$150 Guest Room Makeover Reveal

I have been in Salt Lake for a marathon makeover and IT. WAS. AWESOME.

Studio 5 challenged me to makeover one readers room for only $150.  Can you believe this before and after?!!

$150 Before and After Room Makeover

This whole room was redone in basically 2 days, which is a miracle in and of itself.

Gray Wall

I should note that the carpet was not included in the $150,  BUT there was a huge rush to get it installed in time so I have to give a HUGE thank you to Lemco, Professional Flooring, and Shaw Contract Group, for pushing the order ahead oh, about 6 weeks.

$150 Room Makeover

The paint colors on the wall are Ultra White, and Iron Ore both by Sherwin Williams.

095

There are loads of tutorials coming on every element but let me break down where my budget went.

The upholstered tufted headboard was the most expensive element in the space, coming in at $69.00.

Tufted Headboard

The striped pillows were made with one yard of fabric from Ikea for $7.99

Striped Pillows 1

The dresser was a $10 thrifted treasure that was updated with a coat of spray paint and new handles made out of a thrifted leather belt, pink paint and hex screws.

Updated Dresser

The vases, books and fun figurines were either thrifted or found in Gritt’s house.

$150 Room Makeover

The hanging lantern was something I found in St. George probably 9 months ago and hadn’t found a home for, so I brought it up in hopes that we could use it in the room.  I love how it replaces the need for a table lamp and frees up the entire dresser top.

$10 Thrifted Lantern

The safe was a HUGE obstacle…literally.  It needed to stay in that spot and after running through a ton of ideas on ways to hide it, I decided that we just needed to embrace it and make it part of the room design.  So we striped the wall behind it and glammed it up with some decorating and now its not such an eyesore.

Safe Before and After

Once of my FAVORITE elements is the denim patchwork herringbone throw (remember when I wrote about it here?).  The room is so crisp and clean and I felt like it needed an element of grunge.

Denim Patchwork Herringbone Throw

And last but not least the clock art.  Sigh. Isn’t it just dreamy?

Color Blocked Clock

Check out the Studio 5 reveal segment FULL of tips and tricks to help you redo a space on a tiny budget:

And if you want to see what I am like behind the scenes watch the blooper reel:

And don’t forget there is only ONE WEEK left to enter your room for the Epic Room Makeover Giveaway and have me come to YOUR house and overhaul it for FREEEEEEEEEEEE!  If I can do this with $150, just think what kind of magic can happen with THOUSANDS!!  Serious magic people.  Serious magic. Click the image to learn more!

Vintage Revivals-Epic-Room-Makeover-Horizontal

All of the tutorials for Gritt’s room are coming over the next week or so, so stay tuned!

$150 Before and After Room Makeover

Love Your Guts, Mandi

Follow Vintage Revivals on Pinterest!Lets Be Friends!!  Vintage Revivals on Facebook!Tweet Me!!  Vintage Revivals on Twitter!Image Map

• Summer 30.08.2012 at 15:37

Amazing, Mandi – as usual!

• Carwin Candids 30.08.2012 at 15:43

So great! I am in LOVE with the dresser pulls!

• ABrooks 30.08.2012 at 15:44

i love the belt! genius.

• Nat 30.08.2012 at 15:44

I love it! Glad you mentioned the carpet…couldn’t figure it out watching the clip! Love what you did, totally inspired to finish my daughters room! :) Thanks!

• Kelli @ Life at 818 30.08.2012 at 15:48

wow and wow.. I LOVE IT! And I love that you/they have the book by Jen Lancaster! She’s hilarious! Great wonderful fantastic job

• Dear Emmeline 30.08.2012 at 15:52

thunk! that was my jaw hitting the floor! such a dramatic improvement! colors are gorgeous. The light and dresser are my favorites! :)

• Dharma 30.08.2012 at 15:53

The BOMB you are. As Yoda would say. So cute. The room too 😉

• Chrystal A. 30.08.2012 at 16:06

I love it-so fresh and fun! And I actually love the corner with the safe too!

• Kaysi 30.08.2012 at 16:07

This is amazing! I love everything about it

• Kendra@My Insanity 30.08.2012 at 16:07

You rocked the socks out of that $150 makeover. It looks like a million bucks! You are a star!! Amazing!

• Lindsey Marlor 30.08.2012 at 16:09

you are amazinggggggggggggggg! love it all!

• Amy 30.08.2012 at 16:20

AMAZING!! Seriously amazing. I love love love the clock wall art, and the drawer pulls? GENIUS! Love the whole room….you have a gift Mandi!

• Angie 30.08.2012 at 16:25

Love the transformation!!! Awesome work as usual!

• Amy {The Idea Room} 30.08.2012 at 16:33

you are amazing Mandi!!! You did such a great job! Come see me now :)!!

• iheartorganizing 30.08.2012 at 16:55

Mandi, this is absolutely incredible! I love. it. all. soooo much! You are so resourceful and bring such a whimsical and unique touch to everything you do! Kudos on a tight budget makeover that looks priceless!

xo!
    Jen

• Sawdust and Paperscraps 30.08.2012 at 16:59

What a transformation. I love the pink paint in the inside of the leather belt pulls. Wish I would have thought of that when I did mine in my workshop. I should take them off that do that in bright yellow to match all my DeWalt tools. LOL Love all the elements and the budget. It’s hard to do much for $150 anymore. Great job.

• Melinda 30.08.2012 at 17:08

I actually really like the safe now! The striped wall seriously makes it awesome, you are so dang inspiring!

• Mandy @ This Girl's Life 30.08.2012 at 17:36

It looks amazing! I really love the charcoal gray wall and bright accessories.

• Ash 30.08.2012 at 17:48

omg, i’m glad you could work the safe in, i love it! i would die if i owned something like that.

• Kimberly 30.08.2012 at 17:53

LOVE that nightstand!!! God has blessed you with such talent!! For real!

• 2busy 30.08.2012 at 18:47

Amazing! I can’t believe what just $150 and some creativity can do!

• Anonymous 30.08.2012 at 18:49

Okay I am in love with the Headboard!!! How did you do that?

• Little Paper Dog 30.08.2012 at 18:49

Holy flip! You are so amazingly talented! I sort of want a huge obnoxious pipe in my room now — you totally made it work in the space.

• Michelle 30.08.2012 at 19:07

this turned out so beautiful! I’d love for you to come give me some guidance!! P.S. how did you braid your hair.. it’s super cute!!

• Rhiannon 30.08.2012 at 19:15

i love the makeover you never disapoint. totally bummed you cant come to hawaii though!! :-(

• holly 30.08.2012 at 19:43

wow!! that looks amazing!!!! now i’m even more excited for you to come to atlanta to help me makeover my master! (too forward?) you have some serious talent, girlie, and i would love to learn from you!!

ps—fetch? you are too cute. 😉

• Chris Johnnie 30.08.2012 at 19:54

It is really hard not to be jealous of your talent. I have to (try) to repent every time I see a makeover or project you do. It’s hard. I really wish I had your talent. I knew after your first couple of projects that I highlighted that you “had it.” I knew if you kept going, you would surpass the “big bloggers.” You’ve left them in the dust. Congrads on your success. Thank you for sharing yourself, your views, your perspective and talents with the world. DO you realize HOW you have literally changed the WORLD? People dream of what you have already done in just 2(?) years. You are amazing. (I’m on my husband’s computer. This is Michelle from Someday Crafts).

• Infarrantly Creative 30.08.2012 at 21:23

Oh course I watched the blooper real first because that is how I roll. Amazing job and I can’t believe you did it for $150. Rock on with your thrifty lovin’ self.

• Duffin Family 30.08.2012 at 22:38

Amazing! It turned out fabulous!!!

• Jenna at Homeslice 30.08.2012 at 23:14

It looks awesome, especially for such a teeny budget. I think the safe is actually kind of great- especially with the accessories, etc.

• Ashley MulberryTree 30.08.2012 at 23:55

HO LY CRAP! That’s all I have to say.

• Katie 31.08.2012 at 02:07

Great job on this room! Love the pops of color–you have such an eye for design!

• Jenn 31.08.2012 at 03:50

Oh my goodness! Mandi this is so cool! I can’t even decide what I like best. I love the pop of color, the awesome drawer handles, and lighting. What’s not to love in this room?!

Jenn

• melissa * 320 Sycamore 31.08.2012 at 11:06

YOU ROCK! I love those leather handles and how you pulled it all together on a tight budget. And you are beautiful.

• Erin @ His and Hers 31.08.2012 at 12:01

A leather belt for drawer pulls? Is there anything you DON’T think of?! I marvel at the way your brain works. :)

• Anonymous 31.08.2012 at 16:25

Mandi it was so much fun seeing you and watching you work your magic on this room! Amazing that you did it for !50.98! The closet doors were totally transformed. Great makeover as always.

lin

• Anonymous 31.08.2012 at 16:37

I hate when you see people say I did this on a budget…it costs 1,000 bucks! Now that’s a budget with results!

• Rebecca 31.08.2012 at 17:50

Excellent job! The colors are fantastic, it’s relaxing and inspiring at the same time. What a great space!

• Stacey 31.08.2012 at 19:05

I love it! You are amazing. I was worried when you said you needed old jeans, but I love the quilt. Every element is so perfect. I really need to get my act together and enter the epic makeover b/c i really love everything you do.

• Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com 31.08.2012 at 19:06

You deserve all the success you are reaping. You are an absolute breath of fresh air! I wish I had just a smidge of your confidence.

• Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick 31.08.2012 at 19:19

Awesome girl!! This is fantastic, I especially love those drawer pulls.

• DIY Show Off 31.08.2012 at 23:02

You did an awesome job on that tiny budget, Mandi! Wow!

• Nutbird 01.09.2012 at 00:43

Wow, I didn’t expect that! You fully incorporated the air conditioning vent. Great job. These people have a gun safe in their guest room?Ann

• DNBursky 01.09.2012 at 03:04

How did you make the headboard?

• * Nancy * 01.09.2012 at 05:02

WOW!! Amazing makeover – in awe!!

• Anonymous 01.09.2012 at 11:32

Inspiring. I love the way you think outside the box and it works!

• Suzanne Winter 01.09.2012 at 19:11

LOVE LOVE LOVE – I think the safe is my favorite thing in the room (but I’m weird like that). I love the stripes behind it and how they play off the striped pillows in the room. And that lamp…. mmmmmmm mmmmmm good ;o) You are a genius!

• cheapest divan beds 02.09.2012 at 06:20

That was really great! Just like a perfect makeover, it fits my budget.

• Anja 02.09.2012 at 08:48

What a fun project! I love the colors you chose, and the headboard is really great, too =) Most of the times, the budget isn’t the problem, but the lack of creativity, so that’s what you bring to the table!

• Elli 02.09.2012 at 11:49

amazing for this budget!!so cool!!and what a LAMP!!
    congats!!!

• Leanne 03.09.2012 at 02:04

Mandi, this room is amazing! I love all the little details you always put in your rooms.

• TMykula 04.09.2012 at 03:47

Ok, so you did an absolutely fabulous job. I’m totally stealing the leather belt upcycled to drawer pulls idea. Where do you come up with this stuff?! But what I really want to know is where did you get your purple jeans you’re wearing in the footage? I tried on a pair at H&M but they were a no go. My kids have been asking me for colored skinnies for back to school and it got me thinking that maybe I need to bust out a pair. I was leaning toward royal blue but now I’m digging red or purple. Any tips on where to find great fitting, not over priced colored jeans?

• ournextgreatadventure 04.09.2012 at 16:36

I can’t wait to learn how you made the clock wall art! It’s gorgeous! The whole room is beautiful. I can’t believe how little you spent.
    Sarah

• Natasha 05.09.2012 at 02:23

you.are.awesome.
    I am obsessed with the leather handled dresser. I don’t even know how you think of this stuff!!

• Autumn T. 06.09.2012 at 12:36

NEED clock art info!!!!!!! Love. Love. Love.

• Diane Streicher @ Diane Again 08.09.2012 at 04:08

it’s so interesting to learn about your creative energies..how you work from identifying the problems to generating new ideas to implementing them on an extreme budget. i’d write more, but you have inspired me to get up out of this chair and start doing stuff!

• Another One Bites the Dust | Habitat 2 Home 22.04.2014 at 03:15

[…] Ahhhh…so much better… You are looking at the Ikea Ottava pendant light…the copper cake molds are thrifted.  How good would they look against a dark charcoal gray wall? Something like Sherwin Williams Iron Ore? SO GOOD!  Like the wall in this Vintage Revivals $150 Guest Room Makeover. […]

• deb 08.07.2014 at 16:06

Is there a tutorial for the leather drawer pulls? And a source for the hex screws? I’ve been having trouble finding both.

• Vintage Revivals | Tufted White Headboard For Only $69.00 25.06.2015 at 16:06

[…] Don’t forget to check out the other amazing tutorials in the $150 room makeover: […]

• Vintage Revivals | Leather Belt Dresser Pulls 25.06.2015 at 16:07

[…] What do you do when you have approximately $10 to spend on replacing outdated drawer pulls? (Pssst… you get CREATIVE!) This is one of my favorite projects from Mandi’s Fall Facelift. […]