Don’t hate me when I tell you this…I have had this project done since January. BUT I couldn’t show it to you because I had to redo Dylan’s room to do it justice! We’ve all seen the cute kitchen play sets from repurposed crap (I super love this one from YHL)
We arent really a kitchen type family, BUT we are a dress up type family.
Dun dun dun dun!Pin It
So cute right!?!
So do you want to know how to bust it out?
Start with an ugly entertainment center (I found this one on Craigslist for $20)
After removing the unneseccary elements (doors, shelves etc.) it looked like this:
Also for those that are new, we have a rule at Vintage Revivals call Don’t Judge My Hoard. So please abide by it. Thankyousomuch.
The first step was to get the closet door attached. Bought a piece of ply and had it cut to the right size at the store. We originally used MDF but were concerned with the durability and switched to 3/4 plywood. A few of the pictures below show the MDF before we decided to switch.
We attached it with hinges (by we I mean Court)
Then I trimmed it out. (ALL BY MYSELF!) I used preprimed chair rail moulding. Just make sure before you head to Home Depot or Lowes that you measure EVERY SINGLE THING. Got it?
I used my trusty nail gun to attach it.
Notice the gaps in the moulding at the hinges. I needed a small cut out of it to accommodate them. This could be SUPER complicate if you want it to be. Or you could do it the easy Mandilicious way. Cut a piece that is the right height and then cut it skinnier so that it still lines up. Hold on let me just show you.
Then you just putty the seams! Awesome right?!
The paneling was pretty easy to install. You can have your home improvement store cut it the right size but you will most likely have to notch out some corners. Then just slide it in through the back.
Because we were installing lighting in it we needed a sturdy back piece. This we had cut to exact measurements to fit in that space. If you are doing this take this thickness into account when you are measuring for your inside panel pieces or else you will have to trim them.
Now its time to putty, caulk and paint! Make sure you clean it REALLY well before. Rough it up with 150 grit sandpaper and use Kilz to prime. I needed 2 cans of Kilz and 3 cans of Krylon White Gloss.
Oh and you need to make sure that your elements all fit in the space.
For lighting I used super cute Jelly Jar lights from Home Depot (they are like $8-$10 each). And because you are not hardwiring it you will need a cord with an outlet plug at the end (these are like $5-$8)
Drill a hole for your wire and screw in your crossbars.
You will just use wire nuts to connect the cord wire to the light wires
and after you screw the light in place you are done!
*If you are not familiar with electrical work you can always contact an electrician to help you! Also we used a SUPER low wattage bulb so that it doesn’t get too hot and have made my daughters aware that under no circumstances are they allowed to touch the lights.
I will be posting a tutorial later this week on how to paint the wood grain ply.
Once they were painted we attached them to the sides with short finishing nails.
The door was trimmed out once it was attached also.
We super lucked out with the mirror, there were small spots all along the edges that we could put screws. If you are using a mirror that doesn’t have this you could glue it on with Gorilla Glue and I think it would be fine.
I will be posting a tutorial for how to make 3D play makeup too!
You can see the other elements in Dylan’s Room Makeover Here. If you have any questions leave a comment and I will do my best to answer it there!!
If you liked this project I would love for you to vote Vintage Revivals for the Best DIY Blog over at Apartment Therapy. The top 6 become finalists and I am currently #7….And I am FREAKING out! You have to register with Apartment Therapy to be able to vote but it’s the easy 30 second FB kind! You guys are AMAZING!
Love Your Guts, Mandi