The Epic Room Makeover Nightstands and Lamps and How To Make A Space YOURS!

So far I have shared quite a few tutorials and info about the Epic Room Makeover.  There are also a few of the really big projects that I am working on the tutorials for (and maybe a video or two) but today I wanted to share a little about the smaller things that don’t really need a tutorial but are hugely important in the grand scheme of things!

I found these nightstands at the DI (utah’s version of Goodwill) they were in 2 different parts of the store and the difference in the prices was CRAZY.

Final ERM 4 243

One was priced at $10.00 and the other was priced at $50.00.  NUTS right?  So what did I do?  What I do best.  I called one of the managers over and pointed out the craziness.  He was so nice, he ended up selling them for $25.00 total. Did you know that most of the time all you have to do is ask?  I don’t get a discount every time I ask, but its worth it when I do!

Look at their cute little feet and wheels!!

So first things first.  Remove the hardware, tape the things that you don’t want painted and get to work.  I painted these with Krylon’s Classic Gray. (ps for those of you who follow me on FB know that as I was cleaning out my garage I posted a question asking which color of spray paint you think I have the most of and Classic Gray is the winner!) Also I love how it looks pigeon toed!

I didn’t glaze them because lets face it, not everything needs to be glazed to be awesome. I love how they turned out and I wish I could find some more for my Master!

ERM 4 118

Now to the lamps.  Oh the sweet, sweet lamps.  They started out as your run of the mill sassy brassy thrift store goodness.  Actually I had an impossible time finding a matching set but these were pretty dang close.  And perfection is boring AND lame, so there ya go.

Erm 108

Now if you have followed my blog for more than 5 minutes you know that I am a Kilz primer and Krylon spray paint girl.  But there are sometimes products that are better suited for stuff like this…Enter da da da!

Krylon Duel!

Kilz is too heavy of a primer to use on something like this.  Dual is PERFECTION in a can.  Make sure you wipe them down really well first and get to spraying.  I didn’t have Sun Yellow Dual but I did have white so I painted it white first and then Sun Yellow.   One of my fave things about not using Kilz is that the lamps had a really high gloss to them. (Kilz will take that away, did you know that?)

The lampshades are from Ikea.

They come like this:

ERM 3 092

If you are going to put something on them now is the time.  I used my Silhouette to cut out a man and a woman figure.

ERM 3 094

See the little holes?  That is where the metal piece goes to hold it on the lamp.

ERM 4 125

So some people may wonder why.  Why in the world did you put the universal sign for a restroom by these peoples bed?

To that I say, why not?  Its fun and quirky and pretty hilarious.  Adding a small touch of humor to a room makes it REAL.  It makes people feel comfortable there. Remember my lampshade? And the pillow in my bedroom?

If you feel like you are struggling to make a space YOURS then adding something that you LOVE especially if its quirky instantly injects life into it.  Try it, I triple dog dare you.

Epic Room Makeover Giveaway Unveiling

Broken Cane Chair Update

Old Door Into Headboard

Thrifted Nightstands

Man/Woman Lamps

Hanging Garden Basket Chandelier

Roman Numeral Wall Art

Board and Batten Wall Treatment

• Jadyn 06.09.2011 at 13:28

I love those night stands! Thanks also for the reminder that it never hurts to ask for a discount when it’s warranted!
    And those lamps are great, the perfect quirky touch to a lovely bedroom!

• 06.09.2011 at 13:28

I love your stuff. Makes me realize I need to hit the old goodwill store more often.

• Angela 06.09.2011 at 14:10

Love this!

• * Nancy * 06.09.2011 at 15:14

Thank you for the useful info…I am going to make a run to the DI this week and hopefully apply your awesome tips!!

• Dharma 06.09.2011 at 16:07

I thought the stenciled lampshades were GENIUS! I also thought they were dangerous should someone get up disoriented in the night and forget to make it down the hall :) Humour is good, in any room. Keep it up Lady!

• Kate @ change of scenery 06.09.2011 at 16:49

I definitely hear you on the humor. I love adding a touch of hilarious to any space because 1) it’s a conversation starter and 2) it helps me remember to not take things too serious.

So kudos to the restroom icons – I’m working on some artwork for my bathroom that will probably get the same kind of questions.

Change of Scenery

• LuciRae 06.09.2011 at 20:17

OK it’s official. I need a Silhouette. Only a few more months till Christmas:) Plus we just got an IKEA in Denver. It is like an epic land mark now. Think I might need some new lamp shades!

• BlueJennmc 07.09.2011 at 00:25

My first visit to Ikea was this weekend and the first thing I wanted was that rug…’s so beautiful!!!

• Barb 07.09.2011 at 11:27

You are too funny, but your work is down right genius.

• Alisha 07.09.2011 at 14:29

Love the lamp transformations. And your info on painting the bronze lamps was awesome – I’m about to tackle a similar venture. Do you remember the name of the IKEA lampshades? Thanks!

• Steph @Silver Boxes 07.09.2011 at 15:30

My real life designer mom always tells me that “Every room needs a touch of the unexpected; something that makes you smile.” Those lamps fit the bill! Just tell your critics that you’re following expert advise. *wink, wink*. :) Love your blog, Mandi! Keep up the awesome work!

• Amanda Hill 07.09.2011 at 16:42

I love it! You have to have something ugly/pretty in every room. It has to make you smile or its out!

• Whitney 08.09.2011 at 03:16

I just had to pop over and tell you thank you so much for you sweet comment on my blog. It was so kind of you to share your encouraging words with me. You are so sweet and I truly appreciate your kindness.

• Red Door Home 08.09.2011 at 12:36

Visiting from Isabella and Max Rooms. So glad I found you. I guess I am an under the rock dweller too! Hope you will stop by and say “hi.” Stacy

• Maury 08.09.2011 at 12:39

So I just came over from Isabella and Max Rooms and YOU ARE AWESOME! I’m so excited to find your blog. I’m a new follwer.

• Judy 08.09.2011 at 13:09

Apparently I have been living under the same rock as Janell. I’m so glad she posted about your blog and that I’ve found you. I love your stuff. Awesome. I am your latest follower. I would love if you would stop by and say hi and consider following me back. Looking forward to keeping up with each other’s blogs. So glad to “meet” you.

• Cathy Wall 08.09.2011 at 16:59

Mandi I am also visiting from Isabella & Max Rooms. What a delight to have crawled out from under my rock so that I can enjoy your great sense of humor,delightful projects and totally fun blog!
    Cathy @ Room Rx

• Emily @ EAKaHouse 08.09.2011 at 17:29

What a great find! I love thrifting, I just can not believe how outrageous their prices seem around here. I swear my local SA has no furniture under 50$ and most if over 100$. YIKES!

• Ashley @ LML 08.09.2011 at 17:42

I found a photo of one of your stenciled walls and pinned it to pinterest just yesterday. LOVE your site, and was happy to see you mentioned over at Isabella & Max!

life in the married lane a little blog full of big inspiration

• jamie 08.09.2011 at 21:57

I am in love with all of your decorating skills….you are AMAZING! Thanks for inspiring me to look out side of the box. You have mentioned before that you use Krylon classic white, does it say classic white or are you talking about just Krylon gloss white? I am about to spray some end tables and would really love your help!

• Heidi 09.09.2011 at 08:11

You are great. I love reading your posts. Keep on rockin’ it, girl!

:) Heidi

• designchic 10.09.2011 at 03:04

You are too funny. Love all of the great work in the room, especially the lampshade!! Thrilled to find your blog ~

• Momma's Ramblings 10.09.2011 at 12:48

Okay, I am definitely inspired…time to hit the thrift shops!

• Cassie {Hi Sugarplum!} 10.09.2011 at 14:46

You are one lucky-duck when it comes to finding treasures!!! Or maybe you just see potential better than I.

Hope you’re having a great saturday!

• .Candy. 11.09.2011 at 14:49

You have great ideas! Thanks for sharing them. I hope I can do some projects soon!

• reneweduponadream 13.09.2011 at 01:09

I loooove those nightstands! I’m on the hunt for some nightstands to make over for our bedroom right now. I wish I could find some like those! Hope hope hope… fingers crossed I’ll find some pretty ones soon!