Easy Front Porch Update

The chevron shutters (which are still not 100% finished but can be seen here) motivated me to take our boring entryway and make it something a little more…Mandilicous?

Entryway Update Before and After[3]

Enrtyway Update[7]

I picked up the rug at Homegoods for $19.99. The colors are so fun and summery and because its flat woven (as opposed to having some sort of pile) it is really durable. I am interested to see how it washes over time, if the colors fade in a good way or in a not good way. I know that bunches of you bought these type of rugs so I am interested to know what your experience is!

The large white pot and yellow garden stool are also from Homegoods (around $50 each) I love the punchy-ness of the yellow, it makes me smile!!

Bird Statue[3]

The flower is called Blue Nile and I got it from Lowes ($15.00). The best part? It has a one year warranty, so the fact that it was looking a little droopy when I got back from being out of town for 2 weeks gives me a little piece of mind if she doesn’t perk up.

Blue Nile Flower[3]

I still need something awesome for the door, but I am coming up a little blank, any suggestions?

Entryway Ideas[3]

Love Your Guts, Mandi

• TMykula 19.07.2012 at 17:38

Ok, a couple of thoughts for you regarding your door. What about painting one of those really ornate picture frames in a bright teal green, pulling from the rug, and then make it into a chalkboard. I know this idea is possibly a little overdone but i think it would be fun to leave messages for your guests and or they could leave them for you if they popped over and you were out. Idea 2: You could hang a galvanized bucket of sorts on your door and plant some sort of bright seasonal flowers that will grow out of the bucket and trail down your door. Idea 3: Find a local artist that works with metal and have him/her make an oversized “G” for you, either really modern and chunky or, and this would look more interesting i think, a “G” that was really organic with all the wire woven together in a messy, crazy way. you could use it in place of a wreath but still embellish it with the seasons if that’s your thing. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

• ruthie 19.07.2012 at 17:44

I love the yellow – such a happy color! You might be interested to know that I used one of your ideas in a little different way. Your PVC pipe dresser was an inspiration to me when my hubby was building bookcases in our family room. The top shelf was too short for anything, so we decided to put a string of lights up there. Then the lightbulb went on in my head and I thought the same idea would work. I’m in LOVE with it. The circles of light look awesome! Check out my blog if you would like to see it.

• Danavee 19.07.2012 at 18:05

That is one awesome entry.

• stephaniegiese 19.07.2012 at 18:21

Your entry loos great. I think a fun monogram in a really bright color would look awesome on your door.

• Jess 19.07.2012 at 18:24

Love it! My suggestion is either house numbers on that horizontal middle door slat or a big letter representing your last name (as mentioned above) painted in a bright fun accent color -maybe yellow!

• Emdavis 19.07.2012 at 18:40

I had an idea similar to two of the posts. Maybe a wood or metal G hand-painted in teal and yellow chevron stripes. The shutters and also the pattern in the rug would compliment each other.

• Emdavis 19.07.2012 at 18:45

• Anonymous 19.07.2012 at 19:11

How about a small rectangular window at face height with old time bubble glass and a wrought iron cage on top of it with larger nail heads on horizontal places? You could have a little door on the inside to open and close to peek out and see who is standing on your porch or let a tiny bit of light in the entryway? Plus, it will give some more weight to the door itself? Love, LOVE your Blog and your spunk! Elle

• marty (A Stroll Thru Life) 19.07.2012 at 19:55

Oh it looks fabulous. I love the yellow. Hugs, Marty

• Jenn Sandberg 19.07.2012 at 20:47

It looks great! Here’s some ideas I thought of for you to add:

1. bright colorful (even a nice white) window box with flowers under your chevron shutters. you could even put your house number on this. just saying.
    2. welcome sign on blank wall (right side) at the top. add small chalkboard message board underneath (with cool drawer pulls to hold chalk) to the left. then a take a medium size metal bucket and cut it in half for some awesome flower pots mounted up next to the mssg board on the right.
    3. like the “g” idea for the door. maybe on top of a shape like a circle or star…i like the idea of metal with a punch of blue to tie in.

• Karen 19.07.2012 at 21:14

My “inital” (tehee) thought was a moss “G” inside a bright yellow round wreath. It brinds to mind the @, saying you are “at” the Grubers (sp?) and you could add flowers or whatever to the wreath and change them seasonally. I have a picture in my head- I hope I explained it well enough for you to see it :0) Well, crap I am at the end of my comment and didn’t get to use anymore “quoty things”

• Anne 19.07.2012 at 23:39

I love that giant pot!!! Great job on the makeover. It looks so inviting!

• Anonymous 20.07.2012 at 00:56

I think you have some great suggestions above but just want to add that you really need a peep hole or small glass window so you can look out and see who’s at the door before you open it. SUPER IMPORTANT!! I think that’s what the skinny window to the left of your door is for but since you have blinds on it I’m guessing you don’t peek out of that window.

Love your blog!!

• Lori 20.07.2012 at 01:53

I don’t think you need anything on your door. Love the pots.

• Tracy Suzanne 20.07.2012 at 07:01

The colors really do make your entry pop Mandy. I love the new chevron shutters. That was an amazing project. And that door is so pretty. I don’t think you want to do too much to take away from that. It seems like a lot of your readers have the same idea in one form or another. I was thinking of a moss G too with a yellow or yellow and white stripe ribbon to hang it from. Whatever you come up with will be beautiful I’m sure.

Tracy @ Cotton Pickin Cute

• Kim 20.07.2012 at 10:40

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Kim 20.07.2012 at 10:44

Since the entrance has a clean look and the door is amazing, i would not cover it up with anything but just add your house numbers in a cool way. Either with different styles of the metal numbers so it looks eclectic or by using found objects (like the birdhouse) that might represent the Gublers, and then forming the numbers and making them look like zinc.

• Pam 20.07.2012 at 12:24

Grey paint and black hardware on the door would be nice.

• Nat 20.07.2012 at 13:46

Love love love it! I could do a simple front porch like this…I’m not so froofy as some I’ve seen! Great work, your door is a piece of art–doesn’t “need” anything…but you’ll know it, if you find it! Thanks Mandi, always inspirational!

• Angel 20.07.2012 at 14:35

I like it just the way it is! I think it is perfect and agree with Nat above that it is not too “froofy” and is very inviting.

I think I could do this makeover. The outside of my house is pathetic right now, overgrown and shabby. Sad sad.

• Anonymous 20.07.2012 at 15:12

Do your house number in Roman numerals using all the colors you have used. Or a board with one of your favorite sayings like “crap we’re awesome”. That would be sweet! Good luck!

• South Shore Decorating Blog 20.07.2012 at 17:09

Wow, just goes to show what a pop of color can do…looks great!

• marissa 20.07.2012 at 17:51

it turned out great. I just need to do small things. I’ve got total decorators anxiet

• eranfaraway 20.07.2012 at 19:49

What about a whimsical door knocker? Perhaps you could tie the chevron shape with the sunny pops of color together with it

• Anonymous 20.07.2012 at 20:05

Looks great. Those flowers are AMAZING!

• cathy z 21.07.2012 at 12:10

I agree with eranfaraway – a bright whimsical door knocker and call it a day!

• Anonymous 21.07.2012 at 12:18

Looks really nice. The letter wreath, door knocker, or the collected/zinc house numbers mentioned in the comments are both great ideas. I was thinking when I saw it that it’s missing the “jewelry”. There is the brass on the doorknob but no entry light or house numbers. If you’re heading out of town again you might want to try one of those glass bulbs to water your plant when it gets dry. The flowers at our front door hit the bricks recently when my hubby hurt his back and had to have surgery. Love the colors you chose! I painted my front door chartreuse and you can’t believe the people who don’t understand it so your pops in your rug and stool were very affirming. :) Linda

• Cathee 21.07.2012 at 23:02

I think something above the transome window above the door to bring your eyes up. That would take advantage of the architecture of the high entry.

• Christina 23.07.2012 at 14:15

Why not frame the high window above the door?

• Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva 23.07.2012 at 21:01

love you style and flair…that door is screaming red to me!!!

• Brooke @ Inside-Out Design 24.07.2012 at 13:35

I love your porch accessories- they’re so pretty and cheerful! How about a bright yellow door knocker? :)