Today I am going to shed some light on the mistakes that I have (and some that I have seen others) make throughout my year of blogging. These are just my opinion; no one needs to get all crazy about it, deal?
10. Not having a picture of yourself on your site! I hate when I am reading someones blog and I have NO clue who is talking to me. It doesn’t have to be profesh or anything. I don’t care if it’s a glamor shot from 1989. It gives me insight into who you are.
9. Word verification on commenting. Just take it off. Did you know that blogger automatically screens for spam without it? It filters all mine out and it will filter yours too.
8. Not having your email linked to your profile. Talked about it here.
7. Leaving comments asking people to follow you. Or enter your giveaway. Just leave a nice comment that makes them want to click over to your site and put a face with the name.(See No No #10) You are awesome and they will do it on their own!
6. Assuming that everyone that reads your site has always read it. I am SOOOO guilty of this. A quick background story on a post with links to previous posts that apply to what you are talking about are a MUST. Sorry for everyone that has had to endure Vintage Revivals before I learned this small truth.
5. Once again assuming that everyone will go digging through your archives to find something that you blogged 7 months ago. Everything should be accessible to a reader in 2 clicks or less. (Once again I am guilty of this…but working on it)
4. Automatic music on your site. Hate when I am supposed to be cleaning during naptime and instead I am blog hopping and all of a sudden Katy Perry blasts out of my computer waking the kid up.
3. Being negative. I am a huge advocate for people being real on their blog. We are all real people with real lives and real problems. If you have something awful happen to you by all means share it. Even share about it a few times with updates but don’t let it take over your blog. I have 2 friends that are perfect examples of this. Rachelle and Joonie. Click over and see how they have handled their situations with grace.
2. Using someone’s project, images and words as inspiration and not giving them credit. Trust me, your readers are not going to think less of you if you link back to someone's tutorial. Even if you change it up and write your own there is NO harm in linking to their blog. I promise.
1. Being rude! You know that this had to be my #1 right?! If you feel the urge to tell someone that you think they/their project/their blog sucks or if you feel like you cant attach your name and email to your comment DO NOT DO IT! There are ways to offer your opinion without being being a jerkhole. I am not saying to automatically go along with what the blogger is saying if you disagree but use some tact. Or else you will be a guest on My Favorite Hate Mail.
Ok so what did I miss? What are the No No’s that you have done, or seen others doing?