Redemption.

Once upon a time (6 days ago) Craft Wars aired.  And I got my butt kicked off.  In my recap post I called the birdhouse that I presented to the judges the “Inbred 3rd Cousin” of the birdhouse in my mind.

I did a segment on Studio 5 today and showed off what I could do with an extra 10 minutes. (Actually it took a little longer than that because I hand painted the front.  BUT.  That is without Jilly by my side.  And we all know that she is the real muscle of the operation.)

Just to remind you, this is what the birdhouse from the show looked like:

And with a little paint and a few more minutes this is what it would have looked like.

Craft Wars BirdhouseBirdhouse

Still not my FAVORITE project, but much better.

Here is the Studio 5 video if you want to watch

If you came to the party you can link up your posts and recipes at Bridgey Widgey now (I will be posting mine tomorrow!!)

Love  Your  Guts,  Mandi

• Melissa 09.07.2012 at 20:49

I never lost my faith in you girl. Love it. Totally cute. You would have won. Ya got robbed! Ok, I like the concept of the show Craft Wars, but a few things need to be tweaked. One of them being the time limit. One hour?! What the crap are you going to do with one stinking hour? Browse Pinterest? Uhhh play around online? Certainly not create a winning crafty item on a tv show. They should give you like a day. Or at least 4-5 hours so you can actually show off some of your talent & not just throw a bunch of junk together. Seriously…the show is disappointing to me & I’m not very interested in watching anymore.

• Emily 09.07.2012 at 20:57

Oh Mandi it looks great spray painted! It’s always hard to convince others of what you are imagining in your head-the toils of a crafter!
    Well done!!

Emily

• Angeline 09.07.2012 at 21:02

My kids and I looove watching Craft Wars and it was so.much.fun. seeing “Mandi!” on the program – Felt like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon :) I thought your idea was super awesome!

• Sunday 09.07.2012 at 21:13

Redemption is right! Your bird house is adorable and so are you. I was so excited to watch you on the episode and I felt so bad for you! Great job Mandi!!

• Tanya from Dans le Townhouse 09.07.2012 at 21:13

You did get robbed! This version is super cool and really fresh looking. Proves what an insane difference a coat of paint makes!

• Julia @ 551Eastdesign 09.07.2012 at 21:15

Tweet this….haha LOVE it! A bird house with a little sass. What bird wouldn’t want to live in there? :)

• Kimberly from 'bugaboo' 09.07.2012 at 21:19

Well, now I love it. :)

• banclothing 09.07.2012 at 21:23

Although I had a wtf moment when I saw your original birdhouse, this looks amazing. The painted detail is great. I still think you are revolutionary and I love your creativity!

• Jill 09.07.2012 at 21:35

It’s great to see the realized vision. I knew you were going somewhere awesome with it!

• Diana @ AnyoneCanDecorate 09.07.2012 at 21:53

I love the “real” version… I agree there is no such thing as a BAD craft :) Just do and redo until you get it right!!! Love your blog, thanks for sharing!

• Unknown 09.07.2012 at 22:05

What a difference a coat of paint makes! I would vote for your birdhouse anytime!

• JennyLynn 09.07.2012 at 22:07

I wondered about how much time craft wars actually gave everyone. If it truly was a rush, rush to the end product. I think you did amazing. I love your redemption piece. Very cute!

• Nancy@OwensOlivia 09.07.2012 at 22:07

LMBO! I like the painted version better. Good call drilling a larger hole so a bird can fit in it.

• Charlotte 09.07.2012 at 22:09

Sorry you didn’t win, I thought this would be a great show but after watching two episodes, I decided that was enough. Won’t be watching anymore.

• Anita Houston 09.07.2012 at 22:30

AWESOME!!!!!!

• susan 09.07.2012 at 22:35

Mandi, yours was better than the other two even BEFORE you painted it. I mean c’mon…they said it should be “functional.” Foam core???? Playing cards??? Are you stinkin kidding me? Those judges are total nut jobs. You totally got robbed. Not sure if that makes you feel better or not but I just had to vent. :)

• Regena 09.07.2012 at 22:53

all the difference in the world. the updated birdhouse is stellar!

• Janel@hatingmartha 09.07.2012 at 22:59

You win in my book anyday…paint or not!! I knew what you were going for…and that it would look awesome!

• Anne 09.07.2012 at 23:38

I think it’s awesome!

• Laurie Jones 10.07.2012 at 00:25

The fact that you put yourself out there makes you a winner, I know that sounds cheesy but it’s totally true! You’ve got balls girl!!!

• Laura Lynn 10.07.2012 at 01:48

Love it painted! When my husband and I watched the show that is exactly what we thought would have won it for you – painting each stripe! Looks cute.

• Susan @ homeroad.net 10.07.2012 at 02:15

I knew where you were going with this and I think you got rooked…. That foam board birdhouse sure wasn’t weatherproof!
    Your finished birdhouse is great, any bird would be proud to live in there!
    Susan
    Homeroad

• Traci 10.07.2012 at 03:18

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! I love the ingenuity. You are so creative:)

• beccalouise 10.07.2012 at 06:32

I saw you on TV today, great job! Birdhouse looks awesome, if I had a tree to hang one in, I would totally get right on that.

• Serena 10.07.2012 at 07:34

You rocked that shyt! Take THAT, Tori! And THAT, TLC! **karate chop** LOL

Serena
    Thrift Diving

• Funky Junk Interiors 10.07.2012 at 08:12

Look. At. That!! Perfection! And you are just amazing on camera… wow! I know her, guys! I know her! :)

Donna

• cred 10.07.2012 at 12:48

I love this so much, I’m pinning it to make one like it. I just love it! Sorry that you got robbed- if you look at most crafts mid-process it will often look peculiar.

I love your vision and the ultimately redeeming results!

• Erin Wright 10.07.2012 at 13:08

Amazing…I had a feeling about this birdhouse! Its absolutely gorgeous! Sorry you didn’t win, but I am super excited about having a new craft blogger to follow!!!

• kellystar 10.07.2012 at 13:28

sorry you didn’t win on the show, this looks fabulous with the paint! For your crafty challenge with your friends…sorry, my vote goes to Margot’s this time.

• Anonymous 10.07.2012 at 14:29

Girl, it’s time to move on with grace. We can’t all win everything. You’re sounding a bit like a bad sport :(

• Anonymous 10.07.2012 at 16:54

Go bite the wall negative Nancy, find another blog to spread ur misery.

• Anonymous 10.07.2012 at 20:35

No misery, just honesty. I think she’s very talented, but there’s a lot to say about losing with your head held high.

• Anonymous 12.07.2012 at 04:04

Jealousy now there’s something to be said about that.

• Mark Bremer 14.07.2012 at 18:44

Dude, I agree. My kid knows how to lose without throwing a tantrum.

• tami bayer 10.07.2012 at 15:20

Thrilled to see it finished! Great redemption. I’m loving this after the show challenge series everyone is doing. Tweet this is a fun little addition, too.

• Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com 10.07.2012 at 15:20

That is total awesome sauce! I knew you got robbed! Just a few more minutes and you would have been $10,000 richer. And I’m sure you would have shared that with your loyal followers, right?!!

• Anonymous 10.07.2012 at 16:07

I so thought your house was awsome and was hoping you would get time to paint the whole thing white. You were robbed!

• VacationBarbie 10.07.2012 at 17:00

I agree with the first poster about more time. All of these shows need to give more time to to complete the project, not hours and hours, but at least a reasonable amount of time. For example: I’m a hairstylist and our chief complaint about Shear Genius was, no one wants to see crappy work and some of the challenges are seriously impossible to finish given the time it takes just to process some of the colors or the application technique itself. I’ve noticed the same thing with Design Star and they seemed to have tweeked it a bit this season to give the contestants a little more time to actually turn out some decent work. Even with extra time you can still ‘see’ the people who have more time management skills, while seeing some awesome cool stuff from the others. It’s like the difference between a 15 minute Super Cut hair cut and the 45-60 minute ones I do. 😉

• Ladydoc 10.07.2012 at 18:22

Very charming contemporary style and definitely functional!

• jarland65 10.07.2012 at 19:13

I watched Craft Wars last night (It was taped) and I couldn’t believe you were eliminated! There is no way the other two bird houses could withstand the elements. The guys bird house was so boring, how was that a craft? I love what you did with the bird house after the show, I also loved it on the show but the colors(paint) you used made it PERFECT!!
    Love your stuff!!
    Jacque

• Mark & Nicki Wintch 10.07.2012 at 22:14

Hey there Miss Mandi! This is Nicki, the eldest of the “Sisters!” that came your awesome party!! I sent you an email of some of the projects I have done with my Command sprayer. I am anxiously awaiting your response!!!! Thanks again for an awesome party and being such a doll!!

• perfectprospect 10.07.2012 at 22:19

That rocks! Great job! it so would have kept you on the show I am sure.

• Cindy deRosier 10.07.2012 at 23:04

I didn’t think you should have been eliminated in round 1, as you clearly used the greatest amount and most widest variety of junk drawer items. I love the finished product.

• Kayla and Andrew 11.07.2012 at 05:58

The Redemption Craft turned out so cute! You have such a fun personality and I love reading your blog/seeing your Studio 5 clips!!

• Kayla and Andrew 11.07.2012 at 05:59

• Anonymous 11.07.2012 at 08:22

U ROCKED IT Ms. Mandi-G!!! It’s 1:00 am, I just finished watching Craft Wars for the first time (yeah, it comes on at 12:00 pm in California) and I just KNEW you had won the 1st round hands down WITHOUT painting the bird house because you took the most drawer junk and applied it creatively as opposed to the other two contestants. Anyway, I’m glad I watched the show because now I have your blog to read and be inspired to dream-create-live! PS…what was the round rope item you were gluing that was edited out???

• Rose 11.07.2012 at 08:50

I love it – so original. You win first prize from my side. I have pinned this image.

• astr!d 11.07.2012 at 16:22

if you only had a few more minutes you would have taken that show!! lol i think the redemption craft bird house is stellar! good for you for making it a positive experience!

• Jess@craftiness is not optional 12.07.2012 at 03:32

If you had time to paint it you would definitely have moved on! It looks much better with the paint, and love the stenciled words! I was rooting so hard for ya! 😀 It looks like you had a lot of fun nonetheless!

• BethW 12.07.2012 at 04:51

I quit watching after they gave you the boot.In my-evidently unlearned-opinion you built the only bird house worth having.And I actually liked it more before you painted it.Birds would love it-and my insane squirrels would think they were in DisneyLand.Please note I live in swampy So GA so my tastes in all things crafty might be suspect.

• BethW 12.07.2012 at 04:51

• Holly G 13.07.2012 at 01:09

I made my mom watch this with me today on the DVR…My mom was like you totally should have won! Do you ever think about going on Design Star? That would be a fun but scary challenge but I’m sure you would be perfect for. Maybe there should be a show called Blog Wars? Love the new and improve bird house!

• Susan Stewart 13.07.2012 at 03:30

Thought the hour they gave you was a ridiculous amount of time. Following you on facebook and pinterest now.

• Barbara 16.07.2012 at 16:43

I love that you took the time to make the one you would have made with more time…I think it looks great (:

• Heather 19.07.2012 at 03:56

im pretty positive we will be watching you on next seasons design star.

• Laura@Corner House 19.07.2012 at 05:33

I totally saw where you were going before. It is amazing what 10 more mins can do. It is so cute all done. I always think it is funny when the judges are all like, “you should have done this and this and this” and all I can think is. “umm, you gave them an hour. pretty sure what you just told them to do would have taken more that an hour.” And then the “master crafts” are not all so masterful. You could have kicked at the master craft.

• Make birdhouses for Garden (20 Ideas) - Craftionary 27.08.2014 at 20:26