: Stamped Ombre Lampshade Mandilicious Christmas Project 2: DIY Gold Leaf Art Mandilicicous Christmas Project 5: Copper Leafed Concrete Candle Pillars Mandilicious Christmas Project 1: Color Pop Cord Lamp […]