Teacup Clock

teacup-clock

This has been the longest project of my life.  I have been working on it off and on since april.   It just wasn’t ever right.
Do you brilliant minds ever have stuff like this?
But finally it got done.  I wish I could say that I as the creative genius behind it but alas I am not.  Erika @ Retropolitan Hip is.  Her blog is awesome and she is my partner in crime in many an idea/business venture.  She is probably the funniest person that I know and I love her so much!  The inspiration piece:

Cute right? Its like $400.00 from Umbra
This lovely is Erika’s version:
And this is mine:

The teacups were all found at antique stores, thrift stores, or TJ Maxx.

So do you want to make one too? Here are the steps:

1.  FIND A CRAPLOAD OF CUPS!  I have probably 6 more sets that I didn’t use.  You have to play with them and get them in the right spots so that it flows.  It would be much easier if you were only doing a few colors but who likes to do things the easy way???! pfssh not this girl.  After you have it set up the way you want number them!!!  That way you wont forget!!

2.  I got the wood at Homie D’s.  It was months ago so I don’t remember how much I spent.  Its just particle board.  I stuck a pin in the board and attached a string and pencil to it and drew a circle.  Then I had Macho cut it out for me.

3.  I modpodged paper onto it.  I hated it.  So then I modpodged tissue paper onto it.  eeeh.  So then I painted it white.  Much better.

4. Of course I covered the center mark.  Awesome.  I had to rediscover the center so I measured the width and marked the center point at a few different angles and it looked like this:

Then Macho drilled a hole for the clock mechanism.  I just used one off a clock that I already had but I am sure you can buy stuff if you want to go the “expensive” route…ha ha ha.

5.   I used Gorilla Glue Epoxy to epoxy all of the teacups to the saucers and then the saucers to the wood.  Seriously this is the strongest stuff on earth. period. end of story.  Dont even try to use something else…you may regret it.

6.  Then I had Macho mount it to the wall.  This thing is freakin heavy.  I was kind of worried about it falling off and killing someone so I had him screw it directly through the clock face into a stud.  Then I painted the screw and you cant even tell.

There you have it! This treasure cost less than $50.00 and I LOVE it!

”DIY

DIY Club

• Decor Createur 27.08.2010 at 20:51

K that clock is freakin awesome!!! Love It! I’m so excited to see what else you’ve worked on

• brendleca 27.08.2010 at 20:58

Mandi. I’m so glad you finished it. It looks awesome. Where are you going to put it?

• brendleca 27.08.2010 at 21:00

Duh…above your door. Sorry I was too busy admiring the clock to see it’s residence.

• ~Hurricane B~ 27.08.2010 at 21:20

I LOVE THAT!! Plus having it cost 350 less is always a bonus.=)

• Ashlee 27.08.2010 at 21:50

Wow, what a fun idea. I love it. Just an idea for other readers – I know you can also buy wood rounds at Lowes. Shelley at House of Smiths bought one for her stop sign table – do you remember that? http://houseofsmiths.blogspot.com/search/label/Furniture%20Re-do

Anyway – awesome job – I love the clock!

• Randi 28.08.2010 at 00:18

I could not love that more! I think I have to add that to my project list. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from Tatertots and Jello.

• Amy @ Positively Splendid 28.08.2010 at 00:22

Ok – love, love, LOVE this! Absolutely amazing! I adore the vibrant colors you used!

• Anne 28.08.2010 at 00:42

That is SO COOL!!! I love it!

• keepingthechristmasspiritalive365 28.08.2010 at 01:19

This is amazing…Spectacular even!

Well done!

Best wishes,
    Natasha.

• Chic Creations 28.08.2010 at 01:44

I love that! What a cleaver idea. Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

• Alison 28.08.2010 at 02:13

WOW! I am beyond impressed. I ALWAYS have projects I just can’t quite get it the way I envision in my head. Doesn’t it feel good to finally get it done?! Way to go! Love this clock!!!

~Alison

• Cecily 28.08.2010 at 02:34

Totally AWESOME! Love it! I want to steal it or copy it or something! (I guess it would be difficult to steal since you had to screw it into the stud… darn!) Very cool!

• Melissa 28.08.2010 at 02:35

That is a neat idea for my MIL.

• Jennie 28.08.2010 at 03:10

CUTE! SO not surprised! LOVE IT!

Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

• Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com 28.08.2010 at 03:13

Oh my goodness! This is the cutest clock I’ve ever seen! I love it! Thanks so much for sharing this great idea. I’m bookmarking it!
    ~ stopping by from Tatertots & Jello :)

• Funky Junk Interiors 28.08.2010 at 07:43

Aweome! But I admit I was LOL at your writing. Hilarous! This thing looks HUGE. I can’t wait to think of my own rusty rendition of something similar. Great idea!

SNS sidebar love for you this weekend! :)

Donna

• Michelle@Somedaycrafts 28.08.2010 at 08:40

Wow! This is just lovely and interesting. What a conversation piece! I would love something like this for my kitchen. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my “featured” button.

• Ashlee 28.08.2010 at 16:03

Mandi, I just had to come back here and post a comment again after you said that you also had a greedy sister in the bosom department. Well, you know my greedy sister and I know you can attest to it – Marissa Hafen. LOL. Just had to let you know. :) And don’t you just love her – she’s pretty darn fun and hilarious.

• Nikki 28.08.2010 at 16:06

I absolutely love it!! I love how colorful yours is!! Beautiful!!
    By the way, I did my own mini wall of mirrors!! It’s on my blog! Thanks for the wonderful ideas and inspiration!!

• Michelle 28.08.2010 at 16:53

How adorable! I am a new follower!

• Erin The Apartment Homesteader 28.08.2010 at 16:56

I love this! So clever and achievable… I’m your newest follower (:

• Stacey 28.08.2010 at 17:53

Wow, I’ve never seen anything like this and I love it! Your color choices are fab. I think painting iy white was the best choice to highlight the tea cups.

• Teri 28.08.2010 at 17:57

This is so cool! I love love love it!!

• Jenni R. 28.08.2010 at 17:57

It is a treasure! Thanks for persevering so we can oooh and aahh!

• allison @ itstoilegood.blogspot.com 28.08.2010 at 19:59

oh how I LOVE this clock! Might have taken a long time, but it was WAY worth it! Such a great way to repurpose some precious pieces!
    Thanks for sharing! Partying with you at Tatertots!

• Erin 28.08.2010 at 21:05

That is fantastic!!! I love the colors you chose for yours!!

• Two Shades of Pink 28.08.2010 at 21:36

This is amazing! I would never have thought of it and I actually have a collection of tea cups and saucers but I love the contemporary look. PERFECT for a kitchen. But sadly, I do not have enough wall to fit such a big clock. Ah but the dining room…So awesome.

• 1 Funky Woman 28.08.2010 at 22:10

I cannot believe how amazing this is! What a creative way to use tea cups and the colors, wow! I found you through Someday Crafts!

Stop on over to my blog 1funkywoman.blogspot.com for a wonderful giveaway!

Megan

• Carol 28.08.2010 at 22:14

Thanks so much for joining the Favorite Things Friday party… this is SO CUTE!!!

Carol
    antiquetexan.blogspot.com

• Lorie 28.08.2010 at 22:54

This is AMAZING!!! A-MA-ZING!!!

• 1 Frugal Queen 28.08.2010 at 23:41

Well of course I love this! I am in the tea business and you have now given me an idea for a clock in my office. http://www.celebritytes.com
    Thanks!

• Screaming Meme 29.08.2010 at 01:39

Wow!!! You are sooo creative! Hi, Im Meme from Screaming Meme…I stumbled upon your blog and love it! Your clock is so cool! I look forward to reading your blog and seeing more wonderful treasures you create! Stop in sometime for a visit! Meme

• Olivia 29.08.2010 at 04:39

So now I know what’s going on the empty space on my kitchen wall! Great job!

• Grammie/Mom 29.08.2010 at 12:34

This is a great idea! Now I only wish I had space in my small kitchen to do this. Maybe with demitasse cups?

• Ann @ makethebestofthings 29.08.2010 at 16:28

This is just gorgeous! I want to try it with all red cups and saucers for my kitchen, I like it so much. I will probably have to paint them, there are zero chances of finding matching sets at thrift stores. Clever idea, well done!

• Jami 30.08.2010 at 01:08

That is completely adorable. I love it!!

• Hafen Crew 30.08.2010 at 02:01

that is crazy cute! I love it! I’m going to have to hit up all the antique/thrift stores here. You’ve been busy! I haven’t had time to read for a week or so and there’s so many new things! You’re amazing!

• angelgurl 30.08.2010 at 06:24

this is freaking awesome, I want to make one now….I made a clock a month or so ago using a cake plate. I have plenty of spare cups and saucers and think this would be awesome fun to do.

• Tasha 30.08.2010 at 16:36

I LOVE love LOVE this!! I want to do one, I just have no idea where to put it!! AHH! I am your newest follower! So excited to see what else you do!!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Tasha

• Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans 31.08.2010 at 14:39

Oh. My. GOODNESS! This is one of the coolest things I have seen! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

• Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. 31.08.2010 at 14:40

Neat idea!

XO
    Lenore

• jerriann 31.08.2010 at 14:41

Wow, this is the third thing today that I must do. I stinkin love this project. You can bet I’m on the lookout for my own set of tea cups. Loving it, thanks.

• Jen @ Just for Rachel 31.08.2010 at 17:08

Are you kidding me? This is SO cool! I wish I had a big enough spot in my kitchen for this!! Now my brain is thinking about how I could possibly pull this off… :)

Jen

• Heather 31.08.2010 at 20:02

Too cute!

• Renze 31.08.2010 at 22:53

what an awesome project! I’ve collected teacups for a long time, saving them for maybe a bridal shower, however, after that…it’s going to be a clock for sure!

• Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys 01.09.2010 at 04:42

Wow! This clock is gorgeous!! I can tell you have over a doorway but in what room?

• Nike 01.09.2010 at 06:52

Holy cow … that is crazy cool. I’m in love … and wish I was cool enough to pull something that fun and bright off in my kitchen.

• From The Heart Crafts 01.09.2010 at 16:34

Saw your teacups clock while on Twitter, just had to stop by…glad I did. Love it!

• Jenn Erickson 01.09.2010 at 20:26

I found you through the linky on Antique Texan. Love, love, love this project! How fabulous! Mind if I share a link to your post on my FB Fan page? I know my readers would totally dig this incredible project. I’m so happy to have found your blog today! Your newest follower, Jenn

• freckled laundry 04.09.2010 at 00:49

Brilliant and VERY creative…I love your colorful version. Good luck with the DIY contest!

Jami

• Beth 04.09.2010 at 16:04

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this great project. What a beautiful idea, and soooo simple to recreate. I really appreciate all the time you took to post this and share with all of us. It certainly was worth my time to stop by today.

• Its So Very Cheri 06.09.2010 at 01:55

What a great project. Thanks for sharing it and entering the DIY contest.
    I hope you have a great weekend.

Cheri

• Pam 08.09.2010 at 21:36

This is one of the most fun projects I’ve seen in a long while! BRAVO! Pam @ Sallygoodin

• Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk 08.09.2010 at 22:59

You know I love yours more than your inspiration piece. I wanted to let you know that I have featured this project on my blog for my post revealing my August bookmarks. Wonderful job.

• The DIY Show Off 19.09.2010 at 14:06

Oh wow! You did an amazing job! It’s awesome! I want one! 😉 Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Roeshel

• Amanda 05.10.2010 at 11:29

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :)

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here

If you would like a “featured by” button, you can grab one here!

• Patty 22.10.2010 at 15:30

Oh my gosh! I wish I had a place for this in my home. I LOVE THIS! Thanks for the tutorial, you know, in case I move and will make sure my new house has a place for this!

• Kelly @livingcraftilyeverafter 22.02.2011 at 18:48

This is so cool!!! I wish I had a wall in my kitchen for it- dang it! Might have to take some things down (or move possibly) because this is just amazing!

Kelly

• Anonymous 04.03.2011 at 22:32

Aack! I luuurve this. I want to make one. Immediately.

• Mod Podge Amy 11.03.2011 at 03:23

Your version is gorgeous! I love it!

• mommydoll13 12.03.2011 at 15:36

oh man i am so going to have to make one of these for myself love the idea. thanks =)

i have a ton of spare tea cups just hanging arround hehe..

• HerminiaRegolf 15.03.2011 at 19:28

oh, I love, it seems very original and funny.
    A greeting.

• Anonymous 23.03.2011 at 03:05

Mandi,
    Are you thinking of writing a boo k with all your ideas?.

• Jeanne Selep 01.04.2011 at 05:08

I like your clock the best. Enjoy color!

• Connie @pennyforpenny.blogspot.com 04.04.2011 at 20:06

Okay… that is absolutely perfect for my kitchen. Thats my next project! Love the blog :)

• The Double Dipped Life 07.04.2011 at 14:05

This is a fabulous idea! I think I’m going thrift shopping today!

• Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B 07.04.2011 at 15:04

I was in your shop the other day (in Sandy) and even though you were “closed” your hubby let me purchase a little cherry purse for my granddaughter! So thanks, and I’ll be back!!

• c.w.frosting 15.05.2011 at 00:06

This clock is completely FANTASTIC! Great work!

-caroline @ c.w.frosting

• Ann 28.05.2011 at 06:16

I LOOOOOOVEEEE THISS!!!!! I saw it aaaaaages ago, bookmarked your tutorial and started collecting tea cups when I had money/time, and I FINALLY have all I need to make it. Question though, because of the humongous size of it, I’m really thinking of just screwing it directly like you did, but have you thought of what to do when it runs out of batteries?? I’m totally calling my version of Macho over to help me put this baby up, I’d like to not have to screw/unscrew this when I have to switch batteries up… Have you thought of something different to use to hang it up? or heard of anyone who did something different? I’m seriously worried about the weight of it and not using something strong enough to hang it up…
    By the way, I freaking LOVELOVELOVE your stuff!!!

• RMC 07.06.2011 at 19:04

This is epically amazing!

• Nancy Sabina 15.06.2011 at 19:25

I love, love, love this! My Mom is a teacup collector so I MUST make one of these for her. Thank you to Kim at Today’s Creative Blog for sending me over here!

• Homemaker Honey 18.06.2011 at 11:56

I love that with this clock…it’s always tea time!

So fun and pretty!

• Anonymous 18.06.2011 at 20:58

This is a cute idea, but may I suggest using only 4 cups and saucers, at 12, 3,6, and 9. Or making it smaller by using little girls’ teaset instead of full size…just a suggestion…it would weigh a lot less, too…
    …thank you for all your great craft ideas…
    …I am Blue Wolf…

• @pril 26.06.2011 at 21:14

This is a great project. Great for a kitchen or sewing room. Thanks for sharing. I featured this on my blog: http://koolbeenz-blog.blogspot.com/2011/06/gallery-of-featured-crafters-5-with.html

Feel free to grab my Featured Button if you like.

@pril

• Leslie 10.07.2011 at 20:20

Speechless. Except for, “WOW!”

• Anonymous 03.10.2011 at 16:00

I saw this and wanted to try it, but the clock is too large for any wall in my small two bedroom apartment. So, I used minature teacup/saucer sets. It worked like a charm. Thanks for sharing your amazing idea.

• Scrapper Myra 04.08.2012 at 01:59

Very cool. TFS

• ally 05.08.2012 at 23:27

oh wow.. this is WAY lovely & WAY gorgeous. it’s always tea time with this clock – loving it!!

• Kristine 13.08.2012 at 03:18

So I was bored one night and found your page through a stroke of luck… and now I have all sorts of DIY ideas to help decorate and personalize my condo and office. Thanks for being an inspiration.

Here’s a picture of my version:

• Mel the Crafty Scientist 18.09.2013 at 16:30

Love your blog and this project – so creative and fun and interesting! Just wanted to let you know I featured it in my roundup of clock re-dos and makeovers here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

• 16 Awesome Vintage-Inspired Decorating Ideas 14.12.2013 at 09:54

[…] vintage teacups clock (via vintagerevivals) […]

• 15 Ideas to Reinvent Vintage Teacups 02.06.2014 at 14:32

[…] Clock Have you ever imagined it? Neither have we. But once you have set your eyes on this creation, you will love it for sure. We are hooked and hopefully, we can find the time to make one ourselves. Read the tutorial at Vintage Revivals. […]

• Thinking Outside Of The Box: Tips #3 | MaxSold Blog 14.11.2014 at 01:46

[…] Create this fun, and functional teacup wall clock. Throw a B.Y.O.C (bring your own cup) party, tell your guest to bring 13 MaxSold teacups. 12 for the DIY and one to sip from! With this clock in your home, it’s always tea time.  Click here for the full how to.  […]